Need a little help

Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bit of background, I have suffered from depression in the past, being hospitalized for it about 8 years ago, but haven't taken anti depressants for at least 7 years, and don't want to now as I don't feel that they do me any good.

I am currently feeling really really low, no energy to do anything and crying for no reason, though there has been no one reason why I would be feeling like this.

I work part time and think this has added to my stress/depression as even though the job is not very stressful, it is mind numbing and I have lost any enthusiasm for it, I am currently on holiday from there and go back this Thursday.

I have booked a GP appt also on Thursday as I want to get signed off for at least a week so I can at least try and get my head together, and see what my next steps are, as I know I won't be able to function at work, and being there will just make me feel worse, as even being at home I'm not feeling great, though have no oomph to go out.

My question is if the GP doesn't sign me off, can I self certificate, or is that just for when you have flu etc?

Thanks

Comments

• codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive never heard anyone self certify for depression.

Talk to your GP.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can self cert for 7 days I believe, after that you need a sick note. If the doctor doesn't sign you off, you can't self cert but you may be able to work with your HR department to engage occupational health, if you take it from a stress related angle. You could also arrange to take some annual leave allowance to maybe take a short holiday to rest and relax, for example.

With the symptoms you have given, I would be surprised if your GP didn't give you a note and I would concentrate on getting better than worrying about work. I hope you feel better soon, OP.
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can self cert for 7 days I believe, after that you need a sick note. If the doctor doesn't sign you off, you can't self cert but you may be able to work with your HR department to engage occupational health, if you take it from a stress related angle. You could also arrange to take some annual leave allowance to maybe take a short holiday to rest and relax, for example.

With the symptoms you have given, I would be surprised if your GP didn't give you a note and I would concentrate on getting better than worrying about work. I hope you feel better soon, OP.

Hi, I'm afraid that my HR dept is useless, even though I work for a massive company, all in store HR has been moved to one main office, and I don't feel both my line manager/store manager would be someone to listen to me and understand what I'm going through. I also have bowel problems which has caused me to have a few days off as well, so don't see them agreeing for me to have even more time off, as I have nearly got a warning because of my sickness.

I will try and not worry, but unfortunately that is one of my weaknesses.
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I'm afraid that my HR dept is useless, even though I work for a massive company, all in store HR has been moved to one main office, and I don't feel both my line manager/store manager would be someone to listen to me and understand what I'm going through. I also have bowel problems which has caused me to have a few days off as well, so don't see them agreeing for me to have even more time off, as I have nearly got a warning because of my sickness.

I will try and not worry, but unfortunately that is one of my weaknesses.

I've never known someone with a history of depression be turned down a sick note if their symptoms reappear. Hopefully you will get some time and some support outside of work, a referral to a counsellor maybe?
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can self-certify if your sickness is up to 7 days. After that you'll need a fit note.

From the Government website:

Taking sick leave

Employees only need a fit note from a doctor after 7 days off work sick. If they are ill just before or during their holiday, they can take it as sick leave instead.

Fit notes and proof of sickness

Employees must give their employer a doctor’s ‘fit note’ (previously called a ‘sick note’) if they’re off sick for more than 7 days in a row (including non-working days). Hospital doctors or GPs provide them. They can charge a fee if a fit note is asked for before the 7th day.

The fit note will say the employee is either ‘not fit for work’ or ‘may be fit for work’.

If it says the employee ‘may be fit for work’, employers should discuss any changes that might help the employee return to work (eg different hours or tasks). The employee must be treated as ‘not fit for work’ if there’s no agreement on these changes.

Employers can take a copy of the fit note, the employee should keep the original.

Self-certification

Employers can also ask employees to fill in a form when they return to work to confirm they’ve been off sick for up to 7 days. This is called ‘self-certification’. Employers usually provide their own version of this form.

https://www.gov.uk/taking-sick-leave
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Everyone goes through periods of really not wanting to go work. Everyone. Just go in, grit your teeth and get on with it.

If you really feel you need more of a break then take more holiday or unpaid leave if you really have to.

I have worked with people who are off sick all the time with any little thing and they are nightmare colleagues. What makes you so special that your workmates have to pick up all your sclack?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Everyone goes through periods of really not wanting to go work. Everyone. Just go in, grit your teeth and get on with it.

If you really feel you need more of a break then take more holiday or unpaid leave if you really have to.

I have worked with people who are off sick all the time with any little thing and they are nightmare colleagues. What makes you so special that your workmates have to pick up all your sclack?

Sadly it's attitudes like this which can mean someone doesn't seek the help they need or they lack the support in work they should be getting.

What makes you so special that you think you can judge and complain about other people's periods of sickness?

Sure, some people do take the p*** but not everyone does. Sometimes people are unwell and need to take time off - and some people need more time than others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh if only it was that easy, I guess you've never had depression, I'd rather work than have depression/feel fed up believe me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly it's attitudes like this which can mean someone doesn't seek the help they need or they lack the support in work they should be getting.

What makes you so special that you think you can judge and complain about other people's periods of sickness?

Sure, some people do take the p*** but not everyone does. Sometimes people are unwell and need to take time off - and some people need more time than others.

Thank you for being understanding
    Forum Member

I have no problem at all with genuinely sick people taking all the time off they need. However some peoples definition of sick seems to be very very broad and will use the slightest reason not to come in.

I obviously don't really know the extent of the OPs illness but excuses like " it is mind numbing and I have lost any enthusiasm for it," are not valid reasons for calling in sick. Everyone feels like that sometimes.

