Options

Planet Of Fire

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
Forum Member
✭✭
Planet Of Fire is one of those stories where the story itself is probably the least remembered thing about it. There is so much going on in this one it’s unbelievable.

Poor old Peter Grimwade. If you think Terrance Dicks had a hard time of it with The Five Doctors, then feel sorry for this fella. What a brief he had. Peri in, Turlough and Kamelion out. The Master as a villain and the Lanzarote Location which not only served as it’s own location setting but for Sarn as well! How he actually came up with a storyline at all is something short of unbelievable! :eek:

So where do I start? Okay, better get this out the way straight away. Episode 1, Peri in a bikini, it’s a memory that has stuck with me for many years (and hopefully for many more to come;)). However, there was more to Peri than this scene. I thought it was an outstanding debut for Nicola Bryant in the role. She showed Peri could be just as ballsy as her predecessor but in a gentler sort of way. I liked the way she stood upto The Master both for real and as Kamelion. I also liked her relationship with the Fifth Doctor, shame it was so short-lived.

Mark Strickson as Turlough also appeals to some in this story with his swimming trunks as popular as Peri’s Bikini. As far as the story goes though, it’s definitely Turlough’s best since his initial Black Guardian Trilogy. He was finally allowed a change of costume and showed us all the potential Turlough had, had he been used better in the show. I liked the fact that his deviousness was still there. I’m not so sure if it was the exit Turlough deserved, maybe in another story without so may set requirements he could have had a better one, but it sort of worked and was at least plausible.

Kamelion itself was mercifully not shown for long, disguised for most of the story. It was a marvel they even got this much out of the character. Was probably a good thing he was destroyed.

As for The Master, well, for me this was Anthony Ainley’s worst story in the role. This was the one where he really took the Panto Villain to new heights. I know this was not all his fault as he was asked to portray it this way but some of the scenes he is in are just painstakingly awful to watch. I will give him some credit, though, that I thought he played the robotic side of Kamelion quite well. However, the real Master’s demise at the end of the story shouldn’t really have been too alarming as we all knew he’d probably be back no matter what happened to him. Also like The Doctor’s reaction to his ‘death’ in this, more dignified and remorseful than the blubbering wreck who mourned The Master’s death at the end of Series 3 in New-Who.

I’m not sure Lanzarote works well as two different places in the story but it sure as hell did create some beautiful imagery for the story and it looks quite sumptuous at times.

Peter Wyngarde as Timanov, was quite an unusual role for him. I’ve seen him in many things and he always plays this richly spoken bad guy but in this he was a good guy, off sorts, for a change.

As I said at the top, with all these things going on it’s a wonder anyone actually remembers the story itself. I really like it despite all the comings and goings. The thing I notice most about it is that in the first two episodes in particular, The Doctor seems to take a back seat to all the action and it concentrates very much on the battle between Peri and the Kamelion-Master. I liked all the Misos Triangle stuff and the revelation that both Turlough and Malkon have the same mark.

The Sarns themselves were not the most interesting of people and it took both The Doctor's and Master's arrival to shake them up a bit. Turlough's back story regarding the Sarns and his Trion background reminded me a bit of The Doctor himself at one time, on the run from his people, except the outcome is very different in his case as become a free man and returns home.

Planet Of Fire is sandwiched between two really good stories and though it isn't as strong as either of them, it is still a simple straight forward, entertaining story, enhanced by it's location shoot and for me obviously, the introduction of my favourite companion ever.

:)

Comments

• Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a good think about Peri in her bikini when I was younger.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very little of this story sticks in my memory. Peri's debut in a bikini impressed this teenage boy, and her acting wasn't bad either... The location work is truly excellent with the bizarre moonscapes of Lanzarote making for a very realistic alien planet with a welcome sense of scale that a Dorset quarry could never give (although the impact of this alien-ness is sadly reduced by filming the present day Earth scenes in the same place...)

Once again Davison delivers the goods - he's pretty much incapable of bad acting, regardless of what nonsense the script throws at him. Strickson too is probably at his best here, although I disagree with Daveyboy as I think that Ainley isn't at all bad - especially as the Kamelion Master. He's certainly way better than the stupid french knight and the insanely stupid Kalid versions of the Master.

But the story, such as it is, is another horribly confused mess of too many ill thought out ideas. The whole Turlough backstory doesn't really work, and, weel, I know he's an alien, but the audience needs to believe in the character and saddling him with the name Vizlor Turlough somewhow lessens that believability. It just doesn't work as a name. Were his parents a mix of Croatian and Welsh? I mean what was Grimwade (or was it JNT?) thinking?

Kamelion - well we'd all but forgotten about him, and rightly so, but all of a sudden he's an important part of the TARDIS crew, until he suddenly 'dies'. Even Davison doesn't look too sad at his demise...

