100 Years Since The Start of World War 1

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Todaya marks the 100th anniversary of the start of World War 1, Although Britain entered the war on the 4th of August 1914, the actual war broke out on this day, 28th July 1914. So lets all say R.I.P to all the people who died between the 28th July and the 4th August 1914 - Let them never be forgotten! :cry:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Agreed, don't know how this thread got bypassed between the Bridezilla and tonights tea threads
    Lest we forget
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently nearly a full generation was lost in WW1 , R.I.P.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    That's flown by.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the lyrics of the song "The Green Fields of France" sums up the period hauntingly well...

"The sun's shining down on these green fields of France;
    The warm wind blows gently, and the red poppies dance.
    The trenches have vanished long under the plow;
    No gas and no barbed wire, no guns firing now.
    But here in this graveyard that's still No Man's Land
    The countless white crosses in mute witness stand
    To man's blind indifference to his fellow man.
    And a whole generation who were butchered and damned. "

RIP all those who fought and died in the trenches in the great war and of course do not forget the 200,000 + Irish Nationalist, Unionist and none... in fact its reported to be proportionately the greatest deployment of armed manpower in the history of Irish militarism.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, don't know how this thread got bypassed between the Bridezilla and tonights tea threads
    Lest we forget

I missed the bridezlla one..

The Liverpool giants told a good story of ww1 this weekend
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently nearly a full generation was lost in WW1 , R.I.P.

My Grandma's husband and two brothers died in the hideousness of WW1.

Short of utter global catastrophe such a war can never happen again.
    Forum Member
    I didn't have any ancestry that I know of during the First World War, but had some in the second.
    We'd be in a sorry state today without these brave men
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a page on Facebook called "On this day during WW1. 100th Anniversary." The owner of the page will be posting stories each day from the war, as they happened on each day 100 years ago, so it might be interesting to follow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My great-great grandfather died in battle. My great-grandma grew up without her dad.

R.I.P. to everyone who lost their lives because of the war.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    My great-great grandfather died in battle. My great-grandma grew up without her dad.

R.I.P. to everyone who lost their lives because of the war.

Do you know which one and when? Is there a grave you can or have visited?
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off topic but as on Remembrance Sunday let's also not forget the young people in the armed forces still dying in action.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Do you know which one and when? Is there a grave you can or have visited?

My mum knows, I'll have to ask her. I read up on it once but that was about a decade ago.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    My mum knows, I'll have to ask her. I read up on it once but that was about a decade ago.

I've read quite a bit about the Great War and very quickly the numbers become incomprehensible. I remember when our death toll in the current Afghanistan conflict reached 300, and recalled that was the daily loss across the whole trench network just through "attrition."

20,000 British troops killed in one day at the Somme, or 10,000 German troops killed in one mine explosion are just too much to contemplate. IIRC we shot more than 300 of our own men ourselves for so called cowardice or lack of moral fibre.
    Forum Member
    I've read quite a bit about the Great War and very quickly the numbers become incomprehensible. I remember when our death toll in the current Afghanistan conflict reached 300, and recalled that was the daily loss across the whole trench network just through "attrition."

20,000 British troops killed in one day at the Somme, or 10,000 German troops killed in one mine explosion are just too much to contemplate. IIRC we shot more than 300 of our own men ourselves for so called cowardice or lack of moral fibre.

Apparently Hitler lost his testicle in the Somme
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I understood it to be stored within the structure of The Royal Albert Hall.
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought that was the other one.
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »

That's the one his mother chopped of when he was small
    Goebals had no balls
    Ach you know how it goes
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »

Lest we forget, Himmler had something similar...
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A waste of life, especially from an Irish perspective. The poor devils would have been better of staying at home to fight at least they could have died for something they believed in. The only good things to come from WWI are Wilfred Owen`s poems and Blackadder Goes Forth. Bah! Howl!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    A waste of life, especially from an Irish perspective. The poor devils would have been better of staying at home to fight at least they could have died for something they believed in. The only good things to come from WWI are Wilfred Owen`s poems and Blackadder Goes Forth. Bah! Howl!
    What are you too shy to say AZZURRI? :p ... i suppose WW1 in relation to Ireland can be seen in so many various ways....

Thousands of Irish men tragically died, it trained up soldiers to fight in the Irish war of Independence against British forces and without WW1 and the annoyance Ireland was getting to the British fighting in Ireland and Europe those 1916 rising leaders might never have been killed in turn the Irish war of independence might never have gained any ground.

The Irish issue is very very complex in both world wars but all who died in the trenches including the central powers (German, Bulgaria, Austria-Hungary etc) I hope rest in peace.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My grandfather had 3 uncles who were brothers who all died within 9 months of eachother, must have been shocking for the parents, our Irish Catholic people got repaid by being treated like terrorists by the modern British army 5 decades later.

http://www.cookstownwardead.co.uk/person.asp?casualtyid=95
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandfather had 3 uncles who were brothers who all died within 9 months of eachother, must have been shocking for the parents, our Irish Catholic people got repaid by being treated like terrorists by the modern British army 5 decades later.

http://www.cookstownwardead.co.uk/person.asp?casualtyid=95
    And that really is the ironic thing about the Irish fighting for Britain during the wars - the catholics/nationalists in the north in the 60's being treated like 2nd class citizens and Irish servicemen in WW2 in particular who were spat on and treated appallingly bad on their return to the south after liberating Europe.... certainly not proud historical moments for both sides.

BTW RIP Corporal O’Neill, Europe/the west can never repay them for their ultimate sacrifice.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somme you win, somme you lose.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    And that really is the ironic thing about the Irish fighting for Britain during the wars - the catholics/nationalists in the north in the 60's being treated like 2nd class citizens and Irish servicemen in WW2 in particular who were spat on and treated appallingly bad on their return to the south after liberating Europe.... certainly not proud historical moments for both sides.

BTW RIP Corporal O’Neill, Europe/the west can never repay them for their ultimate sacrifice.

There are a few monuments in the unionist areas with all the names on them, including the catholics, just the same as protestant united Irishmen having monuments in nationalist areas, though I doubt the Catholics who died in WW1 were actually unionists.