Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Another corker on right now. It was superb at this point. Took a few years to find it's feet, but we're now at the point where every episode had at least four laugh out loud lines.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spm2013 wrote: »
    Shelley Long was iconic on this show, she should never have left. Got to be the biggest mistake ever made by a star of a television show.

Her character got old, and very old by S5. It's at a point on this run where the episode really slows down when she has a major scene.

Kirstie Alley was much better.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Her character got old, and very old by S5. It's at a point on this run where the episode really slows down when she has a major scene.

Preferred Kirstie Alley also-she appears Season 6. Nearly there!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looking forward to Kirstie Alley. Heard good things about her character.

It's not on next week though.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member

Yeah I agree. The Sam/Diane thing had gotten almost as annoying as Ross/Rachel at this point. If Shelley Long hadn't quit, I can't help wondering if the writers would have eventually decided enough was enough. Yes their relationship was supposed to be annoying, but it was beginning to become a chore. 'Ah Sam's got a date. Bet that's to make Diane jealous.' 'Wow Dianes met someone. Bet she's going to infantilise herself in front of Sam again.' etc, etc.
  • spm2013spm2013 Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure where else they could have gone with Sam and Diane, apart from marriage and children (with the same fighting, breaking up, getting back together). As much as I loved the relationship, it had run its course and it's better that one of them left and the show was able to focus more on the ensemble. I have to say though, I liked Sam a LOT less after Diane departed. He became far too much of a cliched skirt-chaser and there was really no one to bring him down a few pegs. So I guess I prefer the Sam and Diane of the early years and everyone except Sam in the post-Diane years.

I think its easy to say that in hindsight but clearly they could have done many things with Sam & Diane over the entire 11 season run.

It never did Ross & Rachel any harm in Friends.
  • spm2013spm2013 Posts: 215
    Forum Member

Kirstie was good but Rebecca wasn't half the character Diane was. She was just your typical likeable loser. Diane had depth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working my way through the complete Cheers box set. Currently on season 3, a few episodes after Frasier was introduced.

I've seen every single episode of seasons 1-6 and most of 7, but hardly any after that apart from Woody's wedding and the finale. Really looking forward to seeing some "new" episodes.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kirstie was good but Rebecca wasn't half the character Diane was. She was just your typical likeable loser. Diane had depth.

Rebecca was much more than that.

And Diane's character really wasn''t that deep - it became increasingly preposterous and needed forced storylines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wanted to add, watched the snipe hunt episode. I think that's the episode where Frasier became a great character. Beforehand he was simply Diane's lapdog but now he's starting to develop.

Also, it's very sad to watch at the moment. It's Coach's final episodes and you can actually see just how ill the actor was.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebecca was much more than that.

And Diane's character really wasn''t that deep - it became increasingly preposterous and needed forced storylines.

I loved the Diane of the first season. She was sensitive, witty, intelligent and charming. By the time she left she was deluded, shrewish, oblivious (and uncaring) to everyone, self-obsessed and pretentious rather than actually intelligent. It was a damn shame what the did to her character (although she was still a very funny character and Shelley gave it all she had).

Rebecca, I think started out badly (a one-dimensional, gold-digging ice queen) but she ended up a hilariously neurotic mess... which Kirstie Alley played to the hilt! I never cared for her brief 'relationship' with Sam, though. They worked best as friends, and I don't think they should ever have been anything more.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its easy to say that in hindsight but clearly they could have done many things with Sam & Diane over the entire 11 season run.

It never did Ross & Rachel any harm in Friends.

Perhaps they could have if they hadn't packed so many Sam and Diane scenarios into those first five seasons. Most shows would have stretched the 'will they or won't they' thing out over multiple seasons, gradually getting the fans to root for an eventual relationship over a long arc. Cheers got them together at the end of the first season. Thereafter we had a season of them as a couple, a season of them with other people, a season of them getting back together, a season of them engaged... I think I'd agree with you that the various 'Sam and Diane' scenarios could have lasted the entire run only if they had stretched each one out longer than they did (although that might have become tiresome). The only other thing to do would have them married a season, split up, get back together, contemplate divorce, perhaps have children... frankly, Diane's character had been degraded so much I'm glad Shelley left before any of this could happen.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really got into Cheers first time around until near the end of Shelly Long's stint so all these episodes are new to me.
    I did get into Cheers, but most of the episodes I had seen was after Kirstie Alley was there, so - like you - these are new to me and as enjoyable.
    Loved watching the Cheers episode yesterday where Frasier nearly gets married to Candi (played by Jennifer Tilly). 15 years later, Frasier (in "Frasier") would again date a character played by Jennifer - a different character but quite similar, can't remember the character's name.
    Yeah I notice that one too, it was probably done on purpose in Fraiser as I believe she appeared towards the end of the final series.
    I think this week sees the departure of Diane from the series.

