Options

Windows 8 is nice

Comments

• Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Nope - havent had a chance to look at it yet. So the start button does the same as the windows key but slower?

And the same as moving your cursor to the bottom left and clicking

they have added shutdown to it also though
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    And the same as moving your cursor to the bottom left and clicking

they have added shutdown to it also though

Wish they'd merge the 3 search functions into one... that bugs me more than metro!
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they'd merge the 3 search functions into one... that bugs me more than metro!
    "The Search charm has been upgraded into a unified search system powered by Bing, and can analyze a user's search habits to return relevant content stored locally and from the internet."
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8.1#Windows_8.1
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Options is what these companies need to do (Microsoft, Google & Apple)

I personally have no problems with Win 8, but with more customisation there would be less negativity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    "The Search charm has been upgraded into a unified search system powered by Bing, and can analyze a user's search habits to return relevant content stored locally and from the internet."

Must have annoyed a lot of people then... at least they're listening to some points... just not a proper start button then
    Options is what these companies need to do (Microsoft, Google & Apple)

I personally have no problems with Win 8, but with more customisation there would be less negativity

Options aren't something any of those businesses are very good at!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Its not hard to switch to W8 but some just like to moan more than others I think. Look through any W8 thread and you'll see the same small core of posters hell bent on moaning about it; they switch to diatribe mode and repeat the same old stuff time after time about how they are right and those of us happy with W8 are wrong...they are a tiresome cadre to be honest.

Exactly the same can be said about the small core of anti-choice W8 Metro fanboys who come into every W8 thread extolling its so-called virtues. They are indeed a tiresome breed - how anyone can protest about people who are calling for choice is beyond me.

Nobody but nobody is asking for Metro to be dropped from W8, least of all me - because on some systems and for some people it is a useful front-end. Just as for others, a Start Menu configuration is a useful front-end (so both are needed, built-in).

I'd have thought everyone except the Microsoft marketing team should would support the additional choice, built-in. But no, that same tiresome small band continue to argue for our choice to continue to be left out, when we are not arguing for their choice to be left out. Big difference.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Okay... although as one of those that went through that the 3.1 to 95 upgrade, I didn't find the differences that hard to learn.

And the changes in 8.1 will mean that people need never go into the metro interface if they don't want to. They can stick to the familiar desktop interface.

I also wouldn't say it is like Vista... Vista had big performance issues when released.... it didn't really seem optimised and there were a lot of bugs in key functions. I've seen no issues int the same in 8.... apart from the poor sales... which is as much to do with the economy and software specs not changing much over the last 5 years

I too cut my teeth with 3.1 and I also know how to use W8. However, that misses the point. I know how to use it but I simply don't like it and neither do the majority of users - market research and sales figures are showing that loud and clear.

Instead of calling it Windows 8 they should have called it "all things to all men" as that's what it is trying to be and it ends up doing none of them really well, like most products that claim to be universal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I too cut my teeth with 3.1 and I also know how to use W8. However, that misses the point. I know how to use it but I simply don't like it and neither do the majority of users - market research and sales figures are showing that loud and clear.

Instead of calling it Windows 8 they should have called it "all things to all men" as that's what it is trying to be and it ends up doing none of them really well, like most products that claim to be universal.

I agree that metro isnt the most usable and can be annoying But I think the benefits outweigh the hassle of metro, at least for me so I'm sticking with it, Desktop mode and the new tools bundled with that are nice additions. Saying that, if it wasn't for the fact I got it free from work, I'd probably have stuck with 7 until the next major release. 7 is still totally up to the job and jas many years still left

Sales are poor but tha I think is directly related to poor PC sales... most basic users only got a new OS when they got a new PC... very few people I know dashed out to be XP when it was released to replace Wins98 but PC sales were strong then so they were making their sales through OEM... and unfortunaltey a weak economy along with the fact that windows 7 is still a good OS for what 90% of common users need it to do, means poor PC sales
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Exactly the same can be said about the small core of anti-choice W8 Metro fanboys who come into every W8 thread extolling its so-called virtues. They are indeed a tiresome breed - how anyone can protest about people who are calling for choice is beyond me.

Nobody but nobody is asking for Metro to be dropped from W8, least of all me - because on some systems and for some people it is a useful front-end. Just as for others, a Start Menu configuration is a useful front-end (so both are needed, built-in).

I'd have thought everyone except the Microsoft marketing team should would support the additional choice, built-in. But no, that same tiresome small band continue to argue for our choice to continue to be left out, when we are not arguing for their choice to be left out. Big difference.

Well said Dave, agree with you 100%. In fact I've put one of the 'fanboys' on ignore as he made it uncomfortable to read this forum.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said Dave, agree with you 100%. In fact I've put one of the 'fanboys' on ignore as he made it uncomfortable to read this forum.