Grimwade never wrote for Who again, and in many ways I'm relieved. His scripts were always far too busy, with way too many ideas (mostly good ones, but not always connected one) that never really fell together comfortably as a proper story. I'm aware that his stories tended to be ones that had all sorts of requirements imposed on them, so the whole blame can't be laid at his door (write this character in, another one out, get Concorde in there etc etc) and I can't help thinking that a stronger production team, and especially a more hands on script editor, would have improved his stories no end by pruning and tightening up the structure.

But Saward, like JNT, seems almost to have given up at this point. The good stories happen without much of their input (the succes of Androzani for example is purely down to a visceral script from Robert Holmes and some bravura direction from Graeme Harper - more on this tomorrow...), And when Saward and JNT took a really hands on role we end up with horrors like The Twin Dilemma, or Attack of the Cybermen...
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Peri's stepfather shirtless.

Turlough in trunks.

Brilliant!
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    Peri's stepfather shirtless.

Turlough in trunks.

Brilliant!

Woof! :D

I love this story. I have to admit I prefer it to Caves of Andronzani in terms of entertainment value. I think it is a great introduction for Peri.

At the time of first broadcast I wasn't so keen on it because I missed Tegan. But on rewatching I think it is one of the most solid stories of the era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

Once again Davison delivers the goods - he's pretty much incapable of bad acting, regardless of what nonsense the script throws at him. Strickson too is probably at his best here, although I disagree with Daveyboy as I think that Ainley isn't at all bad - especially as the Kamelion Master. He's certainly way better than the stupid french knight and the insanely stupid Kalid versions of the Master.

I never at any point said Ainley was bad, I said it was his worst story! :D

As I said at the top, you can't blame him for playing the role the way JNT wanted him to play it. But for me, this was the worst story to feature his version of The Master because he so overplayed it. You compare his performance to Logopolis, where he was cold and clinical and then again to Survival, where he was more calmer and less panto, you'll see the difference.

In this, there were times when he was just so over the top it was almost embarrassing to watch. He was hamming it up as he'd been instructed to do, but maybe he took it too far.

And I did say he played the robotic part of the Kamelion Master well so on that we are at least in accord!

:D

• Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peri in her two-piece kit
    Turlough still a shifty git
    Tiny Master in a box
    All amongst volcanic rocks
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never at any point said Ainley was bad, I said it was his worst story!

My mistake Daveyboy. And I must agree that Ainley certainly had the potential to be a terrific Master, and, on occasion, he was - I wish he'd argued more against being told to ham it up, because when he played it straight he was excellent.

Incidentally Anthony Ainley was a delightful man. I had a long chat with him at a convention once (probably a Manopticon around 1990 ish) and he was great company. We didn't really talk about Who at all, but about history, politics and the Poll Tax (which was a contentious subject at the time). I think he appreciated being chatted to as a real person, rather than as The Master. After a while it was time for his panel and as he made himself ready he suddenly flashed that evil Master smile and transformed into a performer once again, ready to face his public. It was fascinating and a priviledge to see both sides of him.
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peri, just Peri...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »
    My mistake Daveyboy. And I must agree that Ainley certainly had the potential to be a terrific Master, and, on occasion, he was - I wish he'd argued more against being told to ham it up, because when he played it straight he was excellent.

Incidentally Anthony Ainley was a delightful man. I had a long chat with him at a convention once (probably a Manopticon around 1990 ish) and he was great company. We didn't really talk about Who at all, but about history, politics and the Poll Tax (which was a contentious subject at the time). I think he appreciated being chatted to as a real person, rather than as The Master. After a while it was time for his panel and as he made himself ready he suddenly flashed that evil Master smile and transformed into a performer once again, ready to face his public. It was fascinating and a priviledge to see both sides of him.

I don't like to blame every bad thing that happened on 80's Who on JNT but he did have this knack of not getting the best out of some characters. Anthony Ainley's Master was one, Colin Baker's Doctor was another(more of that on Saturday) and indeed so was Mark Strickson as Turlough. This character had so much potential, it's a crime that after his initial trilogy he was wasted so much until Planet Of Fire and that was only because it was his last story.

I never met Anthony Ainley at any conventions but I've heard numerous stories of what a nice guy he was. Indeed, he was similar to Roger Delgado in this regard. I absolutely agree with you that maybe he should have argued his case more then maybe we could have had more of either the early/later Ainley Master characterisations more. I do know he was quite critical of JNT, though, so he wasn't quite as placid as it may seem.

Peri, just Peri...

Happy days indeed.......;)
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I don't like to blame every bad thing that happened on 80's Who on JNT but he did have this knack of not getting the best out of some characters. Anthony Ainley's Master was one, Colin Baker's Doctor was another(more of that on Saturday) and indeed so was Mark Strickson as Turlough. This character had so much potential, it's a crime that after his initial trilogy he was wasted so much until Planet Of Fire and that was only because it was his last story.

I never met Anthony Ainley at any conventions but I've heard numerous stories of what a nice guy he was. Indeed, he was similar to Roger Delgado in this regard. I absolutely agree with you that maybe he should have argued his case more then maybe we could have had more of either the early/later Ainley Master characterisations more. I do know he was quite critical of JNT, though, so he wasn't quite as placid as it may seem.

