three & 2G backup

2»

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yogimax wrote: »
    Will T-Mobile sites be upgraded as part of MBNL as well? If so, are they on a different schedule?

Yes they will all active masts now either are or will be MBNL. Though I did think all of T-Mobile ones were already done thanks for heads up.
  • bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    Yogimax wrote: »
    Will T-Mobile sites be upgraded as part of MBNL as well? If so, are they on a different schedule?

In NI the tmobile sites were all switched off in April 2012.
    A small number of these about 15-20 sites across NI were brought back on early this year as 2g EE and upgrades to 3G are ongoing
  • YogimaxYogimax Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    bigpete15 wrote: »
    In NI the tmobile sites were all switched off in April 2012.
    A small number of these about 15-20 sites across NI were brought back on early this year as 2g EE and upgrades to 3G are ongoing

Do you have any details about upgrading of sites in the Lisburn area, as I have no Three coverage at home, but when I roam to EE I have a strong signal. Hopefully this site (when upgraded) will give me good Three coverage.
  • halewoodhalewood Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    carguy143 wrote: »
    Still available in Leyland, Eccleston, Preston, Garstang and Cockerham.

I'm in Cockerham regular and always get the 3G from the mast at Forton Services ...
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    The mast info seems a little fragmented.

As i gather

All the Orange 2g masts that three have recently turned off, are these now being upgraded under MBNL to 3G masts that three can make use of?

I wondered if anyone had some facts? However many masts do three have at the moment and how many are they looking to add over 2014? I assume these are all going to come from upgraded orange 2G sites?

All in, it sounds very exciting actually. So i'm curious to learn about the plans. I've been confused as some people say the 2G masts have already mostly been upgraded but others say its still in progress.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Prof-x wrote: »
    The mast info seems a little fragmented.

As i gather

All the Orange 2g masts that three have recently turned off, are these now being upgraded under MBNL to 3G masts that three can make use of?

I wondered if anyone had some facts? However many masts do three have at the moment and how many are they looking to add over 2014? I assume these are all going to come from upgraded orange 2G sites?

All in, it sounds very exciting actually. So i'm curious to learn about the plans. I've been confused as some people say the 2G masts have already mostly been upgraded but others say its still in progress.

The following applies to England, Wales & Scotland. (And NI but not so much).

Basically MBNL was a joint venture between T-Mobile and Three that consolidated over 12,400 masts in 2010 creating the largest 3G network in the UK. All these masts were 3G ready.

When T-Mobile and Orange merged there was a huge amount of Orange masts that were not part of MBNL. A huge amount of these Orange sites were decommissioned (around ~9,000) and the remaining ~6,000 3G orange sites are currently being bought into MBNL and this will be fully complete at the end of 2014. They are being upgraded to be 2G/3G and 4G ready. Three will be able to make use of these masts that are being integrated. EE/T-Mobile can already use these masts. (but the old orange masts are slow anyway so not much use for 3G).

In total there will be over 18,500+ masts once the consolidation is complete.

(numbers may be slightly off, this is just a laymans explanation, it's a lot more in depth)

Again, someone can probably back me up or tell me if i've made a mistake and explain in more detail.
  • Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

Basically MBNL was a joint venture between T-Mobile and Three that consolidated over 12,400 masts in 2010 creating the largest 3G network in the UK. All these masts were 3G ready.

When T-Mobile and Orange merged there was a huge amount of Orange masts that were not part of MBNL. A huge amount of these sites were decommissioned (around ~9,000) and the remaining ~6,000 3G orange sites are currently being bought into MBNL and this will be fully complete at the end of 2014. They are being upgraded to be 2G/3G and 4G ready. Three will be able to make use of these masts that are being integrated. EE/T-Mobile can already use these masts. (but the old orange masts are slow anyway so not much use for 3G).

(numbers may be slightly off, this is just a laymans explanation, it's a lot more in depth)

Awesome! Thanks for spelling it out for me, just what i needed.

That is a significant increase in masts and one would assume the vast majority decommissioned were masts very close to t-mobile masts, meaning all these extra ones should be used to boost capacity and fill in coverage holes.

Very pleased to hear this, glad i switched to three, more and more great things are happening. I assume all of these masts are just going live as and when throughout the remainder of 2013 and 2014.

thanks
    Forum Member
    Prof-x wrote: »
    Awesome! Thanks for spelling it out for me, just what i needed.

That is a significant increase in masts and one would assume the vast majority decommissioned were masts very close to t-mobile masts, meaning all these extra ones should be used to boost capacity and fill in coverage holes.

