Whats your opinions on the Orange network?

dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just curious as to what you think of them? I've just joined and have had to call them a few times about various things, fairly lenght wait to get through, but O2 are the same, then your through to a foreign call centre , one thing that really pi$$es me off is when people say they are doing something and they don't which seem to be the case with Orange.

On the network side of things I've found text messages can be slow to come through, I got sent one at 10pm last night and its only just came through, and have had a few dropped calls, but dont know if thats the iphone or network.

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been with Orange since January 2002 and no major issues, really. Started off on a business tariff as it was the only one that did xnet, back in the day, but am now on a decent Dolphin tariff (coz of loyalty bonuses etc, much cheaper than it should be)... no issues with texting and the few dropped calls that I have had in that time, due to bad coverage where I was calling from, were noted on the bill and I wasn't charged for them...
    Whenever I've dealt with upgrades or address changes it's always been UK based call centres and they've always been fine... touch wood... :D
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you on PAYG? I've never heard of foreign call centres fro Orange contract customers.

I've been with the for about five years. It's OK. I do seem to find that the O2 has better reception in more places that I personally visit, but that might just be my experience.

The worst thing about them is the highly intrusive branding. By that I principally mean the firmware. If you want a smartphone other than the iphone then be aware of this.
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am contract, that was sunday I phoned so unless uk staff where off, yes no branding on my iPhone, yes I find reception to be a bit crap in rural areas.
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always used Orange since I got my first mobile back in 1998 or so. The only problem I've had was when I did my last upgrade and didn't like the handset I got, but they wouldn't let me change it as I'd got it in an Orange shop so it was "sold as seen" - cue me launching a 3 month long war against them, the outcome of which was I got a nice new handset I loved. That aside they're good, and I've not had any problems with signal strength (I live in Manchester but travel all over the country, and aside from a few times when I've been genuinely in the middle of nowhere it's always been fine) or slow texts etc.
  • FatboyfunFatboyfun Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I've been with Orange since the start and my pet peeves are...

1, Their price plans are nowhere near the best value.
    2, If you get a text when you're out of network range they seem to resend it several hours later, usually at four in the morning, which wakes me up.
    3, They send me reminders about viewing my bill online at half seven am.
    4, Customer services takes ages to answer, At any time, Although the call is free. But the on hold music is terrible.
    5, All the special deals are mostly for pre-payment customers.
    6, Upgrades/renewals seem to have a reduced range of phones available.
    7, Reception in rural areas is a bit random.

There are probably more but i can't remember any at the moment.

And they're in the process of closing the call center in Bristol so expect to call abroad for OCS.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah Apple do not allow branding of any sort on their phones, I think other manufacturers should take note and follow suit.

On topic I used to be with Orange and know people on Orange and have never had any problems.
    Forum Member
    I thought Orange stopped "Interfering" with phones a while ago. Last few i've had from the website have had none, They've all been WM phones though.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fatboyfun wrote: »
    I thought Orange stopped "Interfering" with phones a while ago. Last few i've had from the website have had none, They've all been WM phones though.

The past 3 HTC phones I've had from Orange (tytn, tytn2 and Hero) have had no Orange branding apart from on start-up...

Also, regarding price plans, I've always managed to get them to match other providers whenever I've been upgrading/renewing my contract but business use plus length of time I've been with them probably help with that...
    Forum Member
    My Diamond had no branding apart from a little Orange badge on the battery cover and it being SIM locked :mad: There was no software branding at all.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Orange...

Very expensive option
    Average prices, if you have friends and family on Orange
    Good signal, out and about
    The worst, WORST provider for internet.
    I always had trouble understanding their Indian call centre.
    Oranged handsets are ones to avoid.
    Cool name and logo. In the early days, I was proud to tell people I was with Orange.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been with them since last october. I have been trying to bring my old O2 number over and it's not easy. I have the number on my Orange phone now, but can not receive any textes or calls from landlines (it says number not recognised) yet I can phone out and text:confused: Yet I can receive calls from other Orange phones (but not textes)

Are you as confused as I am?:eek:

They say it will right itself in time (LOL, that's helpful) They give me deadlines that always expire without a positive result. Added to this the call centre staff can not understand me and I can not understand them.

Going into an Orange shop is pointless as they refuse to help and say 'you need to call CS'

I can't wait for my contract to expire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I have been with them since last october. I have been trying to bring my old O2 number over and it's not easy. I have the number on my Orange phone now, but can not receive any textes or calls from landlines (it says number not recognised) yet I can phone out and text:confused: Yet I can receive calls from other Orange phones (but not textes)

Contact the Orange Executive Office, explaining the problem and give THEM a deadline to rectify the situation, 3 working days should be sufficient.

executive.office@orange.co.uk

Steve
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just come back to Orange after a few years with Three. Three's coverage just seemed to get worse and worse in my area for some reason??

Orange has very good coverage in my area (Scarborough, N. Yorks)

I'm on contract and the tariff is reasonable value (although not as good as Three)

Only Orange cover my house really well, even though I live in a densely populated area of town. Three cover my house badly and Vodafone, T-mobile and O2 are next to useless.

Customer services have always been spot on when I've phoned them.

To be honest a good signal at my home address is the reason I left Three and as Orange are the only ones that can provide it, that's why I'm with them. Good tariffs are all well and good, but if you can hardly make a call what use is it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I've been with orange for a few years and always had good service...
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    inhouseuk wrote: »
    Contact the Orange Executive Office, explaining the problem and give THEM a deadline to rectify the situation, 3 working days should be sufficient.

executive.office@orange.co.uk

Steve

Thanks Steve, I will do that. This morning's (11am) deadline (that they set) passed and it's still up the creek.