Options

best album 2013

ch958ch958 Posts: 188
Forum Member
anyone recommend anything - i recently got into tame impala and melodys echo chamber - anything else this good?

no boy bands, rappers, chart crap - sorry its not for me

Comments

• Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erh Daughter- If You Leave and Dido's new album are the only 2013 albums I have brought. They are both great, although they may have charted a little too high for your liking...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Pearl Mystic' by Hookworms is a good psych-rock album that's probably the closest thing to Tame Impala I've heard so far this year. 'New Moon' by The Men is another rock album you may like. Two of my favourites so far are the albums by Phosphorescent and John Grant. It's been a bit quiet in terms of quality albums imo but there's a ton of promising releases in the next few months.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Depending on what you like:

The Penelopes, Imagine Dragons, Peace.

No albums yet but coming soon - Chvrches, The Good Natured, Charli XCX, AlunaGeorge.

Also Laura Marling, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and The Flaming Lips all usually worth a listen have new stuff coming.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like rock oriented stuff, I recommend Girl Talk by Kate Nash and Wolf's Law by the Joy Formidable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    'Pearl Mystic' by Hookworms is a good psych-rock album that's probably the closest thing to Tame Impala I've heard so far this year. 'New Moon' by The Men is another rock album you may like. Two of my favourites so far are the albums by Phosphorescent and John Grant. It's been a bit quiet in terms of quality albums imo but there's a ton of promising releases in the next few months.

thanks everyone - loved John Grants last album
    Hookworms i'd never heard of - will investigate
    Dido not my style tho
    LOVE Laura Marling
    this is great - just what i was looking for
    keep em coming
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    There haven't been a lot of new albums I've listened to/liked but I'd say the best one so far is:
    Macklemore - the Heist, I think it was released last year in America but I only listened to it this year so for me it's a 2013 album. It's incredible.

I also like Bridgit Mendler - Hello My Name Is...and Paramore's album.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be a bit too pop for your liking, but Tegan and Sara's new album Heartthrob is really good.

And you might like Goldenheart by Dawn Richard. I don't know how to describe it really, but it's sort of indie-R&B mixed with dance. It's received some amazing reviews.

Sky Ferreira and Solange's latest EPs are worth a listen too.
  • Options
    Say_My_NameSay_My_Name Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Foals latest is quite solid <3
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earth Rocker by Clutch, i keep pushing this one :D
  • Options
    TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another shout for the John Grant album.
    And if you're digging the Tame Impala, Melody's Echo Chamber albums, then try 'II' by Unknown Mortal Orchestra, its cut from a similar cloth.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a bit more mainstream but how about:

David Bowie & Depeche Mode's new albums.

If you also like anything similar to Bob Dylan check out Jake Bugg, though his album was out late last year.
  • Options
    TOSSerrTOSSerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Depeche Modes Delta Machine is a fine album. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i actually don't like the new Bowie album - heresy i know
    the new DMode sounds interesting
    thanks everyone really good feedback
  • Options
    MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    My favourite so far is Hurts - Exile. The only song I don't like is The Crow which I go straight past when listening to the CD in the car. Apart from that song I love the album.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Echo the comments about Jon Grant's new one. I am mightily impressed with the new Strokes album. I wasn't even going to bother with it after their last two but it's a massive return to form in my book.

Johnny Marr's album is pretty good,. A bit Oasisy but full of catchy tunes. 'We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace & Magic' by Foxygen is another that has caught my ear. It plays like a 60's compilation album. 'News From Nowhere' by Darkstar is good too. A little bit like Animal Collective
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Suede album Bloodsports is a recent favourite of mine. Bat for Lashes - The Haunted Man I can recommend as well.

Also somethign a bit different, even though it's been out a bit longer I think. Love this Giant.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/639p

some good albums mentioned here though, love the tame impala one too :)
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bastille Bad Blood so far for me
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,532
    Forum Member
    Foals // Holy Fire
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Based on the two you said you liked, I would say to check out Heaven by Popstrangers, it has the same kind of vibe to it.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    So far this year I'm liking -

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
    Daughter - If You Leave
    The Joy Formidable - Wolf's Law
    Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
    Keaton Henson - Birthdays
  • Options
    Forum Member
    once again thank you - some great suggestions
    this should be a regular thing
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I haven't bought any new albums this year yet but I'll be buying Little Boots - Nocturnes next month. I'll definitely listen to AlunaGeorge's and Charli XCX's albums.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 'new' purchased album this year is from Dido! And it's great, of course not as good as her earlier work.

I'm interested about buying the new release from Imagine Dragons and the not yet released from Gabrielle Aplin, Paramore & Avril Lavigne,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Yuna - Yuna. It's an amazing album, I think it was released last year, though, but it only gained momentum now. Yuna's a singer from Malaysia, her music is serene, stylish and soul-y. "Lullabies" is a masterpiece.

Bastille - Bad Blood. One of the best albums of this year so far.

Imagine Dragons - Night Visions. Another great album, melodic indie rock.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stooshe's album should be pretty good, if it's anything like their leaked album from last year.