OIpera Mini approved by apple

andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
Forum Member

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did not expect that.

Apple seems to be opening up a bit more now. Skype with multi-tasking and other music apps in the background and now this. I've got to say, it makes sense for Apple as it gives more choice and competition. It would be nice to see a Google Chrome browser on the iPhone purely to have the bookmark synced OTA like they do on the desktop. That would make Google Sync complete.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Page loading is fast, but it feels like a port and not very iPhone like (the zooming is odd, as are comboboxes. Also a big buggy (some pages on DS wouldn't load). But noticeably faster than Safari.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. It is fast. I notice Opera has Opera Link which syncs bookmarks between Opera on different browsers. Works great on my MacBook and iMac but doesn't seem to want to show the bookmarks on my iPhone yet.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I don't like it.

Fast it may be, but the look and feel of browsing is tacky and very un-iPhone like.

You can't see the writing in portrait mode, if you haven't zoomed in. Also, zooming in has this whooshing motion that feels like it's out of your control.

There's no page bounce either.
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    kyussmondo wrote: »
    I did not expect that.

Nor did I
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it........
  • TheBillyTheBilly Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Tried it on the ipod. It's fast but crap at everything else. Pinch zooming is all or nothing, no UK BBC news page(defaults to international version), can't start threads on DS. That's what I've found so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    I don't like it.

Fast it may be, but the look and feel of browsing is tacky and very un-iPhone like.

You can't see the writing in portrait mode, if you haven't zoomed in. Also, zooming in has this whooshing motion that feels like it's out of your control.

There's no page bounce either.
    Agreed.

There are also a few things that I really appreciate about the Safari browser. One of the them being double tap to zoom. You double tap and it zooms in on the right place. Also when you are zoomed in reading a column on a news site. Scroll through it on Safari then it goes up and down, not side to side like it does in Opera. The Safari method is much slicker because I want to keep reading the text not accidentally move over to the side of the page like it does in Opera. Secondly, I am not a big multi-touch user but the pinch and zoom on Opera is pretty much unusable, it is either 0% zoom or 100%, nothing in between, plus it is so choppy. When I first saw the springy thing in Safari I thought it was a gimmick just to make it look cool, but it actually improves the whole user experience. And it may just be me with my old iPhone 3G but it is quite slow at starting up, plus when you click a link elsewhere then it will open Safari by default anyway.

Yes, Opera has got way more features but it just doesn't have the polish of Safari. I am glad Apple has approved it though and opened up more competition, but it is not for me and this is their first iPhone version so I shouldn't be too hard on Opera. It is a decent first attempt.
  • carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Opera will come on leaps and bounds with future updates for the iPhone. I have been using Opera for years on my other mobiles and it does get better.

It's nice to see Apple finally starting to open up a little.
  • JayElectronicaJayElectronica Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    It's rubbish.

It's only quicker because it barely loads any of the page when zoomed out.

Pinch to zoom doesn't work properly

And, this one's probably my fault, but i can't get Opera Link to work with it to sync my bookmarks
  • andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
    Forum Member
    spotted this video on youtube about security risks with opera mini

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5TM-8YKPcA