I was glad on first showing as I thought the character had got rather boring - the better episodes were ones where she had a lesser role.

Watching it now my view on that remains unchanged.
    If Shelley Long hadn't quit, I can't help wondering if the writers would have eventually decided enough was enough. Yes their relationship was supposed to be annoying, but it was beginning to become a chore. 'Ah Sam's got a date. Bet that's to make Diane jealous.' 'Wow Dianes met someone. Bet she's going to infantilise herself in front of Sam again.' etc, etc.
    Fully agree with you both. It's bored me for some time now as you can more or less predict what's going to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I love my football I'm cursing that a tournament as meant I'm missing out on my Cheers fix this week. Although I'm not missing those poxy wooden alcohol adverts that sponsor ITV4 shows lately.
  • SonickSonick Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    What happen to it on ITV2? They are showing You've Been Framed :(
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not on next week though.
    Didn't catch that first time I read it! Bloody football!
    Sonick wrote: »
    What happen to it on ITV2? They are showing You've Been Framed :(
    It's usually on ITV4, but they're showing the African Football League for the week it seems.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,573
    Forum Member
    Shame Cheers isn't on this week, but I guess it was also gonna be hard to schedule with ACN on too.

Re: Diane - count me as a big fan, I was gutted when she left. That may have been to do with me being 11 at the time though :). The episode where Sam imagines them growing old together was really sweet.

I didn't warm to Rebecca for ages, as I never liked the faint idea of her and Sam getting together. Thankfully the writers addressed that fairly quickly and decided against making her Diane Mk II.

Very tempted to buy boxset from Amazon, only £45 or so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    Didn't catch that first time I read it! Bloody football!

I am missing my Cheers fix already. :cry:
  • Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am missing my Cheers fix already. :cry:

Me to. Been watching some NORMism's on You Tube.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could I politely ask if people hide the spoilers they post on this thread please as the other thread on this forum has them? I loved seeing Diane throw the Thanksgiving dessert in Vera's face as she walked in the room before the camera panned to her. I know we'll never actually see what she looked like which is quite amusing. I was half expecting a larger woman though!

I'm really missing my fix of 'Cheers' and it's driving me insane! Frasier help!!
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never watched it first time around but enjoying it now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could I politely ask if people hide the spoilers they post on this thread please as the other thread on this forum has them? I loved seeing Diane throw the Thanksgiving dessert in Vera's face as she walked in the room before the camera panned to her. I know we'll never actually see what she looked like which is quite amusing. I was half expecting a larger woman though!

I'm really missing my fix of 'Cheers' and it's driving me insane! Frasier help!!

That episode was great. The food fight was so well done. Did you see Norman laughing his head off when Cliff threw the food at Frazier? (to start the fight off properly) I think that was the actor struggling to keep a straight face as all the others looked stern. :D

Hurry up football ... be over. :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just hit season 6 on my DVD boxset and I've already decided that the show is better without Diane.

Before, the show was all about Sam and Diane with supporting characters. Now it has become an ensemble with characters getting an equal amount of screen time. Also loving the development of the Frasier/Lilith relationship.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too hear that the show became much more of an ensemble piece when Diane left and Rebecca was actually on the show a year longer than Diane, must say though, as much as I like Cliff, the way he calls Norm- 'Narmie' is quite annoying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really missed 'Cheers' last week when it as off-air replaced temporarily for the week by football. I'm glad we're getting at last one episode per evening now until the tournament ends. Luckily I'm also working my way through the 'Seinfeld' boxset for the first time also at the moment so I didn't suffer too badly from my withdrawal symptoms.

Thus far I've brought seasons 1-4 of Seinfeld and am very much looking forward to purchasing the Fraiser boxset next and giving that a try.