Options

Movies that have not one single redeeming feature

Comments

• Options
    MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it isn't! Are you comparing Sonia from Eastenders to Al Pacino from The Godfather? How is it film snobery I couldn't care less if people hated The Godfather like I said before I'm not the biggest fan of it I find it Ok but to say there is absolutely nothing right with it is just moronic.

And to not have the maturity or decency to allow a poster to have their opinion without calling them moronic is just as moronic and quite arrogant to be honest.

But like so many other posters around here....you obviously know best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    kaybee15 wrote: »
    No, I'll let you get it wrong. Again. I am NOT saying that anyone who doesn't like The Godfather has no knowledge of film. That would be ridiculous. I AM saying that to dismiss it as having NO redeeming features AT ALL is not only taking a rather different stand from virtually every film-maker, reviewer and actor in the past 40 years, but also to ignore the influence it has had on film and TV in that period.

So now taking a different stand is wrong...how dare people have their OWN opinions!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    And to not have the maturity or decency to allow a poster to have their opinion without calling them moronic is just as moronic and quite arrogant to be honest.

If this was in the "highly rated films you don't like" thread The Godfather would fit fine but to say its a film that has not one even slightly decent thing about it just doesn't remotely make sense. I don't think I know best but I honestly think its stupid to put films like Shawshank Redemption, Godather, American Beauty or Pulp Fiction in a thread like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why do i think the acting in EastEnders is shite but people win awards for it?

Oh yeah, it's that thing called opinion again :rolleyes:

What we're witnessing here is simply film snobbery and people brainwashed by IMDb lists and Empire magazine brown-nosing.

The acting in most soaps is variable, to say the least, but there HAVE been some competent (even good) actors on the show, who have indeed won awards and moved on to successful careers. EE would not have lasted for nearly thirty years if there weren't, as evidenced by Eldorado, Albion Market, Family Affairs etc. If your 'opinion' (that word again!) is that all acting on EE is shite, then you are demonstrably wrong.

And for your information, I am not brainwashed by IMDB, Empire, or indeed anyone, and certainly feel no need to 'brown-nose' either of those establishments. I like The Godfather, but there are loads of films I prefer to it, depending on my mood any given day. LOTR is not one (three) of those films, because I cannot bear it. However, I can see why they are regarded highly by others, and can in some small way admire the epic feel, the cinematography, the effects etc. So it/they wouldn't go in this thread. It's actually very easy to formulate a subjective AND objective view of film/TV, y'know. On both those counts I stand by my belief that SLOTPM is a worthy addition here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this was in the "highly rated films you don't like" thread The Godfather would fit fine but to say its a film that has not one even slightly decent thing about it just doesn't remotely make sense. I don't think I know best but I honestly think its stupid to put films like Shawshank Redemption, Godather, American Beauty or Pulp Fiction in a thread like this.

Oh thank God and Jeebus. Someone who gets it. Yay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Coming from someone who bangs on about how important their OPINION is, that's a bit rich really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The acting in most soaps is variable, to say the least, but there HAVE been some competent (even good) actors on the show, who have indeed won awards and moved on to successful careers. EE would not have lasted for nearly thirty years if there weren't, as evidenced by Eldorado, Albion Market, Family Affairs etc. If your 'opinion' (that word again!) is that all acting on EE is shite, then you are demonstrably wrong.

And for your information, I am not brainwashed by IMDB, Empire, or indeed anyone, and certainly feel no need to 'brown-nose' either of those establishments. I like The Godfather, but there are loads of films I prefer to it, depending on my mood any given day. LOTR is not one (three) of those films, because I cannot bear it. However, I can see why they are regarded highly by others, and can in some small way admire the epic feel, the cinematography, the effects etc. So it/they wouldn't go in this thread. It's actually very easy to formulate a subjective AND objective view of film/TV, y'know. On both those counts I stand by my belief that SLOTPM is a worthy addition here.

So yet again, someone else's opinion is WRONG because you don't agree with it.
    Excuse me, hello, can you hear me up there on that high horse?

And can i remind people again that the person who started the thread asked what do "YOU" think..........You, the individual.
    NOT what films are universally seen as having no redeeming features. So the OP asked for opinions - not supposed facts based on what you're expected to think being a film fan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So yet again, someone else's opinion is WRONG because you don't agree with it.
    Excuse me, hello, can you hear me up there on that high horse?

Aren't you doing the same to us?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't you doing the same to us?

Not at all.
    I'm saying any person can have any opinion - no one can say it's right or wrong.
    And i'm certainly throwing around phrases like "personality disorder" or "moronic" because a poster politely responded to a question posed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.
    I'm saying any person can have any opinion - no one can say it's right or wrong.
    And i'm certainly throwing around phrases like "personality disorder" or "moronic" because a poster politely responded to a question posed.

I never said "personality disorder" (can't say for the other poster) but I said moronic and I completely stand by it as I feel listing VERY highly criticially and publicly rated films in a thread like this no matter your own personal opinion on a film is just silly. I can't stand Titanic I truly hate it but I'd happily point out things that are good about it even if I don't persinally like the film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now taking a different stand is wrong...how dare people have their OWN opinions!

