People who live as though they are stuck in a timewarp

124»

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love anything 60's and 70's. I'm a proper 'flowers in my hair and nothing on my feet' kind of girl.

I hope you don't work in a drawing-pin factory!:D
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    I know someone who's in a timewarp. He won't replace their ageing CRT with a flat screen (and the TV could do with replacing, you need a pair of binoculars to see it), he's still on dial up internet and his PC runs Windows 98. I don't think Windows 98 is really safe for browsing on these days, plus a lot of modern sites won't work on it. I personally wouldn't use anything older than XP. He doesn't have a mobile and won't do up the house.

If they're happy with a CRT then why would they bother changing it?
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    My mum and stepdad still insist on watching EastEnders and Holby City etc on BBC One SD rather BBC One HD despite their being a 42 inch Plasma TV in the living room and my grandparents still think it is 1961, (when I asked them, just to test them to see if they still know what year it is, they said "1961.").

The EastEnders thing is simply because of habit - when we got HD naturally I thought 101 on Sky HD would be BBC1 HD, but that's not how Sky arranged it so hey-ho.

I'm sure the 1961 comment was made in jest.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    I know. My grandfather never bothered. I always associate the smell of Lifebuoy soap with him.

But when you work in an open plan office it's downright rude to smell so badly you make colleagues gag. Even on a Monday morning. There are times I swear you could chew it. :(

People's gagging reflexes do seem to have become so sensitive in recent decades.

Wonder how these delicate flowers would have coped in earlier historical eras which were infinitely more smelly than today?:confused:
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    The EastEnders thing is simply because of habit - when we got HD naturally I thought 101 on Sky HD would be BBC1 HD, but that's not how Sky arranged it so hey-ho.
    BBC One HD isn't in the 101 position on Sky HD because there aren't yet any regional variations of BBC One HD.
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have several timewarp people around here. 1940's woman with shoulder length hair in big sausage roll curls and hairgrips. 1950's woman with a perm like the queen had when she was young and when she needs a shampoo and set she covers it up with a headscarf. Her clothes are 1950's too and she rides an old bike with a cover on the back wheel to stop her full skirts catching in it. 1960's woman wears mini skirtsand bum freezer jackets with high boots. Her bleached hair is long and back combed.

All 3 ladies are old enough to have worn these clothes in their youth so I suppose they just never kept up with fashion.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Laura P wrote: »
    That doesn't seem timewarpy to me. I don't like the way mobile phones have come to totally dominate society myself. I bet quite a few people would rather not have one if not for the belief system that we must all conform.

I suppose not having one isn't timewarpy but it's mostly his attitude to having any modern technology that is.
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Actually XP is a damn good OS. So good in fact that when MS replaced it with Vista the US market turned that down flat and Dell computers could only sell to the US if they supplied them with XP.

Oh I have no problems with XP. What I was saying is that it's the oldest OS I would use for web browsing and I wouldn't use 2000 or 98. At least a lot of today's sites work with XP.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Millions of sheep are itching their palms to spend billions of pounds on something that does everything that something they already have does. Never underestimate the stupidity of the herd. I'd rather live in the past with 700 quid in my pocket.

This, allied to the power of marketing.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I know a kid whos 9 and. Is practically bought up by his elderly great grandmother and hes like a kid in a time warp. She brings him up like her own children were, playing dominoes and watching old western films, he spent most of his weekends visiting her elderly friends and relatives and has almost no social life with kids his own age. Someone even said hes just like his great grandfather in the way he talks and acts. Quite sad really if you think what the other kids are likely to say about him at school.

Slightly funnier one i know a girl whos 25 and really into web design and photography and is only now considering getting broadband instead of dial up! She spends a lot of time with her parents so doesnt go out with friends her own age, all her friends are her parents friends. Its weird because shes an adult but so dependant on her parents and being home on time that shes like a teenager but enjoys the activities of her pensioner parents.