Very pleased to hear this, glad i switched to three, more and more great things are happening. I assume all of these masts are just going live as and when throughout the remainder of 2013 and 2014.

thanks

Yup, throughout the next year.
  • lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the villages on the A607 just before Melton Mowbray (Leicestershire) 3 still roams onto Orange 2G for about 2/3miles around the Waltham area :-)
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

When T-Mobile and Orange merged there was a huge amount of Orange masts that were not part of MBNL. A huge amount of these Orange sites were decommissioned (around ~9,000) and the remaining ~6,000 3G orange sites are currently being bought into MBNL and this will be fully complete at the end of 2014. They are being upgraded to be 2G/3G and 4G ready. Three will be able to make use of these masts that are being integrated. EE/T-Mobile can already use these masts. (but the old orange masts are slow anyway so not much use for 3G).

Again, someone can probably back me up or tell me if i've made a mistake and explain in more detail.

No, that's a complete load of tosh and you clearly don't know what you're talking about.. Hahahahaha
    Only joking, completely accurate I'd say! Very concise explanation too :)

Bigpete's "most orange masts" is right. But only most.
    Still none been done down here. On the South Hams planning list to be done this year though!
    Five rural Orange masts within 8 miles of me. 2 are EDGE. 3 are GPRS. The rest are 3G but the old legacy "up to 2Mbps" 3G.
    Come on EE!!
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    No, that's a complete load of tosh and you clearly don't know what you're talking about..

Oh...... :cry:
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Only joking, completely accurate I'd say! Very concise explanation too :)

oh..... :D

Thanks haha. I'm not sure if it's most. I've heard it's much closer to half.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully situation in NI finally gets sorted out it's going have to be If Three ever hope to make 98% of uk population of hand I think NI makes up around 3% of uk population still enough that it would make impossible if not sorted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redcoat wrote: »
    NI in terms of a percentage of the population of the UK is small fry - as you say, 3% - but of course this matters if you live in, work or regularly travel to Northern Ireland. Still Orange 2G fall back here for 3 customers though it is voice and text only, no data. Noticed there was no EE 3G or 3 yet in Aughnacloy last week (right on the border on the Derry/Dublin road), only O2 had 3G available.

Worth repeating to EE if they could get their coverage map updated for 3G in Northern Ireland - places that have 3G coverage (through the MBNL T-Mobile network code) for over six months now are still coming back as 2G only! If you look at the EE coverage map on its website on a UK-wide level and look at NI, you'd notice it. Whereas 3 is at worst one month behind coverage improvements appearing on their coverage checker though some results do seem inaccurate in that some places with predicted outdoor coverage doesn't exist, while some fairly large white solid areas actually have good coverage (usual precaution about coverage predictions of course apply).

I hope northern Ireland is sorted for both ee and three even if it only on 4G it would be brilliant if where ever you travelled you had brilliant indoor coverage and hopefully between 10-30MB connection speeds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only O2 have the "coverage obligation" on their 4G licence, which requires 95% indoor population coverage in NI. At present no operator has higher than 94% population 2G outdoor coverage!

If EE & 3 want to have 98% plus population indoor coverage with 4G on 1800MHz only, I'd reckon they would need as a rough estimate about a third to half as many masts again as they already have. The funding for expanding mobile phone coverage in rural areas announced a few weeks ago should help all operators on this.

Hehe we all know it is never going to be just pure 1800MHz anymore. Originally EE may of intended that but I imagine that is certainly not the case anymore. I think as a network that wants to make it's name EE [Three as well actually] they going want get as good a coverage as possible. Agreed the rural area coverage should certainly benefit people I think at moment we are at a point in telecoms we just haven't been at before hope the drive keeps going.
    Forum Member
    Well one regular poster here claims that EE are planning 98% UK coverage on 1800MHz alone. Time will tell on that front.

Is what i have heard as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is what i have heard as well.

I know that has been said quite often I just meant I can't see that EE plans haven't changed since then as when that was originally said they didn't even have 800MHz. I agree with you 800MHz for EE/Three will likely not be on every mast though I expect most rural will. We still got a long way go but can't wait to see how it works out.
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    I know that has been said quite often I just meant I can't see that EE plans haven't changed since then as when that was originally said they didn't even have 800MHz. I agree with you 800MHz for EE/Three will likely not be on every mast though I expect most rural will. We still got a long way go but can't wait to see how it works out.

Agreed :)

(sorry for the short post, i'm tired)