Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 46)

Comments

• Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    Hope both Saturday Night Takeaway and Let's Dance rate well, both proper, fun, light entertainment shows that you don't get often anymore.

Expect And and Dec to edge it.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    They are overnights.

A check quick on BARB reveals SNT added about 400,000 / 500,000 on timeshift
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Cut to the chase and just pre write your posts now. The rating was BAD news for itv, itv will be worried, are Ant & Dec's careers over etc etc.

7m+ would be brilliant

6-7m would be good

5-6m would be a bit disappointment considering what they've acheived before.

under 5m would be unthinkable even with "Let's Dance with a rugby lead-in" as opposition.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Theres a dead rubber Six nations tie in 3 weeks time in peak time between France and Scotland. BBC needs to put this on BBC Two instead of BBC One. If they put it on BBC one, they will be gifting Ant & Dec a lot more viewers just like how last week's bad rating FA Cup game gifted Lets Dance lots of viewers.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    A check quick on BARB reveals SNT added about 400,000 / 500,000 on timeshift

Yes, series 9 officially averaged 6.63m (27.6%), up 379k from the overnight average of 6.25m (27.1%).

As D.M.N. said, it's starting 45 mins earlier so the ratings will naturally be lower (all else being equal, e.g. competition).
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,227
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Theres a dead rubber Six nations tie in 3 weeks time in peak time between France and Scotland. BBC needs to put this on BBC Two instead of BBC One. If they put it on BBC one, they will be gifting Ant & Dec a lot more viewers just like how last week's bad rating FA Cup game gifted Lets Dance lots of viewers.

Is that a bad thing? Not that I WANT BBC One to fail, just love SNT! :D Of course, Let's Dance can still attract the viewers against SNT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looking at that competition back in 2009:
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway - 2009 Ratings
    14/02 - 7.33m (31.7%) vs In It to Win It, Casualty
    21/02 - 6.39m (27.4%) vs Let's Dance, Lottery Draws, Casualty
    28/02 - 5.81m (25.4%) vs Let's Dance, Lottery Draws, Casualty
    07/03 - 6.53m (27.8%) vs Let's Dance, Lottery Draws, Casualty
    14/03 - 5.17m (22.7%) vs Let's Dance, Lottery Draws, Casualty
    21/03 - 6.03m (26.8%) vs Total Wipeout, Lottery Draws, Casualty
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that a bad thing? Not that I WANT BBC One to fail, just love SNT! :D

35 Days.

35 Days till Ant & Dec are being hammered by BBC1 again.

Silence must fall when the question is asked. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC is not a commercial organisation. It is not their job to launch a full scale attack on ITV. The BBC's best way to secure sports content in the future is to demonstrate the committment they can give to the genre and screening all of the Six Nations on BBC1 regardless of ratings is one way they can do that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    35 Days.

Possibly not on overnights. But maybe on consolidated.
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree it should be on BBC2, though I suspect they'll commit to keeping it on BBC1 as they seem to be selling BBC1 as the home of the Six Nations, rather than BBC Sport. Frankly though it was always going to be a dead rubber - nobody expected Scotland to be in contention, while if France were they'd have probably won it as a result of other matches by then really.

Actually thanks to France dismal performance this season it's arguably now not quite so dead a rubber - it's probably the wooden spoon decider. I don't understand though why they can't wait until after this third weekend of games to decide the order of games on the final day - still gives them three weeks notice, as much as any FA Cup game, and the games will still happen on that day, so rearranging kick-off times isn't too much of a logistical nightmare. England v Wales now looks to be the Championship decider, though at half time during the Wales v Ireland game on Day 1 I never thought that would be the case.
    Someone mentioned on the SNT thread about Sam & Mark doing a SNT-type show on BBC One. They already happen to do one (which is aimed at younger viewers) on the CBBC Channel.
    Both Sam and Mark and Dick and Dom have shown it's not that easy to make the switch to grown up tele, though as discussed many times the numerous bridges to make that switch (like Saturday morning TV (which they've both done) and things like guest hosting TOTP) aren't there any more, making it even tougher. Sadly I suspect nowadays the best avenue for a childrens TV presenter to get a foot in the door of grown up TV is to sign up to a guest stint on some reality show.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    Wondered if bbc one would ever consider going in a complete different direction from itv and put politics into primetime. But use celebrity to make it more accesiable to youngsters. The fact that so many people vote for sunging competitions but dont actually vote is a shame. I guess the ten o clock show hasn't really worked for channel four but would there ever be a place for a more youthful question time on bbc one at 6.30 or 7. Where under 25's got to debate or even vote live on something about how they felt about unemployment etc. It would be edgy and away from what itv are doing completely. I think it would also gain support from politicians who want ypung voters and pop stars willing to appear on the show. Surely it couldn't rate any worse than animal antics! And be better for the kids than the horsemeat fast food of saturday night takeaway. Just awful

