Is the Wii U Dying Before its Begun?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    It's strictly verbotten to to recommend any sort of retail price for the hardware; it's seen as price fixing and Nintendo has already been nabbed for that in the past. And if it was caught again, you can bet your bottom dollar the resulting fine might be enough to put Nintendo Europe in serious jeopardy.

As it is, retailers make next to nothing on hardware. The margins are so slim, that they might as well make a loss on the hardware if it means they can make a fat profit on software.

All Nintendo can do to reduce the cost at retail, would be to somehow reduce manufacturing costs, so that it can be sold to retailers for less.
    I am having a hard time believing this given the amount of press releases for products that come with pricing.

Can you show some info on this, I've never heard of such a thing.

From what I can see about Nintendo it has nothing to do with setting an RRP per-sae.

The issue seems to be that they set the price artificially high and also tried to prevent distributors from importing from cheaper markets and selling in the higher priced markets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2375967.stm

The Vita has a Euro RRP for example.
  • BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    I am having a hard time believing this given the amount of press releases for products that come with pricing.

Can you show some info on this, I've never heard of such a thing.

From what I can see about Nintendo it has nothing to do with setting an RRP per-sae.

The issue seems to be that they set the price artificially high and also tried to prevent distributors from importing from cheaper markets and selling in the higher priced markets.

It doesn't mean that the prices have to be kept high, it just has to be that the EU can prove any sort of price fixing. Keeping the price high or low. It doesn't matter. It's still illegal.

Why do you think that there has been no price announced by Nintendo, for Nintendo hardware until launch? It's been up to the retailers to to set the price, not Nintendo. You wont find any sort of RRP on European Nintendo advertising and there is a very specific reason for that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is there still nothing on the E-shop

I haven't on it in over a month before today and there is about 3 or 4 new items
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    It doesn't mean that the prices have to be kept high, it just has to be that the EU can prove any sort of price fixing. Keeping the price high or low. It doesn't matter. It's still illegal.

Why do you think that there has been no price announced by Nintendo, for Nintendo hardware until launch? It's been up to the retailers to to set the price, not Nintendo. You wont find any sort of RRP on European Nintendo advertising and there is a very specific reason for that.
    I didn't say it only applies when prices are kept high. I was just referencing what happened according to the BBC News article in Nintendo's case, where they tried to artificially control pricing in certain markets.

And you said that any hardware cannot have an RRP. But it does, hence I asked for some source for that as I can only find evidence to the contrary.

Not saying it isn't true, but I can't find anything on it and I see lots of pricing for products in manufacturer's press releases all the time and I can't see why it would only apply to hardware. What makes hardware so special that say, a sofa also couldn't have the same rule.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    I've not played on my Wii U for 4-5 weeks & doubt I'll play it again until Lego City Undercover is released. The delay of Scribblenauts & Rayman has made me lose interest in the machine & it's just sitting gathering dust
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats part of the problem these delays are damaging the machine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I am a bit. I will buy one. But only when the good games get released/price goes down. I bought the 3DS on release with the thinking that I will have the machine from the beginning and can just wait for the big games. Then the price cut happened and that annoyed me a little. So a Wii U price cut is going to happen. So might as well wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the same thing wait until the big releases come and hopefully soon enough a price cut.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another retailer driven price cut, this time its the basic 8GB version. Available for £190 from ShopTo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty good deal still waiting on a premium model cut.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Thats part of the problem these delays are damaging the machine.

Yep. My belief is Nintendo arranged the launch window schedule around Rayman Legends to give the game breathing space. When Rayman Legends was delayed, the launch window seemed sparse as a result. This was compounded by mysterious delays like Scribblenauts Unlimited.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurogamer gave Lego City undercover 9/10
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »

Edge weren't so impressed, gave it 5/10.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »

Hmmm who to believe when everyone is saying it looks great, the trailers are all funny and oh yeah that is same score that edge gave Aliens: CM (make of that what you will)

I think i'll just give edge's opinion a miss on this one, ever since they gave Bayonetta a 10 but didn't give devil may cry 3 a 10 (when they are basically the same only DMC3 did it first and better) i've never really liked them
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Hmmm who to believe when everyone is saying it looks great, the trailers are all funny and oh yeah that is same score that edge gave Aliens: CM (make of that what you will)

I think i'll just give edge's opinion a miss on this one, ever since they gave Bayonetta a 10 but didn't give devil may cry 3 a 10 (when they are basically the same only DMC3 did it first and better) i've never really liked them

have you pre ordered this thomas?

is so, where from?

i want to get a copy with the Chase minifigure
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have you pre ordered this thomas?

is so, where from?

i want to get a copy with the Chase minifigure

I haven't yet, not sure if i'll have the money or i'll need to trade in games

but there may be other places but the only store i've seen the minifig on is http://www.game.co.uk/en/lego-city-undercover-with-chase-mccain-minifigure-202378?pageSize=20&searchTerm=lego%20city
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Edge definitely seem to be unique in their scoring. Everyone else gives it a 7/8/9

So far, the game has a 74 on metacritic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    Edge definitely seem to be unique in their scoring. Everyone else gives it a 7/8/9

So far, the game has a 74 on metacritic.

things will pick up once this and monster hunter appear

im not worrying
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just seen amazon have followed asda in cutting the Wii U price by £50. Might consider buying one still undecided on premium or basic package.
  • gamercraiggamercraig Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Went in my local Asda today, which is a big store of theirs, and nothing for the WiiU at all, still stocking original Wii though
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gamercraig wrote: »
    Went in my local Asda today, which is a big store of theirs, and nothing for the WiiU at all, still stocking original Wii though

Yep! it seems strange that asda are rambling on about discounting the WiiU when they don't even stock the bloody thing! :confused:
  • claymore74claymore74 Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a Nintendo console since the SNES days. Ever since I played Zelda:Link to the Past, I always bought Nintendo. The Snes was followed by an N64, a Gamecube, and then a Wii, which were all pretty much bought on or very near release. There have been many games over the years which I've thoroughly enjoyed playing on those consoles.

2 years ago I bought a PS3. I still play the Wii with my kids, but the gaming experiences (imo) it offers are so different from PS3 that I just have no interest in the Wii U at all. I couldn't even tell you what games are available / going to be available on it as I've no inclination to look.

I don't know why that is, but I'm just not interested.

I don't know if I'll buy the PS4 or next XBox, but there's certainly more chance of me gettng one of those over the Wii U.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I haven't yet, not sure if i'll have the money or i'll need to trade in games

but there may be other places but the only store i've seen the minifig on is http://www.game.co.uk/en/lego-city-undercover-with-chase-mccain-minifigure-202378?pageSize=20&searchTerm=lego%20city

The minifig is at ShopTo as well. http://www.shopto.net/video%20games/wiiu/WIIULE01-lego-city-undercover-limited-edition
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game can't come quick enough, I really hope the system gets going shortly

Nintendos always been niche, maybe it's just the way it is
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    This game can't come quick enough, I really hope the system gets going shortly

Nintendos always been niche, maybe it's just the way it is

I wouldn't want it any other way, would you? Most of the haters genuinely don't have ANY idea how much fun they're missing out on.