I find the 'Duplo', 'Fisher Price' and 'I installed it but didn't pay for it' haters equally annoying. They go on and off my ignore list depending on my mood.

I was given a product key from MS for Windows 8 whilst I was a trainer, but I still haven't used it. Maybe W8.1 or a later version will change my mind.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope - havent had a chance to look at it yet. So the start button does the same as the windows key but slower?

Yeah, Msoft could have handled the people who just dont want you deal with Metro better... But would you change to Linux or OS X because of it?

I am getting close to jumping to Linux, I got it installed on the laptop. One bit of software stops me dropping windows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »

One way to get people to use their search engine I suppose. I don't want any search engine analysing my searches think you very much.

if i search for a file on my computer then that search should stay on my computer, not sent off to Bing or any other search engine
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like Windows 8 but I had to install Start8 as I find having a start button more convenient to access my programmes and the control panel. The Metro programmes are not as good as their full desktop equivalents so I've just set it up to go to directly to the full programmes using OblyTile. I love the speed of Windows 8 and overall it's a good improvement on Windows 7.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am getting close to jumping to Linux, I got it installed on the laptop. One bit of software stops me dropping windows.

Many a time I've thought about switching to Linux so that I could visit any website I wanted without the fear of being infected by a virus. The trouble is though, it's still not familiar enough for me to start using it. Macs are more user friendly than Linux is. If a LOT more websites out there started offering Linux downloads, I might just switch to Linux. There's still a few things that's stopping me from making the switch.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Many a time I've thought about switching to Linux so that I could visit any website I wanted without the fear of being infected by a virus.
    How about a Chromebook for that?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the idea of a unified search system, like Google it does make searches very simple. I've not messed about with the upgrade much but look forward to the official full release.

W8 has been much talked about and MS have come through quickly with a fast update which begs the question was it bad planning at the start or a bit of devious marketing on their part?

As much as I like Android as an OS on phones and tablets to be honest its still pretty much a two horse show (maybe three if you include Linux) with Windows way out in front and Apple stuck with their much smaller niche market both for serious computing. I've seen W8 as a natural progression from W7 as we all move on in home computers and it won't be long before 'gestures' type interfaces partly replace the mouse which will really open things up for those of us who favour big screens; can't see me sitting in front of a big screen swiping with a finger on the screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One of the big misconceptions about Microsoft is that it is seen as a consumer product like Apple. The fact is that Microsofts profits come from Enterprise not the consumer market. This is where MS need to focus their attention and I really hope they concentrate on that market once Ballmer has gone. They need to produce products for Enterprise not consumers, leave that market to Apple and Google. Analysts have been saying much the same thing for some time now.
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been using Windows 8 for a week or two now having bought a shiny new Laptop with 8 pre installed.
    I can find my way around it quite well, but that doesn't mean to say I like the new interface - I don't.
    My view is that the Metro interface is very good for touch screen devices not so good for Mouse/Keyboard use.
    Last night I spent a frustrating length of time trying to preview some photos on my camera (a simple process in W7) after some searching online I found out how to preview photos as in W7, why MS didn't leave this setting as the normal I have no idea.
    In another reply on this topic someone suggested attending a course for Pensioners at a local Community Centre, I am actually involved in such a course - not as a student though, I act as technical support despite being less than 18 Months from being a Pensioner myself!
    The conventional Start Button/Menu is a quick and efficient method of accessing all your programs Windows 8's start screen is relatively slow and cumbersome.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    The Windows 8 Windows key doesn't open the start menu unless you set it to in Classic Shell etc. It opens one of two screenfuls of silly little squares, most of which contain mostly pretty but meaningless icons, sorted in no obvious logical order and requiring the multiple use of an arrow key to see them all even on an HD screen.

I've just tried it (as I didn't set Classic Shell to block it) and my eye was drawn to such Start Screen gems as "Register Sony Direct X Audio...", "Quality Settings", "Mouse Healthy Computing", "Support Tool" and "Generate a Static OpenVPN key". The first I have no interest in, the next three I have no idea what they even are or what programs, O/S or utility they relate to, and the last one - what the hell is it even doing on my main Start Screen? :eek: It's three levels down on the Start Menu, where it should be! I certainly didn't choose to have them there and the All Apps screens (three of them!) is even worse.

All the above is taken care of automatically in the Classic Shell Start Menu - no action required by me. Roll on 8.2 and hopefully The Return Of The Built-In Start Menu.

Oh I see, You mean it doesn't open what you think it should open? I don't think anyone said it would open what you wanted......

