argos charged twice.....

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
and put my son overdrawn by £170, they`re "looking into it" and will let them know in a week or so.

they have children and now no money, what can they do?

Comments

• TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing much, it's how things are these days.

Business does what it likes.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it was your business and someone told you this would you just give the money back without looking into it?

Argos have to look into what has happened.

Is it their fault? Is it the banks fault?

They cannot just go around handing out money on a customers say so
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now no money, what can they do?

Take it back and get a refund.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    and put my son overdrawn by £170, they`re "looking into it" and will let them know in a week or so.

That's an easy one.

The loving grandparents will ensure the children don't do without.
    The wicked grandparents will call it "life experience".

In the meantime. Never rely on just one bank account or plastic card!

£170 spent in Argos will give you up to £8 cashback and 340 Avios if you use the right plastic...
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I used to work for Argos.

From what I remember, an Argos till can put through thousands of transactions a day and a customer being charged twice is virtually unheard of. For one, it's all automatic. There literally is no way of being charged twice without an item appearing twice on your receipt and then two items arriving at the collection. On the rare occasion this happens, a till assistant will immediately correct the problem and apologise.

Argos have detailed information of every transaction.

If you said you were changed twice, it would have taken a very concerned till assistant 15 seconds to verify it on a store computer or 5 minutes on an office computer (with a bit of research into the problem). I'm guessing they did that and it confirmed that you were only charged once, otherwise they wouldn't have told you they were looking into it. However, if it happened quite a long time ago (why was it left so long?) then researching the issue becomes more complex - still, it should have been sorted out on your visit to the store that day and you would be asked to take a seat, no matter how busy it was. To do otherwise would simply be poor customer service and I know from experience that Argos goes above and beyond when it comes to pleasing customers.

It's possible that an offer had finished and the cost of the item had doubled in price, giving the illusion you were charged twice. But then, the cost of each item is read out at the time of purchase. If a reserved item had gone up in price and it was lower at the time the reservation was made, Argos would reduce the price for you there and then.

I think it highly unlikely a till assistant would steal the £170. The till's balance would show up wrong at the end of the day, which staff can get into a lot of trouble for, it would be extremely risky, complex and hard to get away with for the member of staff (as they will know) and at this time of year, the company rarely employs temps. I would imagine they would steal much more than £170. However, it remains a possibility which would have been referred to the police.

I hope it gets sorted soon.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    I used to work for Argos.

From what I remember, an Argos till can put through thousands of transactions a day and a customer being charged twice is virtually unheard of. For one, it's all automatic. There literally is no way of being charged twice without an item appearing twice on your receipt and then two items arriving at the collection. On the rare occasion this happens, a till assistant will immediately correct the problem and apologise.

Argos have detailed information of every transaction.

If you said you were changed twice, it would have taken a very concerned till assistant 15 seconds to verify it on a store computer or 5 minutes on an office computer (with a bit of research into the problem). I'm guessing they did that and it confirmed that you were only charged once, otherwise they wouldn't have told you they were looking into it. However, if it happened quite a long time ago (why was it left so long?) then researching the issue becomes more complex - still, it should have been sorted out on your visit to the store that day and you would be asked to take a seat, no matter how busy it was. To do otherwise would simply be poor customer service and I know from experience that Argos goes above and beyond when it comes to pleasing customers.

It's possible that an offer had finished and the cost of the item had doubled in price, giving the illusion you were charged twice. But then, the cost of each item is read out at the time of purchase. If a reserved item had gone up in price and it was lower at the time the reservation was made, Argos would reduce the price for you there and then.

I think it highly unlikely a till assistant would steal the £170. The till's balance would show up wrong at the end of the day, which staff can get into a lot of trouble for, it would be extremely risky, complex and hard to get away with for the member of staff (as they will know) and at this time of year, the company rarely employs temps. I would imagine they would steal much more than £170. However, it remains a possibility which would have been referred to the police.

I hope it gets sorted soon.

they`ve done this three or four times already but in smaller amounts, the money goes on the day of payment and then again three days later. they are not the only ones moaning about it either.

one woman is out nearly £2000.

this wasn`t a store transaction.
    Forum Member
    That's an easy one.

