Options

Mass Effect 3 - (The Discussion Thread with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Roobarb. wrote: »
    Just a word of caution regarding prospective PC purchasers.....Origin is arguably the worst implemented system in living memory.

And i say that as someone who remembers the Steam launch.

After buying the game on physical DVDs and attempting to install it, the game launcher simply refuses to install from the DVDs and proceeds to download all the data from Origin.

I have tried the workarounds posted online and nothing will coax the game to acknowledge i have a disc in the drive.

I really should have known better after similar trouble with BF3but as the physical copy retails at £27 Vs £40 via the Origin store, a physical copy is clearly more tempting.

Except...you can't use it for its intended puropse. i am sat here with an initial DL speed of 5mb a second now dropping to 1.9mb a second.

Shoddy, inept, woeful way to penalise a legitimate paying customer. Pirates of course have none of these issues, just regular law abiding idiots like myself suffer.

Last game i buy from EA.

Work fine on my end and obviously nothing to with disc's or origin if it works for me and 100's of thousands of others. You've obviously done something on your end.

At what point does it stop you installing ? All you do is press install and normally yes I agree blah advanced install or normal and eventually you will see it origin installing and then 80 ish % switch disc installiiiiiing done.
  • Options
    bitebugbitebug Posts: 3,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »
    Depends on you ending. If you do the destroy option and get 5000 EMS (playing MU ) I think it's 7000 without. You get the ending where London is not destroyed in way. You know this as soon as you see the soldiers holding the guns and cheering. Soon after you team end up on the planet then after that you see someone in the rubble in N7 armour and he/she breathes sounding suspiciously like Shepard in me2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_8qLPQrIc 1.22 Mins in.

That's a cliffhanger....(it's too short to be anything else).

Hmm.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Work fine on my end and obviously nothing to with disc's or origin if it works for me and 100's of thousands of others. You've obviously done something on your end.

At what point does it stop you installing ? All you do is press install and normally yes I agree blah advanced install or normal and eventually you will see it origin installing and then 80 ish % switch disc installiiiiiing done.

Respectfully it is a known issue as a search of forums will attest.

In the wonderful world of PC gaming, just because you may not be suffering the issue, doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

A quote from the linked forum thread;
    We are actively investigating the issue with ME3 bypassing installation from disc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Respectfully it is a known issue as a search of forums will attest.

In the wonderful world of PC gaming, just because you may not be suffering the issue, doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist.

A quote from the linked forum thread;

I was not saying the issue does not exist. If origin works for 100's of thousands of people who bought the PC version then obviously the minority who having these problems are having problems on there end and it's not a problem with origin.

Now anyway if you've not played the game then I would advice not posting spoiler thread especially there is massive spoiler above my post. As the game is wonderful and reading the ending before you play the game might put you off it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Then we will simply have to agree to differ on the matter .

I am now 1 hour and 35 mins into the game, i have avoided all spoliers prior to release and will continue to do so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then we will simply have to agree to differ on the matter .

I am now 1 hour and 35 mins into the game, i have avoided all spoliers prior to release and will continue to do so.

I was just saying this is the spoiler thread made so people in this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1516370 did not need to see spoiler tags all over place, and so we can discuss the spoilers openly.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    The 'control the Reapers' ending makes no sense at all. Control the Reapers for what purpose? Their only purpose (if the ending is to be believed) was to harvest a fraction of life and destroy the rest to stop life being destroyed by A.I.

Do they really expect us to believe we are ever going to use the Reapers for that now we have control? Why the hell would anyone activate them to start destroying life and turning people into mindless husks, especially when, by the end of the game, you already proved A.I CAN intigrate with organic life when you resolved the Quarian/ Geth problem!

So it is completely nonsensical that anyone would ever use the Reapers- at least, not in a positive way, so there would be no sane reason for Shepard to consider it an option.

You spend the whole game showing how organics can intigrate with A.I only for it all to get silly and convulted at the end. Suddenly, the game expects you to believe the big scary 2km long ships blasting Earth to hell aren't the real enemy but some future A.I we haven't even made yet are, even though we already proved during the game that A.I can become strong allies.

