Options

Non PC TV Shows

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
One show that never gets mentioned with regard to racist language is Phoenix Nights.

given that they have cut out bits of Fawlty Towers, and Only Fools among others - would they ever broadcast Peter Kay's car alarm from Phoenix Nights?

Do any others come to mind?

Comments

• Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I dont remember that car alarm scene as being in any way racist?
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    I dont remember that car alarm scene as being in any way racist?

It wasn't
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The Inbetweeners?

"Alright gays" is Jay's usual greeting to his mates.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One show that never gets mentioned with regard to racist language is Phoenix Nights.

given that they have cut out bits of Fawlty Towers, and Only Fools among others - would they ever broadcast Peter Kay's car alarm from Phoenix Nights?

Do any others come to mind?

The car alarm says:

"Get back you bastard or I'll break your legs."

What's racist about that?
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is 'get back you b**tard, I'll break your legs' racist? I'm not seeing it at all :confused:
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely nothing comes even remotely close to Shameless?

I can barely think of a quote that wouldn't get me banned from DS!
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phoenix Nights also featured that racist song, I think it was about shoes if i remember correctly?
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    mrsmoose wrote: »
    Phoenix Nights also featured that racist song, I think it was about shoes if i remember correctly?
    "Send the buggers back" it was called. As soon as it was pointed out to Potter that the reference wasnt really to shoes but immigrants he stopped the act.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    The Inbetweeners?

"Alright gays" is Jay's usual greeting to his mates.

I don't think gays are a race so this wouldn't be racist.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrsmoose wrote: »

Yes but in the program they'd booked the performer not realising he was racist and were all mortified by it.

The song was called 'Send the Buggers Back' and was about receiving black shoes for a first communion instead of the white ones which had been ordered.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »

I thought the thread was about things that aren't PC, does that mean just racism then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »

Aren't they homosapien like everyone else?
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    The black bin bags song on Phoenix Nights wasn't very PC but it was all part of the joke.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The black bin bags song on Phoenix Nights wasn't very PC but it was all part of the joke.

That was a very funny song!:):p
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Father Ted episode with the Chinese people :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest Cardinal Burns ep has white people dressing up as a chinese person. Very Un-pc if they did the same with a black person I doubt it would be allowed.

Still found it funny though.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    This episode of The IT Crowd was pushing the boundaries somewhat. :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2esYwKxiU
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I thought Celebrity Juice the other week when he did the 'Are you gay or not gay' game was pushing it as well. Although if you're watching Celeb Juice you probably are immune to it.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Quite a lot of Family Guy and all the funnier for it.

Closer to home, I doubt that you'd get Little Britain commissioned today, what with incontinent old ladies, a faking wheelchair user, unconvincing transvestites, Vicky Pollard and The Only Gay in the Village. It's practically a checklist for Guardianistas looking to be offended on someone else's behalf. :D

Frankly, i think you'd even struggle to get something like The League of Gentlemen commissioned these days.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody wonder why 'Till Death Us Do Part' was both a landmark, 1960s /1970s British comedy series, (as were to a lesser extent its offshoots), yet is never repeated on our screens?
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said the Phoenix Nights car alarm wasn't racist. Also, the "send the buggers back" song didn't actually feature any racist words and as soon as they realised it had racist sentiments they stopped the act, that was the actual joke.
    The latest Cardinal Burns ep has white people dressing up as a chinese person. Very Un-pc if they did the same with a black person I doubt it would be allowed.

Still found it funny though.

I always think the dressing up and changing the colour of your skin thing is a bit of a strange one. The simple act of wearing black face paint is generally considered by most to be racist, I don't really think it is though. If you dressed as the Incredible Hulk you'd paint your skin green. When you dress up as someone you make yourself look like that person and take on their characteristics, whether that be hairstyle, eye colour, facial hair, skin colour, clothing etc. If for example you went to a fancy dress party where the theme was politics what is the difference between wearing terrible hair and an ill fitting suit to make yourself look like Boris Johnson and darkening your skin to make yourself look like Barack Obama? If you went to a "music legends" party, would it be racist to wear makeup to go as Jimi Hendrix?
    This episode of The IT Crowd was pushing the boundaries somewhat. :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aW2esYwKxiU

I think this is possibly my favourite episode of the IT Crowd, it's amazing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    The Father Ted episode with the Chinese people :D
    Why? They were treated with respect as far as I can remember; it was Father Ted and the other priests who, as always, came across as buffoons.
    Closer to home, I doubt that you'd get Little Britain commissioned today, what with incontinent old ladies, a faking wheelchair user, unconvincing transvestites, Vicky Pollard and The Only Gay in the Village. It's practically a checklist for Guardianistas looking to be offended on someone else's behalf. :D
    I think it was popular with Guardian readers in its time, but I don't think it has worn well. It really was the same week after week, and in the end there is something really arsey about rich, successful people endlessly jeering at people who have pretty shitty lives. I used to work in a spinal injuries centre, and I can honestly say that Lou and Andy were not popular with the young men who had just HAD it with having the catch phrases shouted at them in the street.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    This song from Victoria Wood Live would never be shown on TV today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAM2cLhBFzU
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    I always think the dressing up and changing the colour of your skin thing is a bit of a strange one. The simple act of wearing black face paint is generally considered by most to be racist, I don't really think it is though. If you dressed as the Incredible Hulk you'd paint your skin green. When you dress up as someone you make yourself look like that person and take on their characteristics, whether that be hairstyle, eye colour, facial hair, skin colour, clothing etc. If for example you went to a fancy dress party where the theme was politics what is the difference between wearing terrible hair and an ill fitting suit to make yourself look like Boris Johnson and darkening your skin to make yourself look like Barack Obama? If you went to a "music legends" party, would it be racist to wear makeup to go as Jimi Hendrix? .

it's all about the context though isn't it. Not all things are equal and for pretty obvious reasons.
    Someone imitating Barack Obama or the Hulk isn't quite the same as the good ol' Black and white Minstrels show for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Anybody wonder why 'Till Death Us Do Part' was both a landmark, 1960s /1970s British comedy series, (as were to a lesser extent its offshoots), yet is never repeated on our screens?

It's been on BBC4 before and the films are on occasionally.
    Meilie wrote: »
    This song from Victoria Wood Live would never be shown on TV today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAM2cLhBFzU

Yes it would.