The Dealership - ch4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just watched the first episode of this programme on channel 4 about a second hand car dealership in Essex. I had sort of expected it to be like BBC's The Call Centre with more focus on the personalities than the business, but I was pleasantly suprised.

The focus was completely on how the salesment tried to secure sales and the struggle one had to meet his monthly target.

It was also interesting to see how people went in with totally unrealistic expectations of the price they'll get for part exchange.

I'm not sure it needed the over-the-top cockney geezer commentary though, but it didn't cause me a problem.

All in all, I thought it was quite a good programme, although my wife thought it was quite expoitative of the work experience schoolboy who, she claimed, was made to look silly (although I'm not quite so sure he did).

Comments

• mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not the most popular show on DS then.

It's interesting to see the tricks of dodgy salesmen. Though I find the number of people on the show who completely lack any sort of elocution skills really bizarre.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to a dealership (thankfully) but I've enjoyed tonight's episode.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The blondes hot as hell, id give her the car for nowt! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this for a car?
  • tom_domutoatom_domutoa Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    The crooked stuff is not on display. For eg: What do you do for a living. Whatever your occupation his uncle is also doing it. Instant rapport...if his uncle works near me he wont rip me will he...you bet he will.

Another example. Let me go in and ask the boss. There is no boss. He is the boss. he decides if he wants to reduce the price. Its all a game.
  • speigelspeigel Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Devon people dont want nice cars" what a dumb blonde.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    not the most popular show on DS then.

It's interesting to see the tricks of dodgy salesmen. Though I find the number of people on the show who completely lack any sort of elocution skills really bizarre.

Be a lot more popular than 'Saddos'' sorry I mean 'Shoplife' on BBC Three, at least this has a air of being interesting whereas 'Slapperlife' is utterly pathetic in every extreme, full of the most irritating inane voids ever to be created in a knee trembler behind the 'Big Market' on a Friday night.

As for elocution at least they have a basic command of the English language, the Geordie bores would not know a vowel if it smacked them in the face.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching on catch up. These salesmen don't care one bit that the customer can't afford the repayments. With the 3 girls, they didn't care where the money came from as long as they got it. You could tell by the face of the girl buying that she couldn't afford the £200 a month but she didn't care because she wanted the car. But now, she can fall behind on payments and it will be her sister that suffers when her credit rating is wrecked.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The crooked stuff is not on display. For eg: What do you do for a living. Whatever your occupation his uncle is also doing it. Instant rapport...if his uncle works near me he wont rip me will he...you bet he will.

Another example. Let me go in and ask the boss. There is no boss. He is the boss. he decides if he wants to reduce the price. Its all a game.

The first episode showed very much that there is a boss who has a balance sheet for the cars and agrees with or pushes his sales team to do a better deal.
    Of course, the salesmen use the "us and them" routine to appear on-side with the customer, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the use of the term "crooked" for what is patter or flannel.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 130,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    speigel wrote: »
    'Devon people dont want nice cars" what a dumb blonde.

..."and they all live in fields".

That made me laugh! :D
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same with lots of sales techniques, particularly kitchens and double glazing, the offer if for today only etc, I'll just need to clear that big discount with the boss (I suspect they ring the speaking clock sometimes..)
    I was watching the bit with the young bloke wanting the Range Rover, how did the salesman think that he'd be able to afford the insurance after the faffing round with the finance? Seemed blindingly obvious too me that he couldn't afford it.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    All this for a car?

All what for a car?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    Watching on catch up. These salesmen don't care one bit that the customer can't afford the repayments. With the 3 girls, they didn't care where the money came from as long as they got it. You could tell by the face of the girl buying that she couldn't afford the £200 a month but she didn't care because she wanted the car. But now, she can fall behind on payments and it will be her sister that suffers when her credit rating is wrecked.

To be fair, if you worked on a commission based salary you would only care about the sale too. Anyway, it's for the finance company to decide if they can afford it or not, not the salesman. He's just selling a car
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

There is a boss, it's quite clear who is the boss if you've watched it.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up watching as I couldn't understand a word they said. Accents were just tooooooo strong.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 130,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I gave up watching as I couldn't understand a word they said. Accents were just tooooooo strong.

There was one salesman, I think his name was James, who was telling a customer which cars they had and he kept saying " au o, au o". :confused:

I later discovered that he was actually saying "auto". :D
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting show but I would never consider buying a car off of these mugs their desperation would put me right off as it did most customers.

There was no talk of how many owners, service history, hpi check, warranty or cost of maintenance on top of finance which is all part of negotiating.
    Some people want things so bad that when they eventually get them realise very quickly it's not really what they want.
    It's an expensive lesson to learn but we have all been there.

Shopping around online you will find quite a lot of the big main dealers nowadays sell higher mileage cars
    (if they are considered too good for auction) on the forecourt with full service history and a years warranty
    at very affordable prices rather then send them to auction which is where the Essex boys get theirs.
    Many offer good finance terms as well.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    There is a boss, it's quite clear who is the boss if you've watched it.
    Yeah - the Guy behind the Computer - with all the figures...and he wasn't happy with Scott this week.:eek:

Did like the Silent Close with James - but he failed.:D
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Yeah - the Guy behind the Computer - with all the figures...and he wasn't happy with Scott this week.:eek:

Did like the Silent Close with James - but he failed.:D

Not surprised he wasn't happy with Scott. Scott balsed up simple mathematics and nearly gave the Fiesta away. The 'boss' had to sort the mess out. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All what for a car?

Asking your sister/s to make repayments on your behalf just so you can buy a fancy car. Just wait until you can afford it yourself, or buy a cheaper car. It will still get you from A to B.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Scott will be sacked.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a good programme, fascinating and good fun. One of the salesmen (sorry, I am not good at names) was really poor and never got anywhere near selling the car - he was only really interested in sneering at them, trying to make them look small for not buying - he will not sell cars that way.

I have only ever bought one second hand car, which is probably why |I liked the programme so much. I have bought new ones, and kept them many years, it saves a lot of money. No good of course if you are a person who always wants a recent model.

What everyone says is it is daft buying new because it loses so much value immediately. That is true, but if you look after it and keep it 15 years that does not matter a bit.
  • ScousingScowlerScousingScowler Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never buy a car from a place like that, on their site they don't even list how many miles the cars have done.
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steviex wrote: »
    ..."and they all live in fields".

That made me laugh! :D

The three Essex slappers, all permatan and getting their norks out? :D Getting turned down for credit twice was due reward. It was the comments, which cracked me up, as they put me in mind of this famous car ad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIQ-283wKgg
  • Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    That Scott will be sacked.

... next week. :rolleyes: