Options

My loo has regressed to the 1980s

Comments

• Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I bought a 'bloo' tablet on Saturday, popped it in the cistern and now every time it's flushed there is a deep 'royal blue' coloured swirl in the pan. Very gratifying.
    I wonder why these went out of fashion?

OHs nephew was here yesterday and was really fascinated - kept wanting to flush the loo!

Do you use any 'out-dated' products?

Be grateful your loo is stuck in the 1980's. Just recently, it came to light that those 21st century Japanese loos had been hacked! Any passing person could wash your bum unexpectedly with the superloo app!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    We have started using the bloo loos in the hotel loos ( the larger bloo loo ones our supplier started stocking ) , it does look far nicer , it genuinely does help keep things clean and I would use those any day over those horrid little basket things you clip on a loo.

I absolutely agree. I remember being at a guesthouse once and the loo had those clipped-on baskets.... spattered with something... well... shall we call it... 'waste biproduct' coloured :eek:.
    They look dirty and are hard to clean.

Bloo is good because it does freshen the loo at every flush, and the colour is attractive.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a 'bloo' tablet on Saturday, popped it in the cistern and now every time it's flushed there is a deep 'royal blue' coloured swirl in the pan. Very gratifying.

OHs nephew was here yesterday and was really fascinated - kept wanting to flush the loo!

Didn't they go out of fashion because they bugger up modern flush mechanisms?
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Shake'n'vac ;)

Its all you have to do!!!

I found some Shake 'n' Vac in the shed recently, used it on the upstairs carpet.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    I found some Shake 'n' Vac in the shed recently, used it on the upstairs carpet.
    I hope you accompanied your cleaning with the correct song and dance.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing better for cleaning a sink and draining board than Vim powder imo.
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    We have vim under the sink, windolene too.
    francie wrote: »
    Dear me, I remember Vim...is it still on the market?

A 70s kitchen was incomplete without Vim!
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of Rumpole of the Bailey. Rumpole was always moaning about his wife buying pointless things like Vim.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Brillo Pads FTW! :D
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing better for cleaning a sink and draining board than Vim powder imo.

Indeed. I use it to remove grime from the vinyl tiles on the kitchen floor. The new plastic container is disappointing though.
    And we have been using bloo loos since Adam were a lad.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have re discovered the cleaning power of a good cream cleaner recently,sparkles my stove top up a treat!

have never stopped using shake n vac-i love the smell it leaves behind-i do not like the neutradol version,but i do srinkle it inside my bins when i change the bag to leave them smelling fresh.

i use blueloo things, but i use the ones out of poundland-they are massive and last a good month to 6 weeks-they are the same thing as blueloo but they are in a plastic holder that sits inside the cistern and hold about three times as much stuff! and they do a green one which is a nice change sometimes :D
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Didn't they go out of fashion because they bugger up modern flush mechanisms?

I used to use it way back and stopped for the very reason that you quoted, it buggered up flush mechanism. Never again.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try old-fashioned hardware shops or builders merchants. My local one sells ajax, vim, price's household candles, coal-tar soap... all the old classics.

Same here, we've an "agricultural supplies" shop which has pretty much all the old remedies you don't find on the supermarket shelves any more, which has reminded me, I need another bottle of caustic soda for the kitchen and bathroom sinks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try old-fashioned hardware shops or builders merchants. My local one sells ajax, vim, price's household candles, coal-tar soap... all the old classics.

I can't access the systern of the loo in my main bathroom. Its boxed in behind a tiled wall.

But I do have 3 boxes of Price's household candles in the house, just in case a power cut should occur at night. Even though we haven't had one for years.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't access the systern of the loo in my main bathroom. Its boxed in behind a tiled wall.

But I do have 3 boxes of Price's household candles in the house, just in case a power cut should occur at night. Even though we haven't had one for years.

I also have Price's candles for the same reason. We do get power cuts most winters though.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I had one of those when I lived in the flat. Modern loos are so pathetic - the ones where you can't access the cistern and you flush by pushing a button. The flush is so feeble too.

I have a proper old armitage shanks loo now - big tank and a hefty lever flush. It has a proper 'niagra falls' force when flushing too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I also have Price's candles for the same reason. We do get power cuts most winters though.

Haven't had one in years :(. And even then it was only for about 30 minutes.
    They're exciting - getting the candles and oil-lamp out, huddling around the rayburn and listening to Radio 4 on the battery radio!
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love bloo and stupidly bought some when I last saw them. I say stupidly as all 4 loos in this house are boxed in I also can't use ajax or vim as all my toilets, sinks and bath are plastic material and would scratch. That's new modern houses for you!!
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're exciting - getting the candles and oil-lamp out, huddling around the rayburn and listening to Radio 4 on the battery radio!

I used to have a rayburn when I lived on the farm - loved it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had one of those when I lived in the flat. Modern loos are so pathetic - the ones where you can't access the cistern and you flush by pushing a button. The flush is so feeble too.

I have a proper old armitage shanks loo now - big tank and a hefty lever flush. It has a proper 'niagra falls' force when flushing too :)

lucky you. I have to flush all my toilets about 3 times, to get it to get rid of everything.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just got one of these.

I like it, blue, blue, blue
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oh, don't worry. I have an emergency power cut box, all set up ready to go. in it, I have:
    - lots of candles
    - matches
    - batteries
    - radio
    - torches
    - emergency phone charger
  • Options
    BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stardrops!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I forgot all about those! they must have just been phased out my household without me noticing :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I forgot all about those! they must have just been phased out my household without me noticing :p

Yayyy :). Let's have a renaissance.
    Bloo is such a good idea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh, don't worry. I have an emergency power cut box, all set up ready to go. in it, I have:
    - lots of candles
    - matches
    - batteries
    - radio
    - torches
    - emergency phone charger

Same here; I have a Duronic wind-up radio.
    Clockwork radio - what an awesome idea:)