Your room in your childhood home

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Mine is basically as it was, but also full of tat my parents dump in there :mad::D

I stubbed my toe going in there last month as the door rebounded off an abandoned exercise bike obstructing the entrance. :rolleyes:

Mine ended up with an unused exercise bike in it as well! I sometimes have a go on it when I visit home, but otherwise it just gathers dust. What is it with those things? :p
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My stepsister and I moved out the same year. Her room was eventually turned into a sewing room by my stepmother. Mine was left empty. That was a huge house with six bedrooms, though, and our rooms were right at the top of the house so no one wanted to toil up two flights of stairs.

I have had five kids in a small tgree bedroomed house, so at one point there were three boys in one room and two in the other. Now one gas left, one is about to leave next Sept and the third may or mat not leave in Sept but will defo leave the year after. So for the first time, the two remaining boys can each have their own room. They are so used t sharing they want to stay in the same room and have the other as a playroom.

No such thing here as rooms being kept as they were. Too many of us in too small a space.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine had Dennis the Menace wallpaper, Dennis the Menace bed covers, Dennis the Menace lamp shades, Dennis the Menace drum kit & a Dennis the Menace rug!

I think they were happy when we moved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Mine is essentially the same as I left it apart from the rubbish that my mum and brother dump in there while away at uni. I know as soon as I find a permanent job and place to live that my brother will take his opportunity and move into there. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mine still has my old posters on the wall as i left it in ohh winter of 97.

still has the bed,and bedroom furniture, and has had an addition of a tumble dryer and a chest freezer (mom and dad were stuck for space)

its now a junk/storage room
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    My nan moved into my room, it's since been turned into a study. It does seem strange even now to walk in there, even though I moved out four years ago, as I expect to find my things still there. I do use it as a sanctuary, I will hide in there if we have family gatherings and I want some peace and quiet!
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    I left my childhood and childhood room behind a long time ago. Both of the houses I lived in as a child have long been sold on to others - I only had a room of my own from 13 years old onwards. Before this time I shared a room with my three brothers!

It is nice to look back but there is far too much misplaced sentimentality here.

'Your' room is no longer yours!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum was notorious for chucking everything out. If there was an opposite of "hoarder", it was she. I had only gone about a couple of weeks and came back to get the rest of my stuff, including letters written to good friends when they were at Uni and my school exam certificates...she had binned the lot. I was furious.

My dad did the same thing with my things too! It is the only time I ever fell out with him badly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    My mum completely redecorated it as a spare room, my younger sister wanted it because it was bigger than hers. Now it's my niece's & nephews room for when they stay over and one day it'll be my kids sleep over room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Mine was pretty much as I left it. I left the furniture as I moved into a furnished flat and my mum just put her computer in there.
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum was notorious for chucking everything out. If there was an opposite of "hoarder", it was she. I had only gone about a couple of weeks and came back to get the rest of my stuff, including letters written to good friends when they were at Uni and my school exam certificates...she had binned the lot. I was furious.

My mum was always on at me to throw stuff out, and i know a mum who's the same with her kids, if they don't throw stuff out then when they're out or at school she'll go round and bin it all - and the kids often don't even realise until a lot later.

I think my mum was glad of the opportunity to get rid of a lot of my old stuff when I moved out. When my parents moved a few months later, my mum did say if there was anything I still wanted to come over, otherwise I guess it all went in the skip.

i can't say anything about my old room now as our old house is no more, it was bulldozed along with others a few years ago to make way for a new road scheme - I used to drive past quite often and it was quite strange to drive past one day to see just a big pile of rubble where our house had been pulled down. Now there is a road there.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I moved out when I was 18 and it was turned into a play room for my sisters kids. When they were too old for that it was tuned into a spare room/gym.