Hell, it even tells you the only reason the Geth fought you was because the Reapers indoctrinated them!! :D Why anyone would use the Reapers over chancing it with A.I who already proved they can be strong allies- friends even is beyond me. Unless they planned to use the Reapers for some other novel purpose, though it's probably safe to assume that, considering their two main abilities are death rays and mind control- none of those uses would be good :D

So yeah, based on all that, destroying them was the only way to go for me. I didn't spend two games fighting things that wipe out entire civilisations to 'control' them for no good reason I can think of.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    The 'control the Reapers' ending makes no sense at all. Control the Reapers for what purpose? Their only purpose (if the ending is to be believed) was to harvest a fraction of life and destroy the rest to stop life being destroyed by A.I.

Do they really expect us to believe we are ever going to use the Reapers for that now we have control? Why the hell would anyone activate them to start destroying life and turning people into mindless husks, especially when, by the end of the game, you already proved A.I CAN intigrate with organic life when you resolved the Quarian/ Geth problem!

So it is completely nonsensical that anyone would ever use the Reapers- at least, not in a positive way, so there would be no sane reason for Shepard to consider it an option.

You spend the whole game showing how organics can intigrate with A.I only for it all to get silly and convulted at the end. Suddenly, the game expects you to believe the big scary 2km long ships blasting Earth to hell aren't the real enemy but some future A.I we haven't even made yet are, even though we already proved during the game that A.I can become strong allies.

Hell, it even tells you the only reason the Geth fought you was because the Reapers indoctrinated them!! :D Why anyone would use the Reapers over chancing it with A.I who already proved they can be strong allies- friends even is beyond me. Unless they planned to use the Reapers for some other novel purpose, though it's probably safe to assume that, considering their two main abilities are death rays and mind control- none of those uses would be good :D

So yeah, based on all that, destroying them was the only way to go for me. I didn't spend two games fighting things that wipe out entire civilisations to 'control' them for no good reason I can think of.

From that however Destroy and Control are both flawed because Destroy also destroyed all the synthetic life like the Geth and EDI and yourself (unless you got a survival scene) etc.

From that you can say synthesis was the only ending of uniting both together into a new order, ending the cycles and destruction.

Star Child gave you the two choices but then said - there was also a 3rd. He said his solution would no longer work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    late8 wrote: »
    From that however Destroy and Control are both flawed because Destroy also destroyed all the synthetic life like the Geth and EDI and yourself (unless you got a survival scene) etc.

From that you can say synthesis was the only ending of uniting both together into a new order, ending the cycles and destruction.

Star Child gave you the two choices but then said - there was also a 3rd. He said his solution would no longer work.

Well if you choose destroy and your forces were strong enough you should always get that scene. Control is the only ending that offers no benefits whatsoever.

At least if you destroy, it seems you may live and the Reapers are finally destroyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well if you choose destroy and your forces were strong enough you should always get that scene. Control is the only ending that offers no benefits whatsoever.

At least if you destroy, it seems you may live and the Reapers are finally destroyed.

Do you know what strength do you need?

I did all I could in the game and got a TMS of 6600 something with the effective half that at 3000 something.

Didn't get Salarian forces apart from STG for 70 points and couldn't understand why there wasn't more.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I did all I could in the game and got a TMS of 6600 something with the effective half that at 3000 something.

Didn't get Salarian forces apart from STG for 70 points and couldn't understand why there wasn't more.

I've been reading contradicting reports. Basically you've got half because you've not played the MU (another stupid decision) so to get the best destroy ending ending you would need either 4-5000 MU ( I had 5200) you would need 10000 EMS or 8000EMS without MU. Depending on what figures are correct.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member

Mine was 6700 but I played multiplayer so I got all of it.

I heard you need 5000 effective strength to get the supposed 'good' ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been reading contradicting reports. Basically you've got half because you've not played the MU (another stupid decision) so to get the best destroy ending ending you would need either 4-5000 MU ( I had 5200) you would need 10000 EMS or 8000EMS without MU. Depending on what figures are correct.

