Options

Have you ever been made a scapegoat in your job?

Comments

• Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, some have tried but I am a detail person and I can always provide proof that it wasn't me. It gets tiring though having to archive/keep a paper trail. I work with quite a few highly paid fools and they make the most basic mistakes which unfortunately have repercussions.
  • Options
    Mr Alex TMr Alex T Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I actually had 3 members on management try and force me to be friendly with another colleague I have decided not to have anything to do with personally due to her attitude. She is like a school girl but very manipulative!

Now I look the bad guy after she has been rude 4 times to me within weeks!
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    Every day lol

You soon learn to bat those off.
    ?
    My definition of being made a scapegoat is taking the blame for somebody else s fault, you shouldn't be laughing stuff like that off, bosses may be thinking you are liability.
    I have seen it coming a few times and gone straight over the persons head and give my side of the story.
    Have to admit i was lucky i had a few bosses who listened and had the sense to know what was going on.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I once worked in a petting zoo, and got the blame when a goat escaped.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Alex T wrote: »
    I actually had 3 members on management try and force me to be friendly with another colleague I have decided not to have anything to do with personally due to her attitude. She is like a school girl but very manipulative!

Now I look the bad guy after she has been rude 4 times to me within weeks!
    Why are you being forced to be friendly to her? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AnitaS wrote: »
    Why are you being forced to be friendly to her? :confused:

Because she won't give me space and then moans to the big wigs and my friends and isolates herself at lunchtime so that the staff feel bad for her then she cries.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learned early on that if you make a mistake at work, you hold your hands up and admit to it, then try to never make it again. Once your bosses realise you'll own up if it's you, then when you say it wasn't they'll believe you. It worked for me, anyway - I could always prevent a scapegoating by saying to the boss "You know full well I'd admit it if it was me".

Having said that, in the earlier part of my working life, I was scapegoated quite often, but after falling for it twice (a manager who blamed me for something his favourite worker had done) I started standing up for myself.

One day that boss popped round to our house for something (I think to collect some work - can't remember) and it just so happened we had a cat with digestion problems. The cat jumped straight onto my boss' lap and farted. Me and my husband were acting all innocent, saying "Well, it wasn't either of us, so I haven't a clue where the smell's coming from". The boss didn't know where to put himself. I've never been so happy to have a cat with the farts. :)
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    TRIPS wrote: »
    ?
    My definition of being made a scapegoat is taking the blame for somebody else s fault, you shouldn't be laughing stuff like that off, bosses may be thinking you are liability.
    I have seen it coming a few times and gone straight over the persons head and give my side of the story.
    Have to admit i was lucky i had a few bosses who listened and had the sense to know what was going on.

Despite being a company with a "No blame" policy, The Blame Game soon swings into action when there's a cock up. The software guys blame the electrical guys, the electrical guys blame the mechanical guys, the mechanical guys blame the civils guys, the civils guys blame the process guys, they blame the designers, the designers blame the client and the client blames all of us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despite being a company with a "No blame" policy, The Blame Game soon swings into action when there's a cock up. The software guys blame the electrical guys, the electrical guys blame the mechanical guys, the mechanical guys blame the civils guys, the civils guys blame the process guys, they blame the designers, the designers blame the client and the client blames all of us.

You put you're left foot in, you're left foot out... in, out, in out you cocked up all around...
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's who your boss blames that matters though.
  • Options
    ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    I learned early on that if you make a mistake at work, you hold your hands up and admit to it, then try to never make it again. Once your bosses realise you'll own up if it's you, then when you say it wasn't they'll believe you. It worked for me, anyway - I could always prevent a scapegoating by saying to the boss "You know full well I'd admit it if it was me".

Having said that, in the earlier part of my working life, I was scapegoated quite often, but after falling for it twice (a manager who blamed me for something his favourite worker had done) I started standing up for myself.

