Dallas: New Series Starts Wednesday 5 September 9 pm

Comments

• Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol my mum and dad are really excited about this, i dont even know what it is :/ but apperently it was a big show back in whenever lol

More than just a big show, it is one of the definitive TV shows of all time. It changed the way American's made TV drama. Episodic and season cliffhangers? The grand daddy of those was Dallas, the most famous being "Who Shot JR?" and "Bobby in the Shower" but there were plenty of others. Who shot JR however became a seminal moment in pop culture that ranks alongside Star Wars for its impact. The outcome of the story was even debated on the BBC News.

Its main characters JR and Sue Ellen were practically carbon copied in the UK by EastEnders in the form of Den and Angie.

Most successful US show ever shown on British TV, at its peak it had 23 million viewers in the UK and for most of its run averaged around 16 million.

Go here and learn more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7hV0LM1I-8
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get ready guys and girls. It's brilliant!
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm definitely going to give it a try to see what it is like, its only 10 episodes after all.
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We now know that Dallas launches on Channel Five at 9 pm on Wednesday 5 September (with a Friday repeat at 8 pm).

Preceded next Wednesday by a two part behind the scenes special presented by John Barrowman looking at the return of this cult show.

10 episodes in series 1 and already renewed for a series 2 of 15 episodes.

Who will be watching or not? Interested to discover if you saw the show in the 80s and are excited by the return or just curious to see what the fuss is/was about.Or bored by all the PR and hype already. :)

Anyone know when TV3 are showing it in Ireland. Many people are not able to get Channel 5 over here. Luckily, I am one of those that can.
  • ToadieTheLawmanToadieTheLawman Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think fans of the original series won't be disappointed.

I hope so.:D
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the new series with apprehension, not because of the older characters but because of the new.
    Looking at the brief preview clips I was struck between the disparity between the old and new.
    The older actors like JR, Pam etc all were distinctive characters. I find with a lot of the younger actors they appear just an homogenous mass .
  • PuddleduckPuddleduck Posts: 1,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching the original on CBS Drama, so really looking forward to the 2012 version.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,544
    Forum Member
    loved dallas in the 80's looking forward to this hope it's as good as the original
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the new series with apprehension, not because of the older characters but because of the new.
    Looking at the brief preview clips I was struck between the disparity between the old and new.
    The older actors like JR, Pam etc all were distinctive characters. I find with a lot of the younger actors they appear just an homogenous mass .

I see your point. However I've seen the new show and Josh Henderson as John Ross really stands out. You can tell he's loving every minute of screen time with JR.

I can see the show revolving heavily around John Ross in the future, the writers have said as much.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see Steve Kanaly (Ray Krebbs) and Ken Kercheval (Cliff Barnes) are also popping in!
  • PaulRobinsonFanPaulRobinsonFan Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like none is..
  • HamptonHampton Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    I can't wait.....I loved the glamour, the clothes, jewellery, houses and seeing how the other half live.
  • pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    Ill give it a go.
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really worth a look and it's not just Sue Ellen who is back, Bobby and JR are as well and Cliff Barnes even turns up. It's really good.
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to compare it to the original which I watched faithfully until it's rather bizzare ending (with the devil appearing before JR). Just noticed that some people say they have already seen it. Has it been shown already in the USA?
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    Right here goes

I was a massive Dallas fan in the 80s , but imo, that is where it should stay, it cant i wont be the same, , its a bit like the new Sweeney movie, it wont be a patch on the original, this was also debated on another forum , and one post said Dallas should be like the Rubik Cube in the 80s , and thats where it should stay ,
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah its just finished in the States, yes its gotta be different with a lot of new cast members but I felt it worked really well and looked forward to it every week.

Just as long as people remember its Dallas and not Boardwalk Empire or Homeland.

When the Title scenes and the Theme Music kick in it really does bring you back, anyone who enjoyed it in the 80's will not be dissappointed.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    Right here goes

I was a massive Dallas fan in the 80s , but imo, that is where it should stay, it cant i wont be the same, , its a bit like the new Sweeney movie, it wont be a patch on the original, this was also debated on another forum , and one post said Dallas should be like the Rubik Cube in the 80s , and thats where it should stay ,

Have to say, those were my thoughts/worries exactly - before I saw it but was really surprised when I saw it.