MU ? Whats that? Also - I couldn't find Diana Vickers either- don't know how much that's worth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikey86uk wrote: »

Hope Bioware realise its not Shepard dying but all the confusing mess after the final act thats got people.

They could just easily do a.... Got to light lift OK- Went to citadel- destroyed the reapers - the end. But that's not exactly memorable or original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MU ? Whats that? Also - I couldn't find Diana Vickers either- don't know how much that's worth.

6600 is plenty, you just need to play multiplayer to get your effective strength up. In case you don't know- your "galactic readiness" rating is based on multiplayer. It starts at 50%, meaning you only get 50% of your military assets.

Every time you beat a level on multiplayer, it goes up by a few percent each time. When it gets to 100%, you will get 100% of your military assets. Since you have 6600, 50% would leave you with 3300, so you'll need to do a few maps to increase it or you can't get the good ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    6600 is plenty, you just need to play multiplayer to get your effective strength up. In case you don't know- your "galactic readiness" rating is based on multiplayer. It starts at 50%, meaning you only get 50% of your military assets.

Every time you beat a level on multiplayer, it goes up by a few percent each time. When it gets to 100%, you will get 100% of your military assets. Since you have 6600, 50% would leave you will 3300, so you'll need to do a few maps to increase it or you can't get the good ending.

aHHHH.

What a load of crap! - I unsubscribed to live. Guess I will have to blow a load more money just for the video.

Mind you I really dont think its Shepard surviving anyway.

If you need Multilayer to get this "survival video" or a really high score - its obviously a hint at the NEW character.
    Could even be your Multilayer Character ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

If they wanted Shep to survive it would be in each ending outcome.
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the control ending is defnitely the 'good' ending even though Sheherd is Borged up(assimilated). It's the only one where everyone other than Shepherd can continue on 'as normal' all be it without Mass Relays...there is also the possibility Shepherd could use the reapers to rebuild the relays or something similar to help his friends get home.

All of the options available are quite weak but Synthesis is by far the weakest(cop out). There's no way I could allow EDI to die and choosing either Synt./Dest. would have made Legions self sacrifice pointless.
  • Options
    lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone explain why having low war assets would make the cucible destroy Earth? It make no sence story wise.

I would have understanded low War assest would make the final assault fail, but not that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I think the control ending is defnitely the 'good' ending even though Sheherd is Borged up(assimilated). It's the only one where everyone other than Shepherd can continue on 'as normal' all be it without Mass Relays...there is also the possibility Shepherd could use the reapers to rebuild the relays or something similar to help his friends get home.

All of the options available are quite weak but Synthesis is by far the weakest(cop out). There's no way I could allow EDI to die and choosing either Synt./Dest. would have made Legions self sacrifice pointless.

On that ending the Citadel doesn't blow up but closes up too.- something in that.

EDI doesn't die on synthesis. Destruction is the only one to wipe out all synthetic life.
  • Options
    Forum Member

typo sorry. MP (multiplayer)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can anyone explain why having low war assets would make the cucible destroy Earth? It make no sence story wise.

I would have understanded low War assest would make the final assault fail, but not that.

Yeah, I already pointed that out. It made no sense at all. Low war assets should have meant the assault on Earth and the battle above it failed or had more casualties, not just the wave blowing up Earth. Yet another stupid plot point they tacked onto the end.

I seriously think they ran out of time and quickly put 3 or 4 endings together that where pretty much the exact same thing to save time, then they had to quickly work a story around why all three endings would be pretty much the same!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I already pointed that out. It made no sense at all. Low war assets should have meant the assault on Earth and the battle above it failed or had more casualties, not just the wave blowing up Earth. Yet another stupid plot point they tacked onto the end.

I seriously think they ran out of time and quickly put 3 or 4 endings together that where pretty much the exact same thing to save time, then they had to quickly work a story around why all three endings would be pretty much the same!

I really hope that isn't true. The game was delayed till March if i remember. There's a lot of crap to sort out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

With the endings, the quick photoshop job of Tali's face and other sloppy bits I think it is more than likely they did run out of time.
    I want to replay but knowing how it ends puts me off so much. Until the end I was blown away by the game.