LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously don't like his looks or personality. Once again I ask has anyone seen very early Paxo, Andrew Marr recordings and how 'relaxed' they were ?

I remember very early Paxo, as a reporter in Northern Ireland and on breakfast TV. He was and is a natural. It's not a question of just being 'relaxed', it's so much more than that.

As I said before, it's no big deal and JOB should accept that this particular goal is beyond him because it requires personal qualities that he does not possess. I think it was BurlyBeaR who said that some young presenters these days had the ability to master persuasive communication on TV in a matter of days. I agree, it's a question of natural ability.

Another example: despite years of high level training Gordon Brown was an appalling communicator on TV. He just didn't have it in him. Blair on the other hand took to it like a duck to water.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Watching Sky News tonight and one of the reviewers of the papers was Duncan Barkes. My wife then said she understood why he is on the radio !!

Is that the big guy with glasses that's on now? He doesn't sound like DB, although his name is on the screen!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Not very impressed with Cristo's start, will give him a try later.
  • Fireball XL5Fireball XL5 Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very disappointed with ex-LBC man, Brian Hayes, who tweeted this -

'Newsnight' was safe in the hands of James O'Brien. Sometimes radio people don't look right on television. Mr. O'Brien seemed to belong'.

You need Specsavers, Brian, he didn't look at all right for telly!

Dear me. How someone can destroy their entire credibility in a single tweet. Shame on you, Hayes. An idiotic comment.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    So we move from "whispering" Kay Burley to foghorn windbag Petrie Hosken permanently on Sunday mornings. She either impressed someone over the last couple of weeks, or LBC werejust ddesperate for someone to fill Kays slingbacks while she continually finds something more important than LBC to do.

It will be mixed feelings for Petrie. She'll enjoy the kudos but all that pesky research won't go down well. I don't think she'll get away with flicking through The Express on the bus half an hour before the show starts like she normally does. Still, if ever she's stuck for a comment she can turn the discussion round to:
    1. My time with our boys and girls in Bosnia
    2. "Coppers". I was married to one so I know everything about the law and policing. Ok?
    3. Big brother Britain - my surveillance paranoia (not the TV prog.)
    And finally the killer
    4. Anything you've done, I've done. But better.

I can't wait to be talked down to by this sanctimonious old bag while I'm having my Sunday breakfast from now on. Not. >:(
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    So we move from "whispering" Kay Burley to foghorn windbag Petrie Hosken permanently on Sunday mornings. She either impressed someone over the last couple of weeks, or LBC werejust ddesperate for someone to fill Kays slingbacks while she continually finds something more important than LBC to do.

I can't wait to be talked down to by this sanctimonious old bag while I'm having my Sunday breakfast from now on. Not. >:(

Sanctimonious old bag. Nice. Not!

Morning all. :)
  • sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's with the LBC aac stream this week, constantly offline for ages.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

enjoy it while you can BB, come november its the big SLEEP for you, for 5 months ?:o:D
  • RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I
    With LBC he is at the pinnacle of his career and he should thank his lucky stars for his good fortune. I see him as another Steve Allen in a way - someone who would be unemployable in a similar role anywhere else but has managed to have a comfortable life due to LBC's existence and continued indulgence.

He may prefer politics but he's better at showbiz and general sucking up - so yes he could be more comfortable as a Stewie than as a wannabee Paxo
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    What's with the LBC aac stream this week, constantly offline for ages.

Whenever I have listened online (via RadioPlayer) it has been okay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I have listened online (via RadioPlayer) it has been okay.

I usually record shows via the AAC feed (as you can't always trust the podcasts) and many times this week it hasn't recorded a show.

Ken and David didn't start recording so switched to the mp3 feed and that was ok but lower quality..
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Goldsmith has such a beautiful speaking voice and it's a pleasure to listen to him.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Zac Goldsmith has such a beautiful speaking voice and it's a pleasure to listen to him.

He's quite easy on the eye too. :blush: ;-) :D
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's quite easy on the eye too. :blush: ;-) :D

Very true. He's someone I'd be very happy to see present Newsnight, :D
  • Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    I usually record shows via the AAC feed (as you can't always trust the podcasts) and many times this week it hasn't recorded a show.
    Out of interest, what software you using?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest, what software you using?

have a linux htpc so i can leave it on recording.
    i use mplayer to rip the stream and a program called meter to kill the program after a set time.
    /usr/local/bin/meter 180m  /usr/bin/mplayer -dumpstream  -dumpfile /data/webrecordings/podcasts/`date +%Y-%m-%d`-KenAndDavid-LBC.mp3 -playlist http://media-ice.musicradio.com/LBCUKMP3Low.m3u

• Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Petrie: "they are beheading people and cutting children in half etc etc"

Etc etc?
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Petrie: "they are beheading people and cutting children in half etc etc"

Etc etc?

.....rape and pillage were mentioned. Petrie does like to get entrenched in Middle Eastern affairs. She claimed not knowing much about the topic so she let some shouty, diabolical callers inform her. Dire radio at some points.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Payne hasn't left? John Cushing was on scores today.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Ian Payne hasn't left? John Cushing was on scores today.
    Yes, and he was very good, too, I thought. As far as I know, Ian Payne is just taking a break.
    By the by, Cristo mentioned last night that he had an announcement to make regarding his future at LBC. But then I fell asleep. Did anyone catch this?
    Forum Member
    Yes, and he was very good, too, I thought. As far as I know, Ian Payne is just taking a break.

Oh no, I liked Ian Payne. One of the few unassuming presenters who when covering for other presenters, let callers have their say.
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    Oh no, I liked Ian Payne. One of the few unassuming presenters who let callers have their say.
    Oh yes, definitely. I was just saying that I thought John Cushing did a very good job filling in. Ian Payne is great on 'Scores', and always has good guests. His football knowledge is impressive and (for me) entertaining, but I have to say his general knowledge leaves much to be desired - which I think is partly why when he fills in for presenters on 'regular' shows he tends to 'let callers have their say'!
    Forum Member
    The continuity announcer's am: drams: are getting chilling with the exaggerated "ELLBC" ringing out on my radio. It makes me want to take cover, quite haunting....muahahaha. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    So we move from "whispering" Kay Burley to foghorn windbag Petrie Hosken permanently on Sunday mornings.

Uhm...do you have a problem with women radio phone-in hosts? They've got to where they are despite being part of an incredibly male-dominated and sexist industry. Maybe make a little allowance now and again? Personally, I would like to hear more women fronting their own shows on LBC. Since Emma Barnett left, there is a real dearth of decent female presenters. JHB I find too extreme and hardly a balanced representation of half the population. Petrie is ok most of the time, but I agree she is rather too 'Daily Express-y' and sensationalist a lot of the time. But maybe that's what LBC is aiming for
    now- opinionated, extreme and loud personalities?
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, definitely. I was just saying that I thought John Cushing did a very good job filling in. Ian Payne is great on 'Scores', and always has good guests. His football knowledge is impressive and (for me) entertaining, but I have to say his general knowledge leaves much to be desired - which I think is partly why when he fills in for presenters on 'regular' shows he tends to 'let callers have their say'!

According to the LBC website John Cushing is standing in for Ian Payne (whereas it doesn't say Zac Goldsmith was standing in for David Mellor !).

One the subject of the Saturday morning show, Ken announced that Shelagh Fogarty is on next week. He didn't say if she was co-hosting with anybody, so maybe she is flying solo.
This discussion has been closed.