It's a shame you haven't grasped the discussion in anyway. Blinded by your own prejudices, your automatic assumption is that if anyone says anything positive about W8 they are a fanboy.
    No one, said MS shouldn't give you a choice. The fact is they didn't, so nothing to argue about. You haven't even kept up with what people are actually saying they use or how they use it......Because we use it doesn't mean we don't advocate the choice. You just use that automatic knee jerk reaction whenever something other than CS is mentioned. What you are doing is stopping any actual discussion on the use of W8 as an OS. Fine if you don't or can't use it, but that shouldn't mean that each and every discussion is hijacked by the Classic shell suit brigade.
    So the irony of your post is that you are behaving in exactly the way you complained was happening....which wasn't really!!
  • Options
    emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many a time I've thought about switching to Linux so that I could visit any website I wanted without the fear of being infected by a virus. The trouble is though, it's still not familiar enough for me to start using it. Macs are more user friendly than Linux is. If a LOT more websites out there started offering Linux downloads, I might just switch to Linux. There's still a few things that's stopping me from making the switch.

There are Linux versions of most things. You find most of them in the Software Center (or equivalent), rather than having to go to a myriad of websites.
    Games I suppose is still an area of lack?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Linux is far better than Windows, depending on the distro you use, you can go as far as you want with Linux, from using command lines like a mate of mine does, to different WIMP UI. There is plenty of software out there for most things, but sadly some of it is not just there. KdenLive is getting pretty good now, but not yet up to Vegas standard and that is the only thing that is keeping me to windows.

Not sure what you are on about websites and downloads. ubuntu, Mint and other Debian based distros have a central software centre, something like MS wants to do with their store in the metro UI.

The difference with linux is that you are not stuck with that, where with Windows if MS have their way, everything even for the desktop will come via the store, that is what MS wants. Also software via the software centre is free, open source most of it.

Linux can still get infected with viruses, but there are not many around, just like for the Mac.

I thought about the Mac as well, but paying the high price Apple wants for what is in my opinion a pretty standard machine just because it got a Apple name on it is not for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    One of the big misconceptions about Microsoft is that it is seen as a consumer product like Apple. The fact is that Microsofts profits come from Enterprise not the consumer market. This is where MS need to focus their attention and I really hope they concentrate on that market once Ballmer has gone. They need to produce products for Enterprise not consumers, leave that market to Apple and Google. Analysts have been saying much the same thing for some time now.

You are 100% right. But Apple is not just for consumer, their Macs are still used in DTP and design. I know PCs are used as well these days, but it is still mainly Macs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    You are 100% right. But Apple is not just for consumer, their Macs are still used in DTP and design. I know PCs are used as well these days, but it is still mainly Macs.

Re: Apple, they do make high end machines for industry, though SJ' purposely moved Apple towards a consumer based company. Under TC's leadership they have now re-focused on Enterprise again though at present it is only small scale.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows 8 gave my old vista laptop a new lease of life. But I have only ran it with startisback. I can't believe anyone who is a power user would use W8 without a start button. Maybe basic users would but advanced users like me need the extra functionality.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Oh I see, You mean it doesn't open what you think it should open? I don't think anyone said it would open what you wanted......
    I have no idea what you mean by the above. My post you quoted first was intended to correct an incorrect statement and/or implication by you, and I added some examples of why Metro Start Screen(s)/All Apps Screen(s) isn't/aren't equivalent to the start menu as you seemed to suggest. If you hadn't done that (and it's not the first time) I wouldn't even have posted. For the umpteenth time, the multiple Start Screen/All Apps screens are not equivalent to the classic Start Menu system; they are a replacement for it and many people find them to be an inadequate replacement, on desktop PCs and even laptops.
    call100 wrote: »
    It's a shame you haven't grasped the discussion in anyway. Blinded by your own prejudices, your automatic assumption is that if anyone says anything positive about W8 they are a fanboy.

I certainly have grasped the discussion and in the past I've had plenty of positive things to say about Windows 8. Hell, I've been using it for a year and I wouldn't go back to Windows 7 unless Microsoft nobble the 3rd party start menu add-ons. W8 (with Start Menu added back and Metro suppressed) is much improved over W7 and is far better than XP (which I still dual-boot). However, my post that you quoted second was to reply to and correct someone else's attack on posters who like me persist in discussing our (and many others') objections to what MS have done. So I responded in kind because I won't let that kind of mischief lie unchallenged.

If those who like you like Metro would avoid posting erroneous information or implications, and would refrain from thinly veiled personal attacks as the other poster made, there would be no need for me and others to intervene to correct and defend. I accept that some people get on with Metro and like it; it's time for you and those who defend it to accept that for many of us, Metro is completely unacceptable and that the sensible way out is for Microsoft to officially cater for both sets of users. The sooner they do it (8.2 please) the sooner they will restore their tarnished reputation.

However, Metro aside, Windows 8 is a really good O/S that I can thoroughly recommend to Windows 7 users and especially to the many XP users still out there. I'm quite willing to discuss the improvements if anyone has questions.