Is it on record that JNT wanted the Master to be played hammed up? Wouldn't the directors of the particular episodes also share some responsibility for this?
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    My least favourite PD era story, not for me. Positivers: Some nice location work and the introduction of Peri, who has a decent introduction and is a character I would like in her time in the show. :)
    Negatives: Plot, lack of excitement or action, no empathy with the characters, Kamelion :( (thankfully put out of its misery), Turlough finally given something to do albeit in his swansong, The Master has poor performance as I can remember although I like all the miniturised scenes :).
    Roll on Caves, a masterclass in plot and direction. :cool: :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Peter Wyngarde as Timanov, was quite an unusual role for him. I’ve seen him in many things and he always plays this richly spoken bad guy but in this he was a good guy, off sorts, for a change.

In his most famous role as author/adventurer Jason King in two shows, Department S and Jason King Wyngarde definitely played a good guy
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peri in a bikini was the highlight for me in this story!;):D
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Peri in a bikini was the highlight for me in this story!;):D

This thread will be incomplete until we get a clip from Youtube or somewhere with Peri in this Bikini. :D
    I do agree this is the highlight of this story ;)
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    This thread will be incomplete until we get a clip from Youtube or somewhere with Peri in this Bikini. :D
    I do agree this is the highlight of this story ;)

Will this do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVN9WaKBVvw
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Can I counter-balance this out a bit? Being gay - I rather found Turlough's attire quite pleasing. I never fancied him until this episode.....then sod it - they get rid of him!!
    Must say - Peri did look rather voluptuous!

Anyway - back to the story. I quite enjoyed this one. I'd forgotten all about that daft Chamelion......but at least they made the most of him in his last story. The Master was his dastardly-self! (maybe a bit too much)
    Peter Wyngarde played a gentle role (I remembered him as the suave and sophisticated Jason King from the ATV/ITC series), and I noticed one of the actors that played one of Adric''s mates in 'Full Circle' starred as Malkon's friend.
    The ending was a bit sudden - the Doctor just said bye bye to Turlough, after killing Chamelion not long before, and left with Peri. Sad to see Turlough go......I've always liked the 'Two Companion' set-up ! This was not to be anymore :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Is it on record that JNT wanted the Master to be played hammed up? Wouldn't the directors of the particular episodes also share some responsibility for this?

If I'm not sure about something I usually mention it but it's an interesting point. I am certain I read it somewhere, just can't think where. I'll get looking for it but I'm sure there is some truth in it somewhere.

Yes, the Directors do take some responsibility but how much influence did JNT have over them? You know how much he got them to cut down on Tom Baker's humour in Season 18, so it's possible he had some say. Again not stating a fact, just a possibility.
    Verence wrote: »
    In his most famous role as author/adventurer Jason King in two shows, Department S and Jason King Wyngarde definitely played a good guy

Yeah, I stand corrected. I've never watched either show but I know he was in them. Perhaps the more accurate thing to say was that I personally have never seen him in a good guy role. I've only ever seen him in The Avengers(especially that episode where Diana Rigg was dressed as Madame Sin. Long story, for another day) and shows like it. Usually he is quite outlandish from what I've seen but he played Timanov in this placid way and it is very weird to watch him in this role.
    jimbo_bob wrote: »

You beat me to it! :D
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A pretty weak story, probably the worst Fifth Doctor story of that series (but not the worst story of that series).

Peri certainly gets a good introduction here (obviously very memorable for some of you! ;) ) and it was nice to see Turlough getting to go home. As for Kamelion, I'd pretty much forgotten he ever existed by this point and I think most people had. They'd probably have got away with just leaving him out and never mentioning him again. He was probably a bad idea in the first place (a shape-shifter is too handy a get-out) and obviously given the problems they had with the machine, he had to go.

Beyond the interchange of companions, I agree this was one of Anthony Ainley's poorer stories, though by no means his worst (nothing could beat that idiotic Kalid rubbish in Time Flight).

The story itself - largely forgettable.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I stand corrected. I've never watched either show but I know he was in them. Perhaps the more accurate thing to say was that I personally have never seen him in a good guy role. :D

That's fair enough :)

As it happens I hadn't seen the two shows in question until they were both repeated on ITV4 a few years back
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks good - it's just so dull!
  • Options
    TOSSerrTOSSerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Not a fan at all. Think I'd rather watch TimeFlight and that's saying something.

Marks out of 10.

• Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A very good story.

Two things standout for me in this and it was the doctor killing the master and chameleon.

I would of liked Turlough to stay for at least another story. Just seemed odd they got rid of one companion in the previous story didnt they.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Peri in the bikini, The Doctor in a natty waistcoat, a load of rocks. I can't remember anything else, it is all literally a blank. Maybe I watched it with the volume turned down.
  • Options
    steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main thing that stood out to me was watching the master burning to death.