Options

Why do some people have so little empathy for others?

day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
Forum Member
✭✭
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2074593

This question is inspired by the story in the thread link above.

More and more I find myself at a loss for words when it comes to how little empathy some people have for others to the point where they are downright callous. There has always been arseholes and always will be but I am wondering if the increasing pressure to live an impossibly fast paced and impersonal life has something to do with it. I think a general lack of empathy on an every day basis (people are still good at rallying around when there's a national disaster like the Nepal quake) is on the rise. It saddens me but maybe it's inevitable.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I have little empathy because people have little for me
  • Options
    jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats true and if you've been unlucky enough to come across many people who show little empathy for others.

It can become hard to except and recognize when one day some one does show genuine empathy.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2074593

This question is inspired by the story in the thread link above.

More and more I find myself at a loss for words when it comes to how little empathy some people have for others to the point where they are downright callous. There has always been arseholes and always will be but I am wondering if the increasing pressure to live an impossibly fast paced and impersonal life has something to do with it. I think a general lack of empathy on an every day basis (people are still good at rallying around when there's a national disaster like the Nepal quake) is on the rise. It saddens me but maybe it's inevitable.

Thoughts?

it seems in this, case, more like just a very ignorant statement made, perhaps in a moment of stress or foot in mouth

but yes, I can see your point

I mean, sometimes, there is real ignorance on the part of others, because, they are so caught in a mechanistic kind of consciousness

others, at times seems incredibly insensitive about everything
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I find it sad empathy is conditional with you. You seem very self absorbed tbh
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

Yes well so what, I'm sick of giving emotionally and getting nothing back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Empathy can become conditional though like i said in another post.
  • Options
    maxplusmaxplus Posts: 122
    Forum Member

That's not how it works.
    If you don't have empathy at least own that, don't blame others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxplus wrote: »
    That's not how it works.
    If you don't have empathy at least own that, don't blame others.
    I agree with Ebony. From what i can gather she's saying thats how it can develop.

Like i said if some one is unlucky enough to have had a lot of crap at them. That 'can' make a person lose empathy for others.
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a such a thing as compassion fatigue after a while, too and that can genuinely come from being too empathic and being worn out with it

i.e no boundaries
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are arseholes.
  • Options
    rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    If someone has little or no empathy it's not their fault and they can't really do much about it. As to why they lack it, they might be autistic or have Aspergers, or they might have one of several personality disorders.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    It's easy to be selective with empathy. Maybe those you condemn need your empathy?
  • Options
    Under_FlawUnder_Flaw Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Empathy is an umbrella term. I don't empathise with ISIS nutters who hack people to death. Doesn't mean I don't have empathy.

OP, when did you become the moral arbiter of the "correct" kind of empathy to possess? Some people don't understand suicide, some even find it selfish. Get over yourself
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    If someone has little or no empathy it's not their fault and they can't really do much about it. As to why they don't have it, they might be autistic or have Aspergers, or they might have one of several personality disorders.

My mother is a sociopath and she has no empathy. She's quite good at pretending though.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empathy is just the ability to "place oneself in another's shoes". That's it. A bit of a break from self absorption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone has little or no empathy it's not their fault and they can't really do much about it. As to why they lack it, they might be autistic or have Aspergers, or they might have one of several personality disorders.
    Very true that , people with those and other mental disorders a different ball game again. Can lack empathy through no fault of there own what so ever.
  • Options
    rusty robotrusty robot Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    My mother is a sociopath and she has no empathy. She's quite good at pretending though.

Yes, you can pretend. Ted Bundy famously volunteered at a suicide crisis center. The more high-functioning sociopaths are often very adept at mimicking emotional responses.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

Functioning psychopaths are superb at imitating normal human emotions.

Their masks are almost perfect.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I genuinely can't imagine what it would be like to have no empathy.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Functioning psychopaths are superb at imitating normal human emotions.

Their masks are almost perfect.

My ex boss was like that. It was hideous when her mask slipped. She did untold damage to so many.

I'd rather have empathy for others and be seen as a good person, than a hard hearted ball breaker.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    My ex boss was like that. It was hideous when her mask slipped. She did untold damage to so many.

I'd rather have empathy for others and be seen as a good person, than a hard hearted ball breaker.

Exactly.

She sounds like a really nasty bitch - it is a shame that Karma does not exist for people like her. >:(
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Empathy is just the ability to "place oneself in another's shoes". That's it. A bit of a break from self absorption.

Correct. People often confuse it with sympathy & compassion though. You don't need to be empathetic in order to be sympathetic & compassionate.

Also, being callous doesn't require a lack of empathy.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I genuinely can't imagine what it would be like to have no empathy.

Aspergers, autism, really bring home what communication is about . If you get the privilege of talking to someone with such a condition, it's an education.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Exactly.

She sounds like a really nasty bitch - it is a shame that Karma does not exist for people like her. >:(

We have to hope it does.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of previous info has ti arse-backwards re Asperger. It's been found that we take all of it in like a sponge - and it overloads.

We lack mirror neurons - and allocating CPU time to that is sometimes just too overwhelming.. hence overload, shutdown, meltdown.

And I've found that under stress, the social comms is the first thing to die.