Diana Ross & The Supremes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think as times gone by people have perhaps forgotten just how huge they were, they were second only to the Beatles in terms of record sales and chart success during the 1960s. They were by far the most successful black artists of the 60s. Berry Gordy's amazing Tamla Motown record label as a whole did so much to break down the barriers but Diana Ross and The Supremes were the top act.

I also think its easy to forget that Diana Ross was one of the original divas. We might never have had Madonna,Whitney Houston Mariah Carey,Alicia Keys, Beyonce,Rihanna without her. She was the first,she set the standard:D

Comments

• Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a few of their songs including Relections and You Keep Me Hanging On. My favourite of theirs though is The Happening. I particularly like its growing opening.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a double CD of their greatest hits about 10-15 years ago and what I found was that it wasn't necessarily the big hits that I remembered from the time that I was drawn to............it was a couple of maybe minor hits

Falling In And out of love
    I hear a Symphony

.........and then almost out of nowhere in the mid-80s came Diana's Chain Reaction (written by the Bee Gees !) which was almost a perfect Motown sound
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Diana Ross is going to be 70 in a few months time..........:eek:
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    I LOVE them :D

Nothing But Heartaches is a fave :p
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love them...

but they're no Spice Girls.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Love them...

but they're no Spice Girls.

I wouldn't have wanted them to be like the spice girls. I like them for being the supremes not the spice girls! I never got the fuss about the spice girls, they even had the nerve to declare themselves to be the first ever girl group! erm no get lost! Years before they were even born we had the Supremes, Ronettes.Shirelles, Marvelettes, Martha Reeves and the Vandellas...

Give me the supremes over the spice girls anytime!
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Have to disagree Kenny, The Supremes are in a league of their own for setting the girl group mould, plus lets not forget it was really Bananarama who broke the mould and paved the way for the Spice Girls.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmm.... think you are overplaying their impact IN THE UK... they were bigger in america though.

as for diana ross being the original diva... thats not a good thing. she apparently trod on anyone to get what she wanted, allegedly sleeping her way to the top, getting fellow bandmates sacked, amongst other allegations. this for me has tainted their material which was bloody good!

they werent the first girl group, they werent the only girl group, but they were the most successful with an impresive catalogue of great tracks. plus in the 60's there was still rampant racism around, and alot of people didnt like black music simply because it was made by black people.

my fav is probably 'where did our love go', but tbh i cant think of a bad track.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I also think its easy to forget that Diana Ross was one of the original divas. We might never have had Madonna,Whitney Houston Mariah Carey,Alicia Keys, Beyonce,Rihanna without her.

I loathe all those acts you list (well, maybe not Madonna so much), so if Diana Ross, whom I'm not a great fan of either, is responsible for them then she certainly has a lot to answer for. ;)
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,182
    Forum Member
    I like a few of their songs including Relections and You Keep Me Hanging On. My favourite of theirs though is The Happening. I particularly like its growing opening.

The Happening is my joint fave with Someday We'll Be Together.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were pretty special. I'd also mention 'Love Child' and 'Up the Ladder to the Roof'
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "But They're no spice girls"
    Well of course they are no spice girls. They could sing and were talented. In a totally different league. My god, what a ridiculous comment.

I have their GH and they are just simply timeless. It's a shame what happened to them though. They became a victim of too many line-up changes and they were never the same when Diana left.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loathe all those acts you list (well, maybe not Madonna so much), so if Diana Ross, whom I'm not a great fan of either, is responsible for them then she certainly has a lot to answer for. ;)

:D ill second that!

(except madge though).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

hehe well i was never a mariah or whitney or beyonce fan but i know millions love them:D