Does Anybody Actually Watch The Commentaries

Does anybody? I don't. When it comes to special features i watch all of them apart from the commentries. I couldn't bear watching the film again with the director rambling on about why he put a cloth there and a lamp over there. Perhaps for specific scenes some people may find it useful but on the whole it is a wate of time. Give me outtakes, deleted scenes or making of documentary anyday.
Also surely at least the trailors should be included on every DVD i think it should be made as a minimum standard because i have DVDs which have no special features at all. Although i am impressed that fewer and fewer are coming without extras recently. Well done to the film companies!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Yes. Definitely. I watch them. They are excellent insights into how the film was created.

The Ususal Suspects R1 DVD is a great example of a good commentary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I watch them also. The on for Patch Adams was excellent. I think it's a useful insight, although I would only watch them for films I really like.

Wouldn't mind watching/listening to the commentaries by Mr Lucas for Star Wars!
  • djcityboydjcityboy Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I sometimes watch the commentaries on DVDs and Blu-Rays because it lets me see the movie from a much different and also better way compared to if I had never seen any commentaries or behind the scenes rarities about the movies I have been watching. :cool:

My favorite commentary was the one about the SpongeBob Squarepants movie from 2004 where all the voice actors give their opinions on the characters they are portraying. :cool:
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger Moore on his Special Edition Bond DVD/Blu-rays. . .Chaise longue, smoking jacket, oversized Havana, comfy slippers, large glass of brandy. Him, not me.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Occasionally I do. Others have pretty much summed up the benefits.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some, we watched the ones for LotR and harry potter.

And blade runner as well.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robert Rodriguez gives very in-depth commentaries on his stuff. Well worth a try.

And I think DVDs with adverts, or trailers on should be cheaper to buy as the companies are clearly making a fortune out of them and can therefore afford to let the DVDs go out cheaper to the end customer.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the commentaries, the special features, or how the film was made. I don't want to see any trailers either. If the distributors want to do this, and from the comments above, some punters enjoy them, then release the extra features plus the film and charge more for it. For me, just the film will do and charge me less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the commentaries, the special features, or how the film was made. I don't want to see any trailers either. If the distributors want to do this, and from the comments above, some punters enjoy them, then release the extra features plus the film and charge more for it. For me, just the film will do and charge me less.

That thought had crossed my mind as well. Why can;t they do that? It may result is less piracy because people will pay for the bits they want as opposed to the inflated figure for things they do not want.

At some point, I believe, they used to release one sided 45 rpm records for this reason, so people could just buy the hit for less money.
    Forum Member
    At some point, I believe, they used to release one sided 45 rpm records for this reason, so people could just buy the hit for less money.

I hadn't heard of this before, and a quick Google shows you are correct. This quote from Wiki; 'In 1982, CBS marketed one-sided singles at a lower price than two-sided singles.'
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL, yet another thread brought back from the dead!
    Yes. Definitely. I watch them. They are excellent insights into how the film was created.

The Ususal Suspects R1 DVD is a great example of a good commentary.

The commentary for The Usual Suspects is actually the only one I've ever bothered with all the way through...

... and it was actually on VHS, lol. Twin-tape retail edition back before DVD, one tape had the film and the other tape had the film with the commentary track on it.

It's one of my fave films of all time, which I've owned on VHS (a couple of versions including the above), R1 DVD, R2 DVD, and Blu-ray.
    Forum Member
    Bugger! I didn't even notice the date. I suppose it shows that this is still going on though. I would never even think of trawling through old threads. Djcityboy must have a lot of time on his hands!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger! I didn't even notice the date. I suppose it shows that this is still going on though. I would never even think of trawling through old threads. Djcityboy must have a lot of time on his hands!

Me neither, but does it matter? I've done this when searching for threads on a certain subject.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't heard of this before, and a quick Google shows you are correct. This quote from Wiki; 'In 1982, CBS marketed one-sided singles at a lower price than two-sided singles.'

They must have abandoned the concept quite quickly and I can't say I blame them. After all, wouldn't it cost more money pressing two lots of records for the same song?

I have Paul Young's "Love of the Common People" on one sided 45 rpm. The other side says "THIS IS A ONE SIDED SINGLE DO NOT PLAY THIS SIDE" and it has a silent groove on it. So it would cost them the same to press this as just to press the normal B side on the reverse wouldn't it?
    Forum Member
    Me neither, but does it matter? I've done this when searching for threads on a certain subject.

I don't suppose it does on reflection and I too have searched for threads on a certain subject, but only going back a year at most, not as far back as 2000. There have been a lot of old threads resurrected recently though, and I keep on getting caught out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't suppose it does on reflection and I too have searched for threads on a certain subject, but only going back a year at most, not as far back as 2000. There have been a lot of old threads resurrected recently though, and I keep on getting caught out.

Don't worry about it, it's good that old threads are still being used. ;)
    Forum Member
    ..and your Paul Young one-sided 45rpm single was released by.....CBS in 1982!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..and your Paul Young one-sided 45rpm single was released by.....CBS in 1982!

It was a CBS record indeed.

It's the only one sided 45 rpm record I've ever seen on general release.
    Forum Member
    It's the only one sided 45 rpm record I've ever seen on general release.

It might be worth a few bob to Paul Young or unusual record collectors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be worth a few bob to Paul Young or unusual record collectors.

Possibly and I don't intend to let it go just yet. I fall into the latter.

Should try selling single disc DVDs with just the film on in a cardboard sleeve. See how many would buy that.
    Forum Member
    Should try selling single disc DVDs with just the film on in a cardboard sleeve. See how many would buy that.

Well I would if it was a lot cheaper. I've got an order in from Amazon for the Skyfall Blu-ray + DVD release on 18th Feb. Why would I want a DVD copy as well as a Blu-ray? Amazon sent me an email a couple of days ago saying; 'We're pleased to inform you that we've upgraded your order of Skyfall on Blu-ray to a limited edition Steelbook version at no extra cost. As you had already pre-ordered this item, we wanted you to automatically receive this premium edition, which only has limited quantities available.'

I'd rather they'd sent me an email saying a single disc Blu-ray in a cardboard sleeve was available which they wanted me to receive and the price was now reduced by £10!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching all the stuff at the beginning of a DVD is like watching TV commercials between programmes.
    It's bad enough having to wait through all the legal stuff before the adverts. Not for me, "too much to do, so little time."
  • kramstan70kramstan70 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Nope, mostly don't bother with extras/commentaries etc unless it's deleted scenes; alternate endings or outtakes which can be interesting and/or amusing.

I agree with poster above who said that they would like to see a stripped back version of a film released on DVD/BR without the extras at a cheaper price and a version with the extras at a premium price. For most punters I suspect they're not that interested in the extras and would prefer to pay a few quid less instead.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i really enjoy them - a few good ones here

- topsy turvy
    - rambo (latest one in the far east)
    - once upon a time in the west

now harry brown (michael caine) was disappointing, and the commentaries on Ever Decreasing Circles are criminal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough, I got the Ong Bak 2 film on German DVD and it has film trailers you can watch in English or German (even though the main feature has no English soundtrack or subtitles). Weird, eh?