What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    James Craig- Buckingham Palace Blues
  • emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    I've just finished The Storyteller - Jodi Picoult. So well written; I was gripped throughout. Would definitely recommend.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taking a break from reading all 12 of the Dennis Wheatley 'Roger Brook' series,to read 'The Tooth Tattoo' which is the 13th in the 'Peter Diamond' series by Peter Lovesey.
    I have read all the police procedurals and detective novels that have been popular in my life time (and way before!) and I have to say that I find the Diamond series is probably my all time favourite.(Alongside Sherlock Holmes,of course!)
    The overweight,balding,grumpy Superintendant from Bath always keeps me guessing,as well as entertained and amused!
  • SuperSpursSuperSpurs Posts: 2,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading "Ashes" by Ilsa J. Black at the moment. It's pretty good. Young adult but don't let that put you off!

Then I have MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood waiting, can't wait :)
  • ack1990ack1990 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Just finished 'The Perfect Location' by Kate Forster. Perfect if you're looking for something light, I quite enjoyed it.

I'm now attempting to read 'The Time Traveler's Wife' for the 3rd time. I'll see how it goes.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    His Robot Girlfriend by Allison Wesley set in the future when artificial companions or servants can be ordered at great expense. I'm a couple of chapters in and it's turning out to be an interesting read so far.
  • harry*half*pintharry*half*pint Posts: 11,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emj wrote: »
    I've just finished The Storyteller - Jodi Picoult. So well written; I was gripped throughout. Would definitely recommend.

Reading this at the moment. Certainly a lot better than some of her books I've read in the past and seemingly a divergence from her usual plot lines (at the mo anyway ;))
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dominion by C.J. Sansom
  • luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ack1990 wrote: »
    Just finished 'The Perfect Location' by Kate Forster. Perfect if you're looking for something light, I quite enjoyed it.

I'm now attempting to read 'The Time Traveler's Wife' for the 3rd time. I'll see how it goes.

I'm in the middle of that now. Quite enjoying it but I'm finding it a bit too drawn out for my taste - I'd have preferred it to be a little shorter.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Absolutely True Diet Of A Part Time Indian - Alexie Sherman.
  • kate03kate03 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    I've just started that- read first couple of chapters and it's very easy to read :)

also reading Maddadam- the third in Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake trilogy.
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Dominion by C.J. Sansom

Easy read, moonlily? :D:s I've found the first couple of chapters a bit confusing getting my head around the fact that we've been taken over by the Germans and remembering all the political characters at that time. However, it's becoming an ever-increasing and compelling plot and getting better the more you get into it.

What do you both think of it so far?
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Magic - Nora Roberts.

Not impressed by it. It's just a cheesy chick-lit book so I didn't exactly have high expectations anyway, but really disappointed in it.
  • Mumof5Mumof5 Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Mockingjay - third part of the Hunger Games Trilogy.

I've had the first two books sitting on my "to be read pile for quite a while after watching The Hunger Games last year. I went to See Catching Fire when it came out last Friday and have read all three books in the last 10 days as I loved the second film so much.

Got Crippen by John Boyne (he of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas) lined up next.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,985
    Forum Member
    I've just finished "Chart Throb" by Ben Elton and just started "Twilight" by Stephenie Meyer. Not the best written book in the world but it's light. :D Perfect to read of an evening with a cup of tea.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate03 wrote: »
    Easy read, moonlily? :D:s I've found the first couple of chapters a bit confusing getting my head around the fact that we've been taken over by the Germans and remembering all the political characters at that time. However, it's becoming an ever-increasing and compelling plot and getting better the more you get into it.

What do you both think of it so far?

I've only just picked it up really, looks promising. I'll certainly stick with it. :-)
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt and loved it. I galloped through it to see how it turned out, will read something completely different now, and then read it again.

Great story, complex but believable characters, big themes (love, loss, honesty, unintended consequences) but plenty of humour, wonderfully written, great twist at the end, very little predictable in it - fabulous book.

I heartily recommend it and would love to hear what others think.
    Forum Member
    Mark Watson- The Knot
  • KleistKleist Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    I am also reading The Goldfinch, half way through 770 pages and never want it to end.
    There are so many beauties in it, such a richness of character, people will be reading it in 200 years time.
  • BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ice Hunt - James Rollins
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Citizens Simon Schama - don't know anything about the French Revolution but Mr Schamas writing style is so engaging it doesn't matter.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,985
    Forum Member
    Mumof5 wrote: »
    Mockingjay - third part of the Hunger Games Trilogy.

I've had the first two books sitting on my "to be read pile for quite a while after watching The Hunger Games last year. I went to See Catching Fire when it came out last Friday and have read all three books in the last 10 days as I loved the second film so much.

Got Crippen by John Boyne (he of The Boy in the Striped Pajamas) lined up next.

I love series of books (I've moved on to "Philosopher's Stone" from the Harry Potter series since finishing the first "Twilight" book this afternoon). I'll probably buy The Hunger Games at some point. I'll be honest though, the first film didn't really grab me. Maybe it would have done if I had read the books previously. Are the books much better than the films?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dodger's Guide to London ~ Terry Pratchett.
    Forum Member
    Chevy Stevens- Always Watching
  • KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my great shame I have only now decided to read '1984'
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    I'm reading physicist Michio Kaku's Physics of the Future right now. As well as being interesting it's also quite optimistic and that's a refreshing change.