Id rather see the beeb stick the 22million that the voice cost into a show that maybe shows how they got really unmotivated unemployed youngsters and got celebs in to turn around some of their lives and follow that journey rather than a pale imitation of the x factor. The commercial channels can pay for that type of show. I think it would be nice to see the bbc do something a little bit more current and different to it rivals.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Evans or Morgan? Was forced to listen to Evans in the dentists yesterday. I was glad when the drilling started.
    :D

My dentist is better. He has BBC One in the waiting room. ;)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Wondered if bbc one would ever consider going in a complete different direction from itv and put politics into primetime. But use celebrity to make it more accesiable to youngsters. The fact that so many people vote for sunging competitions but dont actually vote is a shame. I guess the ten o clock show hasn't really worked for channel four but would there ever be a place for a more youthful question time on bbc one at 6.30 or 7. Where under 25's got to debate or even vote live on something about how they felt about unemployment etc. It would be edgy and away from what itv are doing completely. I think it would also gain support from politicians who want ypung voters and pop stars willing to appear on the show. Surely it couldn't rate any worse than animal antics! And be better for the kids than the horsemeat fast food of saturday night takeaway. Just awful!
    There is a German political format from Stefan Raab which launched last year which a broadcaster here could pick up:
    Absolute Majority

Get ready for a whole new approach to the political talk show: a format where having an opinion could win you some serious cash!

Every week a guest panel made up of four well-known political figures and one opinionated member of the public gathers to debate the most pressing social issues. In real time, the studio audience and the public at home votes for the person they found the most convincing.

In the first two rounds of this fascinating and innovative live show, the person with the least votes is out. Then in the final round the three remaining panelists tackle the week’s biggest subject. Now the goal is not only to win, but to win the absolute majority – as only by gaining more than 50% of the vote can a debater take home the cash prize! If not the pot jackpots to the next week.

Politics meets game show in this new genre-bending format.
    Theres a video on this page but you need to register to watch it: http://www.c21media.net/screenings/banijayinternational/absolute-majority
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,633
    Forum Member
    This is kinda what im getting at samuel! Something that looks populist but actually has a lot more behind it. So many kids vote for the x factor and have massive amounts of opinions and debates and arguments about the people what they stand for. That surely could be converted into a more worthwhile and less commercial format. Maybe even cowell would help set it up I dunno if he should run it though he was very keen when kirsty wark interviewed him on newsnight to produce something on politics and this week dermot o leary has also mentioned his love of the subject and how he enjoyed presenting young peoples question time. Ill look at the german version why is bbc one not trying something like that rather than britians brighest etc. It seems odd they would spend millions on a commercial venture like the voice but not want to create their own new formula. Perhaps politics will not be popular enough
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Those were very different days.........:eek: Very different and the BBC lost the 'MOTD' rights when it happened. Later on they held both but that was when the BBC was enjoying one of the biggest licence fee increases in their history and had no F1!
    BT is a game changer and I suspect the bidding will be well out of the BBC's league.
    The only way I can envisage the FA Cup on BBC TV is if a pay channel buys up the entire competition, and the BBC get to show just one match: a simulcast of the final.

But even that is extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    35 Days.

Silence must fall when the question is asked. :D

'Hammered' sounds unrealistically optimistic if DW's more recent overnight performance is anything to go by.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MinxyRach7 wrote: »
    Would have preferred to see them try something new/different. :o
    I've been hoping that for years, but I think Ant and Dec like their comfort blankets.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been hoping that for years, but I think Ant and Dec like their comfort blankets.

To be fair; when they've tried something different it hasn't really paid off...though I think Poker Face was a great format and deserved to do be recommissioned, even if the prize fund was cut to make it more affordable.
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »

Both Sam and Mark and Dick and Dom have shown it's not that easy to make the switch to grown up tele, though as discussed many times the numerous bridges to make that switch (like Saturday morning TV (which they've both done) and things like guest hosting TOTP) aren't there any more, making it even tougher. Sadly I suspect nowadays the best avenue for a childrens TV presenter to get a foot in the door of grown up TV is to sign up to a guest stint on some reality show.

Sam and Mark actually have done pretty well as presenters, I think it would help if they got a show like Xtra Factor, BGMT or a daytime gameshow to help them jump from CBBC. Holly and Fearne both made the successful transition so it is possible.