My opinion was that anyone who believes TG has no redeeming qualities at all displays a total lack of knowledge about film. I stand by this. Your opinion was that it was '...THE single most stupid comment i have ever read in any forum!!!'

Seems like you thought I was wrong. What's the difference? Surely I should be complimented for having my OWN OPINION!!!!?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said "personality disorder" (can't say for the other poster) but I said moronic and I completely stand by it as I feel listing VERY highly criticially and publicly rated films in a thread like this no matter your own personal opinion on a film is just silly. I can't stand Titanic I truly hate it but I'd happily point out things that are good about it even if I don't persinally like the film.

Well bully for you.
    I'm obviously banging my head against a brick wall here. Didn't realise people couldn't have opinions, i'm just baffled that mature adults (which i'm presuming you are one) seem to think that something respected by so many can't be seen in another light by others.

How shallow!

Good bye.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all.

Its not about opinion. It is a about right or wrong, and you are wrong.

Bringing enjoyment to an audience is a redeeming feature. Twilight, Godfather, LOTR; all brought enjoyment to many people. This is fact. This in itself is a reedeming feauture. So, saying that these films have no reediming features is factualy wrong. Can you grasp this, or has narcissism totally taken over?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.

That habit you've got of going back and editing your posts to make yourself look better? You might want to do it on this one.

And for the record, I never used the 'personality disorder' claim either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »

Bringing enjoyment to an audience is a redeeming feature. Twilight, Godfather, LOTR; all brought enjoyment to many people. This is fact. This in itself is a reedeming feauture. So, saying that these films have no reediming features is factualy wrong. Can you grasp this, or has narcissism totally taken over?

I might print this and frame it!!!

What a totally stupid post. Love that "it's about right or wrong" quote - pure arrogance - get a grip of yourself.

If a redeeming feature is enjoyment then almost any film ever made has a redeeming feature.

The shitest film ever made might make you smile or watch out of curiosity - so by your reasoning this thread is totally redundant anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Self-important opinion with no basis in reality > undeniable fact.

FACT!

Oops, I mean - OPINION!

Crap I'm confused now.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Twilight
    What To Expect When You're Expecting
    Bridesmaids
    27 Dresses
    The movies of Sex And The City

I watched 27 Dresses in full and was bored halfway through. It had absolutely no plot whatsoever and was boring as hell. However this is only my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks for making me laugh out loud...brilliant Oxymoron!!

Now excuse me, having found out that i know nothing about film i'm off to destroy several hundred videotapes and DVD's acquired over the last 30 years! Damn you godfather...i thought i was a film buff!!
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might print this and frame it!!!

What a totally stupid post. Love that "it's about right or wrong" quote - pure arrogance - get a grip of yourself.

If a redeeming feature is enjoyment then almost any film ever made has a redeeming feature.

The shitest film ever made might make you smile or watch out of curiosity - so by your reasoning this thread is totally redundant anyway.

The thread is isn't redundant. If nothing else it serves to prove the point that every movie has a purpose, regardless of personal opinion. Filmmaking is an artform after all.

You really should try and be more objective. The irony is that you are calling me arrogant, when you have displayed an inability to see anything that isn't from your self centered point of view. As I said earlier, and I stand by it, this is a trait displayed by many people with personality disorders. Take it personal if you like, but I can assure you it's not.

For most of us it is possible to be both objective and subjective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twilight
    What To Expect When You're Expecting
    Bridesmaids27 Dresses
    The movies of Sex And The City

I watched 27 Dresses in full and was bored halfway through. It had absolutely no plot whatsoever and was boring as hell. However this is only my opinion.

Are you mad!!!!!
    Bridesmaids and Sex and the City have given many people all over the world so much enjoyment so they must have redeeming features. You CANNOT have an opinion :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud...brilliant Oxymoron!!

Now excuse me, having found out that i know nothing about film i'm off to destroy several hundred videotapes and DVD's acquired over the last 30 years! Damn you godfather...i thought i was a film buff!!

Would you, personally, agree that The Godfather has no redeeming qualities whatsoever? Honest question.
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New Years Eve - utter garbage.

I can't think of one redeeming feature of The Godfather either. Not that i'm saying there aren't any that others appreciate, just that i was was so brain numbingly bored by it i can't recall anything.

Can't say it bothers me to share my supposed moronic lack of film knowledge and appreciation. People like and appreciate different things - so what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would you, personally, agree that The Godfather has no redeeming qualities whatsoever? Honest question.

There are a great many people that love the film, i guess that has to be a redeeming feature
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    The Godfather does tend to polarize opinion - I have some friends who hail it as the greatest movie ever committed to film, whilst others can't stand it.

Personally, I don't much care for it. The biggest problem for me is that the subject matter just doesn't appeal to me. Everything else largely stems from that. It's just under three hours long - in itself that isn't necessarily a problem as I've sat through films of that length, but if I'm not interested in the subject matter then it's a long, hard slog.

Would I have mentioned it in this thread? No. It's not to my taste, but I can see that there are certain merits to it. To name one - Nino Rota's score.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Are you mad!!!!!
    Bridesmaids and Sex and the City have given many people all over the world so much enjoyment so they must have redeeming features. You CANNOT have an opinion :rolleyes:

Well I personally didn't think they were all that great. I think they're vastly overrated. I thought this was about opinion? *leaves thread*