How often do you suffer power cuts at home?

Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
Forum Member

I seem to suffer at least one every year or two in the past decade or so. Before that the power was reliable for years.

Comments

• Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love a power cut. A few hours, not days at a time of course. We have them probably once a year. I like having to use candles and enjoying life without electricity. Takes us back to being a bit more animalistic than we've been accustomed, in a weird way.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once or twice a month. Whole island went off last month for most of the night. Was lovely sitting by candle light.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rarely, can't remember when we had the last one.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the genny log, the last one was Jan 17th 2013, If memory serves a tree was blown into the local substation.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had one a few days ago and another near Christmas. A couple of years ago we were having them every day or so until they came out in the middle of the night to finally fix the substation.

We've had so many that we've only got a few candles left.
  • The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairly frequently because we are at the end of the grid apparently. Not exactly sure what that means or why it should be so though.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    Rarely, can't remember when we had the last one.

Same here. Must have been quite a while back.
  • 123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    One a year on average I would say.

Although for all I know they could happen every weekday for up to 8 hours and I wouldn't be none the wiser.

They usually occur when the local Scrap men start stealing stuff from our local substation.
    Although its been the Big Green BT Boxes they have been stealing lately.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never had a power cut in the 20 years I have been living in my current abode. The lights did flicker once or twice when we had those storms a few months back, but they never actually went out.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I honestly can't remember. It must be more than 5 years at least. I remember them when I was younger because our cooker clock used to reset to zero.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Power cuts are rare around here.

They do happen occasionally, but when you live in a town of 250k people, power cuts get fixed pretty quickly.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I seem to suffer at least one every year or two in the past decade or so. Before that the power was reliable for years.

Not had one here for at least 7 years, I'd say.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost never. I think there's the occasional glitch because once or twice over the last several years I've found that my cooker clock is flashing but I can't remember the last time (if there ever was one) when I was without power when I needed it.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frequently - probably one or two a month. Also if the electricity goes off, we can often not expect it back until the following morning.

Many years ago it rarely used to go off. My father, who was a fitter at the electricity board is of the opinion that many years ago, each line was walked by a gang a couple of times each year who would clear any potential problems such as overhanging branches. These days, the lines are not inspected, and they simply respond to problems as they arise, hence more power outages.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We should never suffer powercuts. Energy supplers receive enough money too keep us on 24/7.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only when I confuse the cupboard under the stairs for the downstairs toilet after binge and curry
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,460
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    We should never suffer powercuts. Energy supplers receive enough money too keep us on 24/7.

Unfortunately they can't do anything about idiots in JCB's digging through the power cables :D

When we were having the old cinema next door to work converted the idiot builders went through the same power cable THREE times in the same week :o
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Probably once a year on average but even they're normally really lame momentary power cuts.
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one a few months back which was probably the first one in about three or four years.

About ten years ago they used to be more common. But I'm only talking two or three times a year.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once in eleven years (as far as I can recall, maybe twice, either way it's still pretty good going.)
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once or twice a year. We used to get them all the time though, they had to dig the road up to sort it out.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Fairly frequently because we are at the end of the grid apparently. Not exactly sure what that means or why it should be so though.

Means that your house is further down the line from your substation and/or power plant. The more cable is involved and ther more houses between you and the generator, the likelihood of an electrical fault increases.
  • Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unrealistic. You simply cannot make overhead power lines weather proof and the cost of burying them underground across the country would be astronomical and even if you did they still wouldn't be 100% lightning proof as many soil types actually conduct electricity.
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

If technology can go wrong, it will, no matter how many precautions are taken to the contrary
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of days ago the whole block went.

I thought it was just the block, but a few over the city went at the same time apparantly, quite odd.

Otherwise, not often, except on a personal level as my oven shorts the flat on a regular basis.