The loving grandparents will ensure the children don't do without.
    The wicked grandparents will call it "life experience".

In the meantime. Never rely on just one bank account or plastic card!

£170 spent in Argos will give you up to £8 cashback and 340 Avios if you use the right plastic...

this loving grandparent is skint herself :(.
    Forum Member
    sadly [in many ways] it`s furniture, they don`t have anything material to take back yet.
    Forum Member
    they`ve been in touch with argos i would have thought that had already been suggested.

also, with the bank charges, will argos pay those if the bank enforces them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this loving grandparent is skint herself :(.

How about her parents? (This is a bit like pulling teeth)
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    How about her parents? (This is a bit like pulling teeth)

i don`t know the others side`s financial situation. why would i?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don`t know the others side`s financial situation. why would i?

Their daughter can ask them etc etc
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they were saving the £170 until the next benefit payment the following week.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pirates they are..

Arrrggooossss

hope you get it sorted Annette
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I've ever been charges twice for anything but I've always found Argos very reasonable whenever I've had a problem with them.
    In a case like this though, I'm sure there will be strict protocols they'll need to follow and check in order to ensure that the complainant isn't trying to scam them (which I'm not for a minute suggesting that your son is). So these things will take a bit of time rather than someone getting a refund from merely returning something.
    I'm sure it'll get sorted though. I would be more persistent with them though and make sure they know full well that your son has no money at the moment because of their mistake.
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to put my pennyworth in - a fiver is a lot of money - WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE IT!!

Anyway, unfortunately your son is going to have to wait. As someone said before - they can't just go 'Yep, have your money' because, well, they might find themselves out of business. Not everyone is honest.

If he has been charged twice - chances are he'll get two deliveries. Therefore evidence of what he's saying is right.

Has he got his bank statements? It may do him better to pop in to his local Argos, with bank statement and evidence of being charged twice. Did he get two confirmation emails? If so - take them both too. Sometimes you get further being face to face.

I've found Argos to be quite fair actually. On the few occasions I have had to complain they've been quite good. I would recommend him going in and talking to someone.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure the transaction has gone through and isn't pending?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    If the bank is holding funds they can release them straight away, if they choose to. Mine did after I went through the erroneous transaction with them and it was obvious that it wasn't going to be taken a second time (even then they warned me that if the payment was taken I would be out of pocket, but I knew it wouldn't be so I wasn't concerned).

I wouldn't suggest reporting it as fraud - that is a step too far. It's a mistake but that is not the same as accusing a company of fraud. The company has already said they will look into it and get back - they haven't said 'tough we're taking/keeping the money'. Technical things go wrong with banks all the time. It's shit when you're down to the last tenner and pay doesn't go in on the right day - but it happens.

I did say 'if Argos drag their heels'.

There is no reason they should consider themselves to be 'above the law' if they do play silly buggers. It's un-authorised therefore fraudulent.

I deal with card payments all the time and if I accidentally charged somebody twice I'd expect it to be charge-backed unless I dealt with the refund bloody swiftly.
    Forum Member
    they got the money back today and argos have apologised for their mistake.

thank you to everyone who replied except monty_thick_fuque.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    they got the money back today and argos have apologised for their mistake.

thank you to everyone who replied except monty_thick_fuque.

Classy :p:p

Anyway, I dont see anyone called Monty or whatever in this thread so who on earth are you referencing? :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    Classy :p:p

Anyway, I dont see anyone called Monty or whatever in this thread so who on earth are you referencing? :confused::confused:

no, i see his spiteful post has gone now.

he only pops in to make nasty remarks and he does it every time i start a thread in advice [not just me].

it`s one thing in gd but people are in here for advice not discussion, or more accurately in this case nasty, sly and unhelpful comments.
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    What was he suggesting?
    Forum Member
    What was he suggesting?

that they were irresponsible parents for going overdrawn by £170 due to argos double charging and if he had kids etc etc and then his little sidekick jumped in with the same m.o. making snide remarks about benefits, like two socks in a drawer.

mind the neither has a clue about my boy`s finances.