"Mother" and "Father" should be replaced by "Parent"

2»

Comments

• jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    There isn't. Every child has a mother and a father
    I don't think the OP was referring specifically to biological parents.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    The first item is about two gay women, one of them talks about being a mum, the second item's about a mother who wanted time off to look after the kids. How would replacing words like mother and father with 'parent' change anything there?

In the linked example a female footballer referred to her role as a "mum". Hey what about male footballers roles as "dads"? What's the big difference?

I am not for a minute suggesting do away with "mother/mum" and "father/dad" in everyday parlance.

Just do away with legally different rights and obligations of the two different parties - i,e either sex paternal rather than maternal leave., childcare etc.

What's the big deal about the cabinet now having a mum? It has plenty of dads. A Mum's role / perspective is no different to a Dad's role / perspective.

Of course not having had women in the cabinet is a significant issue.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mother and fathers have different, but equal, roles in a child's life. This may shock and disturb you, OP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they, pugamo? Once the child is weaned - or even before that if he or she is bottle-fed - I can't think of any 'role' that cannot be performed by either the mother or the father. Obviously if one parent is working and the other isn't, that will effect the division of duties. Likewise if both are working. But as far as feeding, nappy-changing, reading to/playing with the child, settling them for the night, seeing to them if they wake up, taking them to the doctor when necessary, etc, etc, and then, later, doing the school run, getting the school uniform, ensuring they do their homework and so on, none of these activities is gender-specific. All can be carried out by either the mother or the father.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Parent should replace mother and father in legislation ...... translates as they should pass a law to ban those words.

It really doesn't, you know.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    In the linked example a female footballer referred to her role as a "mum". Hey what about male footballers roles as "dads"? What's the big difference?

I am not for a minute suggesting do away with "mother/mum" and "father/dad" in everyday parlance.

Just do away with legally different rights and obligations of the two different parties - i,e either sex paternal rather than maternal leave., childcare etc.

What's the big deal about the cabinet now having a mum? It has plenty of dads. A Mum's role / perspective is no different to a Dad's role / perspective.

Of course not having had women in the cabinet is a significant issue.

what you are suggesting is already there, mothers and fathers can split paternity / maternity if they want of one or the other can take it.

Parent is on all other relevant paperwork. Of course a female is going to refer to herself as a mum because she is just like a male will refer to himself as dad. They do not have differing rights or legal obligations
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I like being called Mum - having had a mother myself who insisted on being called her name which made everyone think she wasn't my mum

even though me and my sons dad are divorced, we make equal decisions about whats best for our boy - and sign stuff for school and that

most school letters say parent/carer - he's at special school so there are a lot of looked after children.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I am still not sure what the OP wants that doesn't already exist.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There isn't. Every child has a mother and a father....End of !

No, it's really not. Some children out there have either two mothers or two dads. In other words, gay parents.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moholo wrote: »
    Do they, pugamo? Once the child is weaned - or even before that if he or she is bottle-fed - I can't think of any 'role' that cannot be performed by either the mother or the father. Obviously if one parent is working and the other isn't, that will effect the division of duties. Likewise if both are working. But as far as feeding, nappy-changing, reading to/playing with the child, settling them for the night, seeing to them if they wake up, taking them to the doctor when necessary, etc, etc, and then, later, doing the school run, getting the school uniform, ensuring they do their homework and so on, none of these activities is gender-specific. All can be carried out by either the mother or the father.

Agreed.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Agreed.

I for one am still not getting your point as what you seem to want is already how it is, unless you want kids to stop calling their parents mum or dad which isn't going to happen