One day that boss popped round to our house for something (I think to collect some work - can't remember) and it just so happened we had a cat with digestion problems. The cat jumped straight onto my boss' lap and farted. Me and my husband were acting all innocent, saying "Well, it wasn't either of us, so I haven't a clue where the smell's coming from". The boss didn't know where to put himself. I've never been so happy to have a cat with the farts. :)

Yep, I always put my hand up if I'm at fault. Usually works pretty well to defuse a potential issue. It has proved rather effective with my current client who operate an incredibly well developed blame culture. Their confused faces when some one actually say 'yeah, that was me, sorry' is a sight to behold. I'm now their go-to guy when they need to get a truthful assessment of how feasible a task is and how long it will really take because they fully expect their own developers to lie their arses off :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I think my ordeal I over for the time being!

Just to think I was on my own for Valentines while all the nasty folk had partners to shag and dine!
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I always put my hand up if I'm at fault. Usually works pretty well to defuse a potential issue. It has proved rather effective with my current client who operate an incredibly well developed blame culture. Their confused faces when some one actually say 'yeah, that was me, sorry' is a sight to behold. I'm now their go-to guy when they need to get a truthful assessment of how feasible a task is and how long it will really take because they fully expect their own developers to lie their arses off :D

That's brilliant - and yes, it's extremely funny to watch. :D

Also, isn't it a good feeling to know other work-related people (especially clients) come to you because of your integrity?

(I'm not trying to sound all holier-than-thou to anyone else if they don't practice this, so I'm sorry if it comes across that way. I can't think of any other way to express it, really.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TRIPS wrote: »
    It's who your boss blames that matters though.

I always blame my boss to his boss. He hates it, but I'm always right! :D
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An ex boss stole money and when it all came out he blamed me. His wife backed him. Luckily the other staff involved didn't believe him at all. With hindsight I wish now that the Police had been involved but for some reason they weren't. I walked out soon after, leaving them in the shit. They had a holiday booked and no-one to cover after I walked out. It gave me great satisfaction to know their holiday had been ruined.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I always blame my boss to his boss. He hates it, but I'm always right! :D

My manager acted like I could never see my boss and then would run upstairs knowing I couldn't escape to see her to get her own way. Thank god I don't have to see her as much! I remember when she was furious I had gone to see my boss about extra hours that she said I had to do.

Then she claimed she could remember the 3 hours I did for 5 days a week for s month and didn't get paid for it!
    Uffa wrote: »
    An ex boss stole money and when it all came out he blamed me. His wife backed him. Luckily the other staff involved didn't believe him at all. With hindsight I wish now that the Police had been involved but for some reason they weren't. I walked out soon after, leaving them in the shit. They had a holiday booked and no-one to cover after I walked out. It gave me great satisfaction to know their holiday had been ruined.

Why didn't you sue or call the police for slander?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My manager acted like I could never see my boss and then would run upstairs knowing I couldn't escape to see her to get her own way. Thank god I don't have to see her as much! I remember when she was furious I had gone to see my boss about extra hours that she said I had to do.

A slightly odd setup - I can't imagine any work situation where you would be in any way barred from speaking to your N+1 manager. When you manage managers, one of the roles is to resolve any issues between them and their team in the interests of the company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    A slightly odd setup - I can't imagine any work situation where you would be in any way barred from speaking to your N+1 manager. When you manage managers, one of the roles is to resolve any issues between them and their team in the interests of the company.

Exactly the manager always had to know if we went to the boss and she never encouraged us to, she was in charge and that is that, she has been there for donkeys years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then she claimed she could remember the 3 hours I did for 5 days a week for s month and didn't get paid for it!

Why didn't you sue or call the police for slander?

I know. :( I guess at the time I was just so shocked and horrified that I just wanted it all to go away. Knowing the other Staff believed me helped tremendously. If it happened today I would call the Police straight off, no doubts at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know. :( I guess at the time I was just so shocked and horrified that I just wanted it all to go away. Knowing the other Staff believed me helped tremendously. If it happened today I would call the Police straight off, no doubts at all.