Particularly the first and second season of the origonal were pretty ropey but throughout the whole run there was a fair bit of dodgey acting - some of that continues in this new version (in my opinion) but I feel that is nearly expected (young Mr Metcalf may struggle to get an Oscar nom) but hey! its Dallas :D

Its better that its not a remake but a pickup 20 odd years later and for me exceeded my expectations a lot (again I feel I should say we're talking about Dallas here). JR is still JR and that is all credit to Larry Hagman at his age. :)

Really looking forward to the second series
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Right here goes

But how can you tell without watching it? We can all stick our heads in the sand and say that something will never be something else, but until we do something we can never tell and just make assumptions.

If you don't want to chance it, fine. Don't watch it and your memorise will be intact, but why blanket ban it for everyone else?

I fully understand that going back to something rarely works and the odds are stacked against it, but that just make something improbable, not impossible.

This is the exception to the rule: It worked and it worked extremely well. Give it a go and find out if you were right. Fortunately you will find you were wrong and are in for a delight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right here goes

Would you want it to be like the original though? Especially as in the latter series the show went from being one of the best written and acted shows on TV to one of the worst?

The new series is the Ewing story brought to life for a 2012 audience. Its stayed faithful to the continuity of the original but is a thoroughly 2012 drama.

I really enjoyed it and I showed the series to my folks who were massive fans in the day and they've loved every minute of it too, they aren't the sort who usually watch soaps either. Neither am I tbh.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, In my view they have approached this in just the right way. Kept the parts of the old that were indispensible and brought in the next generation to attract a younger audience. But a next generation that the viewers of the original will know as John Ross and Christopher Ewing were integral to many of the plots and we were left with them as pre teens and always wondering how they would grow up.

Indeed, in a way we will know things based on past episodes that might crop up in future based on plot points from earlier series. That adds an almost Lost like geeky element.

It has not set the world alight in US ratings but was high enough to earn an increased order for series 2 and might well grow now that word of mouth has been so positive,

They seem to be hoping it will work in the UK as well to push a global market spread (as the UK's adoption of the original show in 1980 was what made Dallas go global the cast say). Explains why they pulled out all the stops last week and flew almost all the cast over here for a PR blitz.

The only sad part is that Five is not going to create the buzz that the show being on the BBC would have done.

But, hey, if the BBC learn from it that a next generation continuation of a popular show from the 70s and 80s works and we now get a revival of The Onedin Line from the beeb done in the same way I will be happy.

The cast of Dallas have said that in future virtually anyone who was in Dallas in the past and is still living could come back in future series. That was nice to hear.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, In my view they have approached this in just the right way. Kept the parts of the old that were indispensible and brought in the next generation to attract a younger audience. But a next generation that the viewers of the original will know as John Ross and Christopher Ewing were integral to many of the plots and we were left with them as pre teens and always wondering how they would grow up.

Indeed, in a way we will know things based on past episodes that might crop up in future based on plot points from earlier series. That adds an almost Lost like geeky element.

It has not set the world alight in US ratings but was high enough to earn an increased order for series 2 and might well grow now that word of mouth has been so positive,

They seem to be hoping it will work in the UK as well to push a global market spread (as the UK's adoption of the original show in 1980 was what made Dallas go global the cast say). Explains why they pulled out all the stops last week and flew almost all the cast over here for a PR blitz.

The only sad part is that Five is not going to create the buzz that the show being on the BBC would have done.

But, hey, if the BBC learn from it that a next generation continuation of a popular show from the 70s and 80s works and we now get a revival of The Onedin Line from the beeb done in the same way I will be happy.

The cast of Dallas have said that in future virtually anyone who was in Dallas in the past and is still living could come back in future series. That was nice to hear.

I hate dramas aimed at a specific audience. The really successful dramas have a mass appeal and appeal to all generations, why, because they are well written, scripted, directed and acted.
    The original Dallas appealed to all ages as did Dynasty, Kojak etc
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the original series from day one, and was initially fairly skeptical when I first heard they were making a new series. Once I heard some of the original cast were included, I got a little bit intrigued. Now that I've heard that it's done well and a second season has been greenlit, I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. Just a pity it's on C5 where adverts will plague it.
  • Soaps Addict!!Soaps Addict!! Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never watched the original series but heard lots of good things about it and read about the history of the characters and storylines that happened in the original series and judging by the adverts for the new series and some of the new castings I am really looking forward to watching it on C5 so I'll defo be tuning in! :D