Britain's Whale Hunters: The Untold Story (BBC4 9pm Mon 9th June)

ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Absolutely superb documentary about the history of Britain's Whaling industry. Part 2 is on next week at the same time.

Adam Nicolson is a terrific presenter. The bits filmed in the ghost whaling factory town of Leith Harbour on South Georgia were wonderfully evocative.

Watch it here if you missed it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b046pb27/britains-whale-hunters-the-untold-story-1-the-rise

Comments

• StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Absolutely superb documentary about the history of Britain's Whaling industry. Part 2 is on next week at the same time.

Adam Nicolson is a terrific presenter. The bits filmed in the ghost whaling factory town of Leith Harbour on South Georgia were wonderfully evocative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b046pb27/britains-whale-hunters-the-untold-story-1-the-rise

Thanks for posting this I wouldn't have known about it otherwise, a very good programme on a subject I didn't know much about.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have avoided watching this purely because of the subject matter. Perhaps I have missed a good documentary, but it would take a lot to make me watch it.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that the buildings and site on South Georgia are being properly recorded as they are already suffering from the severe weather (and illegal Argentinian scrap dealers :) ). His PPE against the asbestos seemed a bit hit and miss, one moment mask worn then not though I think the wind and rain down will have removed any dust long ago. Surprised he did not have a safety hat in those buildings and some of the surfaces that he stood on did not look very safe but presumably they checked them first.
  • Gary HallidayGary Halliday Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I deliberately gave this a miss. Some years ago I sat through a 1954 British film called "Hell Below Zero". The scenes of whales being captured, hauled aboard the factory ship and slit open were absolutely repulsive. There is no way I would go anywhere near this subject matter again.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I gave this up when I saw the whale blowing blood high into the air from its blow-hole several times as the harpoon had obviously pierced its lungs. Too graphic!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I gave this up when I saw the whale blowing blood high into the air from its blow-hole several times as the harpoon had obviously pierced its lungs. Too graphic!

Yes, this is why I didn't watch it. Of course it is a terrific story about some remarkably tough men but I really don't fancy being reminded of the killing of those magnificent animals.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »

Damn!! Missed this after forgetting to set the timer!

Thanks for the link.
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I have avoided watching this purely because of the subject matter. Perhaps I have missed a good documentary, but it would take a lot to make me watch it.

Same here I'm afraid.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They mentioned the early whaling in British waters but don't think they mentioned any of the whaling stations. I know there was one in the Western Isles but sure there were others.

I remember reading a 19th Century newspaper account of a school of whales that ended up in the local loch. There was no thought of rescue, lots of people were out in their boats to catch as many as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    They mentioned the early whaling in British waters but don't think they mentioned any of the whaling stations. I know there was one in the Western Isles but sure there were others.
    I've seen that old Whaling Station on Harris......or the remnants of it as sadly there is very little left to even indicate it's history. But it's along one of most amazing roads i've ever driven...the B897 to Hushinish. The sea is crystal clear and stunningly beautiful.

These photos i took in the summer of 2007 when i toured the Outer Hebrides. Deserted beaches even in summer are not uncommon.....the water may look almost tropical in colour.....but it's freezing cold!!

Whaling Station.

Hushinish beach.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I've seen that old Whaling Station on Harris......or the remnants of it as sadly there is very little left to even indicate it's history. But it's along one of most amazing roads i've ever driven...the B897 to Hushinish. The sea is crystal clear and stunningly beautiful.

These photos i took in the summer of 2007 when i toured the Outer Hebrides. Deserted beaches even in summer are not uncommon.....the water may look almost tropical in colour.....but it's freezing cold!!

Whaling Station.

Hushinish beach.

Thanks for sharing those pics, stunning! Lucky you to have toured round the Outer Hebrides, I've wanted to go for ages, but never made it. I wouldn't mind the cold just to see the gorgeous scenery and wildlife, and I'd prefer it to be devoid of other people. :)

Although there were some very shocking and distressing scenes in the documentary last night, I made a point of watching it, as I really did not know about Britian's part in Whale Hunting. It was on an industrial scale in South Georgia - a name I'd only heard of since the Falkland's War. The figures were astronomical - the Humpback Whale population reduced by thousands in the space of a couple of years, and how on earth did they catch Blue Whales? :o Man's capacity to hunt anything is astounding. They decimated the South Atlantic seas and made 100 million pounds in the process.
    One of the saddest sights for me last night was the Elephant Seal Pup, whose terrified and confused eyes looked on as it's Mother was shot in the head and lay dead bleeding right next to it. :(

I will watch part 2 as these things need to be brought to light, so we stop other species, like the Right Whale, from becoming extinct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whaling Station.

Hushinish beach.

I took some on the West side of Harris some years ago, could easily have been the Mediterranean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing those pics, stunning! Lucky you to have toured round the Outer Hebrides, I've wanted to go for ages, but never made it. I wouldn't mind the cold just to see the gorgeous scenery and wildlife, and I'd prefer it to be devoid of other people. :)
    Oh all the beaches are empty! I parked up alongside one and strolled along the empty beach by myself....and this was June/July! I stayed there overnight so you can imagine the views i had.....all to myself too!

Islanders lead a very separate life to mainlanders....not just geographically speaking but the way of life. They are very religious people and you will find very few shops open on a Sunday....which suited me fine.