Sorry to hear that hindsight is an amazing thing so isn't it!

How are your job prospects now?
  • Options
    carlos_jacksoncarlos_jackson Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    The problem we have is the culture of social climbing, success and promotion is more a matter of being part of an in-crowd and being able to connect socially with those who make decisions. Sadly, hard work has very little to do with success in most companies. Management is turning into a corrupt profession, too many are full of lies and duplicity, i've worked for very few good ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that hindsight is an amazing thing so isn't it!

How are your job prospects now?

I love my new job, all my friends at work and the added bonus I know they all trust me 100%. That is worth all the money in the world to me. :) Thanks. :)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was once and was sacked as well. I was part of a team working on a project that had to be delivered by a certain date and it just wasn't going to happen, mainly due to the team leader being useless and also a close friend of the manager.

Heads had to roll and mine was one of two that was chosen. The bizarre thing was, on the day it happened i was helping someone out in another part of the office and the manager walked by and said "Jason, have you got a minute?" and walked off to his office.

I turned to the person I was working with and said, with all seriousness, "You know something - i'm about to get sacked". There was no rhyme or reason for saying that at the time - I'd had no indication about my job or anything like that - it was just a weird premonition.

Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. And what made it even weirder was that when he was doing the deed, the manager was visibly upset all along to the point where I thought he'd cry!

Walked back to the office and said, rather loudly, "I've just been sacked!". Loads of people stopped working and looked at me and couldn't believe it.

The girl who'd also been sacked walked back in about 10 minutes afterwards and also said she'd been sacked, but nobody paid any attention as they were all still standing around me .. i felt a bit guilty :)
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seven years ago I joined an architecture practice after leaving a job I had been in for 10 years. I was interviewed by three directors in separate interviews to win the job, but the two other directors who had never seen me started to cause trouble for me. It was a constant battle to defend myself until one of the directors gave me a false deadline for some work, so I would finish it a week too late, then he hid the calls from the client chasing the late work until it became a major issue.
    No one believed me of course, why would they? He was a founder member of the practice. I had to leave.

It's been a long time now, but I can play a really long game. Like, really long.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love my new job, all my friends at work and the added bonus I know they all trust me 100%. That is worth all the money in the world to me. :) Thanks. :)

Thanks you have spurred me on for my happy ending!
    Supratad wrote: »
    Seven years ago I joined an architecture practice after leaving a job I had been in for 10 years. I was interviewed by three directors in separate interviews to win the job, but the two other directors who had never seen me started to cause trouble for me. It was a constant battle to defend myself until one of the directors gave me a false deadline for some work, so I would finish it a week too late, then he hid the calls from the client chasing the late work until it became a major issue.
    No one believed me of course, why would they? He was a founder member of the practice. I had to leave.

It's been a long time now, but I can play a really long game. Like, really long.

Really!?
    I was once and was sacked as well. I was part of a team working on a project that had to be delivered by a certain date and it just wasn't going to happen, mainly due to the team leader being useless and also a close friend of the manager.

Heads had to roll and mine was one of two that was chosen. The bizarre thing was, on the day it happened i was helping someone out in another part of the office and the manager walked by and said "Jason, have you got a minute?" and walked off to his office.

I turned to the person I was working with and said, with all seriousness, "You know something - i'm about to get sacked". There was no rhyme or reason for saying that at the time - I'd had no indication about my job or anything like that - it was just a weird premonition.

Lo and behold, that's exactly what happened. And what made it even weirder was that when he was doing the deed, the manager was visibly upset all along to the point where I thought he'd cry!

Walked back to the office and said, rather loudly, "I've just been sacked!". Loads of people stopped working and looked at me and couldn't believe it.

The girl who'd also been sacked walked back in about 10 minutes afterwards and also said she'd been sacked, but nobody paid any attention as they were all still standing around me .. i felt a bit guilty :)

How did it feel to be sacked at the time, I would be devastated to know it was all ticking along without me!