Options

Quick (& possibly stupid) question about phone upgrade!

AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi everyone,

My phone contract (Orange) comes to an end next month, so today I went into to see what the procedure was and upgraded my phone and contract. I was told that my current sim card would turn off or something, at which point I put my new sim card into my new phone and bob's my metaphorical uncle; the problem is I can't remember when they said my current sim card would stop. Just wondering if anyone could enlighten me!

Thanks, I know it's stupid. Definitely should have paid more attention, bit of new-phone excitement... :o

Comments

• Options
    smitj017smitj017 Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The time to put the new sim card in, will be when the old one stops working i guess?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone knew when that would be! Sometime soon, after my next bill, some other random time completely!

It's my first contract changeover, so it's all a bit new.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sems a bit dodgy to me.

Normally it is just an upgrade so you just put the old sim in the new phone.
    If you are happy with the deal just get a free PAC code for your old deal and swap on the day after.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Huh...

I was told at Carphone W that because I was upgrading from my ancient Samsung (which still thinks texting is an innovative invention, bless it) to a Blackberry that I needed a new sim card as my new phone has interwebs and 3G and such. I was also told that my number would stay the same, but I've just opened the simcard packet and (obviously, duh) it's not.

Kinda confused now. Think I'll give 'em a ring in the morning :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Sems a bit dodgy to me.

Normally it is just an upgrade so you just put the old sim in the new phone.
    If you are happy with the deal just get a free PAC code for your old deal and swap on the day after.

I've always had a new SIM card when upgrading with Orange and the old one has gone off within 24 hours.

HTH
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aesa wrote: »
    ...Huh...

I was told at Carphone W that because I was upgrading from my ancient Samsung (which still thinks texting is an innovative invention, bless it) to a Blackberry that I needed a new sim card as my new phone has interwebs and 3G and such. I was also told that my number would stay the same, but I've just opened the simcard packet and (obviously, duh) it's not.

Kinda confused now. Think I'll give 'em a ring in the morning :confused:

It's normal to have a new SIM and the packaging will probably indicate a different number, but it will all change over to your old no within 24 hours or so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_dink wrote: »
    It's normal to have a new SIM and the packaging will probably indicate a different number, but it will all change over to your old no within 24 hours or so.

Ahh, okay, thanks! Will there be a message or something that comes up on my old phone/sim saying that this has happened, could you tell me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aesa wrote: »
    Ahh, okay, thanks! Will there be a message or something that comes up on my old phone/sim saying that this has happened, could you tell me?

Last time I upgraded (June) within about 8 hours of taking the new phone home from the Orange shop, my old SIM came up as something like 'unregistered SIM' and stopped getting signal.

I upgraded from an Orange shop though so may take longer to go through if you bought from Carphone Warehouse?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr_dink wrote: »
    Last time I upgraded (June) within about 8 hours of taking the new phone home from the Orange shop, my old SIM came up as something like 'unregistered SIM' and stopped getting signal.

I upgraded from an Orange shop though so may take longer to go through if you bought from Carphone Warehouse?

Ah, okay, thanks. I'll give it a day or two then if nothing's happened I'll give 'em a quick ring to double check.

Thanks for your help :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Youd be as well doing it just now, I put it off and off and off then suddenly half the features in my phone stopped working

There should be some kind of instructions with the new sim card, stick it in the phone follow the instructions and itll update and start working in a few hours.

I just stuck my old sim card in my old phone while I waited.
  • Options
    PaparazzoPaparazzo Posts: 6,155
    Forum Member
    Not really on the subject, but my upgrade date is today, so if I order today will my new phone be sent ASAP (after xmas now, i presume) or after the contract ends?