I spotted this unusual sign the likes of which you would never see anywhere else in the UK. Note the words on the bottom, "Please Respect The Sabbath". It was on a gate to a little park with a few childrens swings and a playground area. The gate was locked.

It was Sunday!

Can you imagine that on mainland UK? The sign would have been ripped off, trashed and kids would barge in with zero respect. Doesn't happen on the Hebrides.

And as you can see here they value their wildlife!

Also many of these lovely chaps who wander freely around.....often by the roadside or ambling across. They are very calm and relaxed but this 'family' had a young calf so i didn't go too close!
    I took some on the West side of Harris some years ago, could easily have been the Mediterranean.
    Yes the water is crystal clear and beautiful aquamarine with white sandy beaches. I did get as far as a 'foot paddle'......but that was enough for me! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not just Sundays, each church has 'Communion Days' for which all the council facilities are closed. I am sure there could sometimes be more than one in the same week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I'll try and watch this at some point for the human interest angle, even though I will not enjoy it. A bit like reading Moby Dick, a great book but incredibly upsetting if you are inclined to love such amazing creatures, and have to read about their head's being split open so they can get their precious spermacetti oil.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not just Sundays, each church has 'Communion Days' for which all the council facilities are closed. I am sure there could sometimes be more than one in the same week.
    Yes i found it quite interesting. When on Lewis i noticed most of the Churches are quite ordinary buildings. Nothing fancy or elaborate. I was amazed at the number of people who turned up. And then i thought, this is like a weekly 'social' for the locals where they all get to meet each other together.

It wasn't until i eventually made my way down to Barra that i found the religious faith changes from predominantly Protestant in the North (Lewis, Harris etc) to Roman Catholic in the south at Barra.

That 99% of the shops shut down on Sundays didn't bother me at all. In fact i was glad of it! It reminded me of how it used to be on the mainland before it all went to 7 day trading with the result that the roads now get clogged up with bored DIY/Supermarket day trippers with nothing better to do.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Guardian piece.
    I'm mystified why people get so emotional about whales been killed/butchered in particular vs other animals.

Watched the program didn't find it distressing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Guardian piece.
    I'm mystified why people get so emotional about whales been killed/butchered in particular vs other animals.

Like in the Complainers thread Prince, you either get it you don't. You either feel empathy for a graceful and intelligent animal being senselessly slaughtered in its natural environment or you don't.

I was deeply upset seeing a Mahogany tree cut down in "I bought a rainforest" the other week. You just see wood though.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's why peoples views on such issues are polarised...some people see a beautiful creature being pursued, hunted, outnumbered and slashed to bits. Others simply see a commodity reared for its meat and by products like cattle. Im glad Im in the former camp as I cant really understand anyone not finding such scenes awful to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh all the beaches are empty! I parked up alongside one and strolled along the empty beach by myself....and this was June/July! I stayed there overnight so you can imagine the views i had.....all to myself too!

Islanders lead a very separate life to mainlanders....not just geographically speaking but the way of life. They are very religious people and you will find very few shops open on a Sunday....which suited me fine.

I spotted this unusual sign the likes of which you would never see anywhere else in the UK. Note the words on the bottom, "Please Respect The Sabbath". It was on a gate to a little park with a few childrens swings and a playground area. The gate was locked.

It was Sunday!

Can you imagine that on mainland UK? The sign would have been ripped off, trashed and kids would barge in with zero respect. Doesn't happen on the Hebrides.

And as you can see here they value their wildlife!

Also many of these lovely chaps who wander freely around.....often by the roadside or ambling across. They are very calm and relaxed but this 'family' had a young calf so i didn't go too close!

Yes the water is crystal clear and beautiful aquamarine with white sandy beaches. I did get as far as a 'foot paddle'......but that was enough for me! :o

I absolutely love your photos! :) Thanks so much for sharing, and the info and stories about the Outer Hebrides. It does seem like modern life and commercial ways haven't touched this part of the world, and all the better for it. Do you think you'll ever make it up to St Kilda?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guardian piece.

Thanks for that link. I'm glad to see a photo of a Fur Seal back on South Georgia, as they'd all been killed decades earlier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    I absolutely love your photos! :) Thanks so much for sharing, and the info and stories about the Outer Hebrides. It does seem like modern life and commercial ways haven't touched this part of the world, and all the better for it. Do you think you'll ever make it up to St Kilda?
    BIB is a real 'issue' for me actually!

When on Harris i spoke with a chap who did boat trips out to St Kilda. It's not cheap but thought to myself 'i might not get another chance'. He took my mobile number and said he'd let me know as trips are entirely subject to weather conditions which are very changeable.

Unfortunately the only day i could go, the weather was too bad and he'd had to cancel all bookings so i never got to see the place.

This is the guy i contacted (i see the cost is now £190..:o..7 years ago it was £140! :o).

http://www.kildacruises.co.uk/

Here is more about this fascinating place;

http://www.kilda.org.uk/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can now do it as a day trip though not sure I would fancy it!
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Guardian piece.

For me, it is the senseless of it. I'm fine with killing cows for meat; there are plenty of them and most of the animal is used. Killing whales for something as mundane as oil seems crazy; you don't unravel the Bayeux Tapestry to get a ball of twine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can now do it as a day trip though not sure I would fancy it!
    The £190 is just a day trip!

However it's a 2hr 45min journey.