If you are really that ill then that you are unable to do your job properly, then quit your job, get signed off by the doctor on disability or whatever, and let someone else do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problem at all with genuinely sick people taking all the time off they need. However some peoples definition of sick seems to be very very broad and will use the slightest reason not to come in.

I obviously don't really know the extent of the OPs illness but excuses like " it is mind numbing and I have lost any enthusiasm for it," are not valid reasons for calling in sick. Everyone feels like that sometimes.

If you are really that ill then that you are unable to do your job properly, then quit your job, get signed off by the doctor on disability or whatever, and let someone else do it.

So if someone is unwell and needs say, 3 or more weeks off work, they should resign?

Also you seem to be contradicting yourself or, perhaps, accusing the OP of malingering.

"I have no problem at all with genuinely sick people taking all the time off they need."

"If you are really that ill then that you are unable to do your job properly, then quit your job, get signed off by the doctor on disability or whatever, and let someone else do it."

You're coming across as a bit self-centred and lacking in empathy and understanding. Perhaps you need to re-read this from the OP:

"I am currently feeling really really low, no energy to do anything and crying for no reason, though there has been no one reason why I would be feeling like this."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely agree

If we could all self certify for finding a job mind-numbing or losing enthusiasm then i doubt anything would ever get done.

These would go on the OPs HR record and be huge problems for them in the future.

If i were the OP, i would keep working and try my best to get a new job - its so much easier to find work when you are still employed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Absolutely agree

If we could all self certify for finding a job mind-numbing or losing enthusiasm then i doubt anything would ever get done.

These would go on the OPs HR record and be huge problems for them in the future.

If i were the OP, i would keep working and try my best to get a new job - its so much easier to find work when you are still employed.

I don't know where I said I am leaving my job, I have been there three years, so not just going to leave, and I know it's easier to find a job when you have one, thanks.
    Forum Member

Also you seem to be contradicting yourself or, perhaps, accusing the OP of malingering.

Let me clarify.

Someone getting sick and taking a few days/weeks/months off to recover and then going back to work as normal - fine.

Someone taking about 1 week off out of everyone month for years due to various reasons each time and expecting all collegues just to deal with it - not fine.

I have worked with someone like this by the way and it did cause great resentment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know where I said I am leaving my job, I have been there three years, so not just going to leave, and I know it's easier to find a job when you have one, thanks.

orly

Then i suggest you get on with having time off and self certifying, remember to put on the form that you find "mind numbing" jobs stressful and you have lost motivation for doing it.

When it comes to getting a new job in the future, and they ask regarding reasons of any absence in previous employment the last two years, make sure you tell them the above.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    orly

Then i suggest you get on with having time off and self certifying, remember to put on the form that you find "mind numbing" jobs stressful and you have lost motivation for doing it.

When it comes to getting a new job in the future, and they ask regarding reasons of any absence in previous employment the last two years, make sure you tell them the above.

What has the OP said to deserve this bit of intolerance?

Perhaps you need to read the first post again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has the OP said to deserve this bit of intolerance?.

When they replied insolently to my advice to stick in the job and try and find something else which they would find more rewarding.

My response was only to suggest doing what they stated in the op.
  • MrsCloumboMrsCloumbo Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your doctor will sign you off for as long as you like, as long as your true, try not to worry.
    My heart goes out to you.
    I had a meltdown 3yrs ago and was prescribed anti depressants which I did not take.
    Eventually I left, resigned from, a well paid professional position...' very foolish.
    Wish I'd had a GP who allowed me to talk and didnt just want me out the door asap with a prescription.
    Things have a way of working themselves out. You WILL be fine.
    Be kind to yourself and allow yourself time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they replied insolently to my advice to stick in the job and try and find something else which they would find more rewarding.

My response was only to suggest doing what they stated in the op.

They replied insolently!!

Have to laugh at this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have to laugh at this.

Try to avoid the ****ing idiots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Have to laugh at this.

Well it is there for all to see.

Back on topic, it is a shame that the OP doesnt like their job and it is affecting their health.

It was days ago that they posted:

"My proudest moment was getting 0% in my mystery shop last year, my punishment was to go to another store and pretend to be a mystery shopper myself so I could see how that stores staff customer service was, the ironic thing was their staff were awful, I must have been having a very bad day when the mystery shopper came, now we don't have mystery shoppers, just some stupid feedback slips. "

Again, my advice would be to change jobs.

No job is worth making yourself ill over.
    Forum Member
    The OP has also previous mentioned struggling with her degree (not bothering with coursework or attending classes) because she was "stressed" and "didn't want to do anything".

If you are still doing the degree then maybe that as well as working part time is just too much for you? Sounds like you have trouble coping with life in general so you should pick one major thing at a time to concentrate on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are all struggling, and platitudes abound...
    I struggled bad while getting my degree and dined on 'whats worth having is worth the struggle, nothing good comes easy' etc etc
    End result is .. we are all struggling. Nothing changes really, except maybe you have an education.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The OP has also previous mentioned struggling with her degree (not bothering with coursework or attending classes) because she was "stressed" and "didn't want to do anything".

If you are still doing the degree then maybe that as well as working part time is just too much for you? Sounds like you have trouble coping with life in general so you should pick one major thing at a time to concentrate on...[/QUOTE

Unfortunately I Also had to work while at university ... something to do with eating .. get real please. Spoilt bitches come to mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your GP signs you off, it will start 7 days into your period of sick leave, and you will self-certifcate the first 7 days.

Have you seen the thread on Mindfulness?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1958692

There is good evidence to show that Mindfulness can reduce the risk of relapse and further episodes of depression.