Options

eBay Customers Urged To Change Passwords

2»

Comments

• Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    It's all over the media, yet there is no mention of having to change passwords on the eBay site nor have they sent out an email notification either. Shocking way to go about business for a company of this size.

They are sending messages to account holders. But I agree Ebay do behave in a shockingly bad way. I'm no longer surprised by how they are though.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just changed it a few weeks ago after hearing about the Heartbleed bug. If it was hacked before April then my current password wouldn't be the password they'd have found, so its a bit of a nuisance if im forced to change it again. I've only just changed my passwords to numerous other sites recently. How we're supposed to keep track of them all, is anyones guess.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give them time, they've only just announced they were hacked 2/3 months ago, so at least give them till August/September, to get notifications sent out to change your passwords, and to get some info up on their site about it :D
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I read in the story earlier that eBay have only just found this out themselves but they've traced the hack back to February/March.

Also a lot of people have their eBay and Paypal accounts connected so you can buy things from eBay and pay for them through Paypal without entering the password every time. So it does affect Paypal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just logged on to Ebay as I realised I have feedback to leave - it didn't prompt me to change my password or flag any security issues, for the record.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure I read in the story earlier that eBay have only just found this out themselves but they've traced the hack back to February/March.

Also a lot of people have their eBay and Paypal accounts connected so you can buy things from eBay and pay for them through Paypal without entering the password every time. So it does affect Paypal.

Regarding the first point, I imagine thats what happened. Regarding the second point, I think that the Ebay site doesn't specifically hold your PayPal password though, when you join up the accounts Ebay only links to PayPal details, its like a link to a bookmark thats held on PayPals server, not Ebays. I could be wrong but I don't think if Ebay details are hacked, it necessarily means your bank details and PayPal passwords are automatically passed on.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB I have my accounts connected in just that way.

I logged into eBay & changed my password then went to PayPal to do the same thing.

No matter how many times I entered my PayPal password it kept telling me it was incorrect...started to panic then realised that my PayPal password had automatically changed when I did my eBay one since they're linked.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Regarding the first point, I imagine thats what happened. Regarding the second point, I think that the Ebay site doesn't specifically hold your PayPal password though, when you join up the accounts Ebay only links to PayPal details, its like a link to a bookmark thats held on PayPals server, not Ebays. I could be wrong but I don't think if Ebay details are hacked, it necessarily means your bank details and PayPal passwords are automatically passed on.

The point I was making is that they wouldn't need your Paypal password or bank details. In cases where people have linked their eBay and Paypal accounts together to make it easier to pay for items you can click on "Pay Now" and it will then come up with the order details and under payment it'll say you need to log into Paypal. However you just need to click on that and it will sign in without the password because they are joined together. You then just confirm the payment method and address in the Paypal screen. If a credit/debit card or bank account is attached to the Paypal account then it can just be selected as the payment method and they'll be able to change to an alternative address.

They won't necessarily be able to take money out of any of your accounts but they will be able to purchase expensive eBay items and have them sent to a bogus address so they can profit in that way.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I've just seen this. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I've just changed mine. I'm quite tempted to delete my account though as I already had it compromised recently.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 54,990
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Will be closing both my ebay and paypal accounts.

But I notice it says it takes 2 weeks and up to 180 days which seems a long time compared to setting up an account.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I've just changed my password from 'password1' to 'password2' so I believe I'm ok.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, we do still have shops.

I meant his comment was pointless.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they just covering themselves? if you have a problem in futur, they can say "we told you to change your password"
  • Options
    Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ebay "urge" customers to change password two months later, bit bloody late, stupid ebay, rich greedy unscrupulous company but not brightest tools in the box
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I logged into eBay & changed my password then went to PayPal to do the same thing.

No matter how many times I entered my PayPal password it kept telling me it was incorrect...started to panic then realised that my PayPal password had automatically changed when I did my eBay one since they're linked.

That can't be right? My ebay and paypal passwords are different and seperate so how could changing ebay password affect the paypal password??
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I changed my password
    Had this sort of thing recently with AOL where they got your email and names, date of birth etc..think it's called spoofing?
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i changed it to "password2" yesterday. nobody will ever guess it.

i notice that if your paypal is linked, you don't even see the paypal screen anymore & payment goes straight through. I bought something about a month ago & you still went to the paypal screen. bought something today & it didn't.

It didn't change my paypal one.
  • Options
    Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I changed my paypal password which works fine.

I changed my ebay password 5 times today, but I still cannot get the new password recognised :o
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I'm right pissed off with eBay now.

I changed my password a few days ago, have purchased something using it since, and have just tried to log in to my account.

When I entered the new password, it took me to a page saying all passwords have to be changed, asked for my e-mail address and up came a 'we are sending you an e-mail' message.

I had no alternative but to change it yet again - too much messing about.

I read today that they are being fined over this chaos, serves them bloody well right, it ought to be doubled!