TV aerial `splitter`?

13»

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anybody reccomend a good quality splitter for for Humax freeesat leads I want to divert one onto another freesat receiver. In other words I currently have 2 into my Humax and want to split one between Humax and the new freesat receiver.

Hope tahts clear thanks.
    As you mention Freesat I'm assuming you are talking leads from a satellite dish.

You cannot split satellite leads in the same way that you can a terrestrial aerial lead. This is because the satellite receiver sends voltage and other control signals back up the lead to the LNB. If you split the lead the voltages and control signals from the two receivers cause problems for the LNB.

If you want to use the TV fully independently of the Humax the only real option is to run another lead from the LNB, assuming it has a spare way.

But doesn't the Humax box have a LNB1 OUT socket? This is effectively a split of the LNB1 IN but isolates the control signals from whatever is attached to it. So it could be used for the TV.

However there is a problem with this. Satellite channels use one of four LNB modes as determined by the control signals from the receiver. So if you use the LNB1 OUT to feed the TV then it can only tune to channels in the same mode as the Humax. And it could be a problem if the Humax switches to a channel using a different mode to the channel you are watching on the telly!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    But doesn't the Humax box have a LNB1 OUT socket? This is effectively a split of the LNB1 IN but isolates the control signals from whatever is attached to it. So it could be used for the TV.

However there is a problem with this. Satellite channels use one of four LNB modes as determined by the control signals from the receiver. So if you use the LNB1 OUT to feed the TV then it can only tune to channels in the same mode as the Humax. And it could be a problem if the Humax switches to a channel using a different mode to the channel you are watching on the telly!

There isn't much point in feeding a TV with a satellite tuner using a Foxsat-hdr lnb1 out terminal. The TV will have more channel choice using the 3rd channel viewing options while recording two anyway, provided directly from the Humax output.

The new G2 boxes don't have the loop out terminal, single cable operation is handled internally and automatically.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,463
    Forum Member
    The new G2 boxes don't have the loop out terminal, single cable operation is handled internally and automatically.

The original boxes only had it because it was a function of the FTA boxes they were developed from, once the boxes were designed from scratch it was dropped.
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    As you mention Freesat I'm assuming you are talking leads from a satellite dish.

It does Chris but I guess your reasoning is correct
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    Buy a Quad LNB and run WF100 cable. Well worth it