Going a bit off topic, Given the success of The Big Bang Theory, its surprising that none of the lead with maybe the exception of Kaley Cuoco has done any films, Jim Parsons has been doing theatre but considering the likes of Jason Segel, Cobie Smulders and Melissa McCarthy have done films all while doing their shows, I would thought the main cast would do films in their downtime.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

EDIT; Oh I see it Lightfields not got a great preview in the Guardian.

Got an absolute slating in The Times too. In short, an utterly pointless remake a year on of a not very good in the first place drama. Begging the question of why?

Viewers too may think "why bother watching the drama we watched a year ago remade with new cast in a new house"?
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    still dont know the difference between watched live and figures included in overnights.

Well let me help you then.

Live viewing is people who watch a show as it goes out.

Overnights measure live viewers plus those who made a conscious decision to record that very same transmission and watch a recording of it the same night before 2am.

It's not rocket science, and the bit in bold is crucial.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From David Chater's Lightfields preview in The Times:

"A couple of years ago ITV broadcast the clunking, cliche-ridden and thoroughly unscary Marchlands...Now it has risen from the dead in a different incarnation. The basic idea remains...Something bad happens in the past and from that moment on everything goes bump in the night. Doors creak open, lights fuse, mirrors crack, voices whisper, eyes widen.... What is truly terrifying is why anyone wanted to revisit this hokum"

Well, it don't get more damning than that!

The ratings will be fascinating.... ;)
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got an absolute slating in The Times too. In short, an utterly pointless remake a year on of a not very good in the first place drama. Begging the question of why?

Viewers too may think "why bother watching the drama we watched a year ago remade with new cast in a new house"?

Well let me help you then.

Live viewing is people who watch a show as it goes out.

Overnights measure live viewers plus those who made a conscious decision to record that very same transmission and watch a recording of it the same night before 2am.

It's not rocket science, and the bit in bold is crucial.

Secret of Crickley Hall will be a very hard act to follow when it comes to TV ghost stories!
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Thursday 21st February 2013
    Soap clash

Time	BBC1    (BBC1)  ITV     (ITV)
    [I]Emmerdale starts at 18:44 	[/I]		
    18:45	5,809	(26.4%)	4,523	(20.6%)
    18:50	5,922	(26.8%)	4,791	(21.7%)
    18:55	5,304	(24.9%)	4,844	(22.8%)
    19:00	4,278	(19.4%)	6,738	(30.5%)
    19:05	4,208	(19.0%)	6,714	(30.3%)
    19:10	4,127	(18.7%)	6,513	(29.5%)
    19:15	4,135	(18.2%)	7,057	(31.0%)
    19:20	4,232	(18.6%)	6,789	(29.8%)
    19:25	4,538	(19.9%)	6,145	(27.0%)
    [I]EastEnders starts at 19:29 	[/I]		
    19:30	4,885	(20.4%)	6,623	(27.7%)
    19:35	5,163	(21.2%)	6,540	(26.9%)
    [I]Emmerdale ends at 19:41 	[/I]		
    19:40	6,398	(27.2%)	3,740	(15.9%)
    19:45	7,159	(30.7%)	2,255	(9.7%)
    19:50	7,185	(30.5%)	2,063	(8.8%)
    [I]EastEnders ends at 19:57[/I] 			
    19:55	5,456	(24.2%)	3,146	(14.0%)

Emmerdale started very slowly and lost to the BBC One regional news, but by getting the jump on EastEnders it pushed the London soap below 5m during the clash. Look at how Emmerdale's audience soars by almost 2m at 19:00, and EastEnders recovers above 7m soon after Emmerdale is finished. Notice also the very poor audience for the football build-up (the kick-off was at 20:05).
    Thankyou:)
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takeaway was brilliant, I didn't enjoy the last couple of series but this was much improved. The reworked Undercovers was fantastic and it seems like they've got some of the old style ones coming up that look really good. Ant vs Dec incorporating the "What Happens Next?" feature was a good idea. The finale was excellent (granted, a bit predictable).

They chose their guests very well for the first show. David Walliams, Ashley Roberts, Robbie Williams and Louis Walsh. Just the four of them, all with a part to play and all "up for it". What a difference to the zelebs piling up on the last series.

Ant & Dec themselves were great as usual. Some of the gags are pretty dire and visible from another galaxy but they always pull it off.

Given previous ratings (remember, ratings in general for Saturday night on ITV1 have fallen since 2009) I think if it can post something comfortably into the 6's then it's a good start. But the show was so strong that there's reason for optimism whatever the number.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's Dance: 5.05m (22.05%)
    Takeaway: 6.46m (28.3%) exc +1

Great start for Ant n Dec. Well, pretty good anyway.
This discussion has been closed.