Options

What do you refrigerate?

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I get inconstant arguments with my sister over the way in which (in my opinion) she ruins my father's food by putting it in his refrigerator. Tomatoes are the worst, because as far as I'm concerned it simply ruins them, but it's the same with any fresh fruit.

I keep tomatoes for a week or more outside the fridge, in fact I sometimes even put them in the sun to ripen further. In the fridge, they lose all their flavour and then gradually turn black. She even puts things like plums and radishes in the fridge, which seems absolutely bonkers to me. Just about the only vegetable I put in there is cucumber, but I'm not totally convinced that even that is actually necessary.

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I store potatoes in the fridge because I use them infrequently. Never put eggs or tomatoes in the fridge but onions, celery, carrots, garlic all go in there
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like cold fruit, so apart from berries no fruit goes in my fridge. Also, with berries if I think about it in advance I will take them out and leave them to get to room temperature before eating them.

I do put tomatoes in the fridge but that is out of habit. I do agree they are better out of the fridge. I need to retrain myself to stop putting them in.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the climate where you live as to what should go in the fridge.
    If we left tomatoes & fruit out of the fridge for just a couple of days they would go off.Right now @ just after 14.30 local time its 28 C.
    In July, August & September temps. reach 40C
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we left tomatoes & fruit out of the fridge for just a couple of days they would go off.Right now @ just after 14.30 local time its 28 C.
    In July, August & September temps. reach 40C
    The way they sell tomatoes in this country, you could keep them for a week in direct sunlight at those temperatures before they'd be just about ready to eat. I think I'd rather have them sun-dried than ones that are black with frostbite.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The way they sell tomatoes in this country, you could keep them for a week in direct sunlight at those temperatures before they'd be just about ready to eat. I think I'd rather have them sun-dried than ones that are black with frostbite.

your fridge is too cold if they are turning black with frostbite :D
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to refrigerate tomatoes but now i don't and they are so much nicer.
    I generally tend to copy what the supermarkets do with their fruit and veg.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    gradually turn black. .

How long do you keep them in the fridge? We've always kept toms in the fridge, sometimes for a week or two and they've never gone black

We keep eggs and bread in the fridge
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe anyone would not keep eggs in the fridge. supermarkets don't because there is a law against it. Otherwise they would.

We get loaves sliced, and freeze them, then use a few slices at a time.

other than salad stuff, I don't think fruit and veg need a fridge, although it probably helps them keep a day or too longer.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,926
    Forum Member
    I can't believe anyone would not keep eggs in the fridge. supermarkets don't because there is a law against it. Otherwise they would.

other than salad stuff, I don't think fruit and veg need a fridge, although it probably helps them keep a day or too longer.

What law is there that says supermarkets can't put eggs in the fridge?
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is one of the most confusing things I have read on the F&D forums. I think you need to look into you belief systems cos they are faulty.

We never fridge our eggs, or tomatoes.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never keep eggs in the fridge either. Mind you a dozen only lasts 5 days in my house.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    That is one of the most confusing things I have read on the F&D forums. I think you need to look into you belief systems cos they are faulty.

We never fridge our eggs, or tomatoes.

I am using a tablet and struggling to post links. Ec regulations say eggs may not be stored below 5 Celsius. Specifically they should be stored between 5 and 17 degrees.

Having read some comparisons between eu and US, there are differences, and the reasons are interesting. but I am sure I am correct in saying that eggs in the eu may not be chilled. In the light of the US article, maybe our supermarkets would still not refrigerate them, even if they could.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly veg, cooked meats, egg, opened jars/bottles of sauces and beer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always store my eggs in the fridge because six last me for a couple of weeks.

With regard to the tomatoes, my father's fridge does seem to be very cold, even though it is only set at between 2 and 3. It causes constant friction between me and my sister, because she puts them in the fridge and I keep taking them out again. I've given up now for the sake of keeping the peace, but I think it just ruins them. I'm convinced that it would actually be more economical to buy him a pre-packed salad bowl for when he wants a salad, rather than to buy lettuce and tomatoes, etc, which after one meal just lie festering in the fridge. He has a talent for hiding cucumbers out of sight, which often have to be virtually poured into the bin when finally discovered.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,045
    Forum Member
    Salad goes in the fridge, including tomatoes - never had one go black :confused:

Any leftovers go in the fridge

Fruit, eggs, bread never do.
  • Options
    methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    We refrigerate almost everything except Real Ale, Wine, Camembert, Brie, Potatoes, Sweet Potatos, Swedes and Parsnips. Carrots go in the fridge because they taste nice raw and cool.

In the fridge:
    Milk, eggs, boring cheese, margarine, butter, cooked meats, uncooked meat, bread, fruit, salad, ready meals, pre-cooked meal portions, leftovers, pizza, pasties, scotch eggs, ketchup, mayo, mustard, soft drinks, whatever. We even cool UHT milk before opening it.

We try not to buy more than we can eat. There are umpteen local shops if something runs out.

Tomatoes on the vine keep much better in the fridge than loose tomatoes.