Options

Syrian shells hit Turkey, Turkey respond

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
Forum Member
✭✭
So it seems things are kicking off on the border between Syria and Turkey this evening. Here's the BBC report on the attack on Turkey: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19822253
Turkey has contacted the UN and Nato after Syrian shells killed five people in a Turkish town near the border between the two countries.

The shells exploded after being fired into Akcakale from Tall al-Abyad in Syria, where forces loyal to President Bashar al-Assad are trying to put down an 18-month-old insurgency.

The dead are said to include a woman and her three children.

Later, reports said Turkey had struck back at Syrian targets

And now reports suggest that Turkey have fired back and are sending tanks etc. to the border.

Any chance of this escalating further? This is certainly far sooner than the Americans (particularly Obama) would like, given the election is within months.

Comments

• Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmm it's not that Syria are at war with Turkey - it seems that it's stray gunfire etc. BUT it could definately escalate though reading that doesn't seem like NATO are that prepared to get involved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said a world war is coming , the days of prosperity are over for everybody
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmmm it's not that Syria are at war with Turkey - it seems that it's stray gunfire etc. BUT it could definately escalate though reading that doesn't seem like NATO are that prepared to get involved.
    If Syria doesn't respond to the retaliation then it should die down again. Failing that it will only escalate. And an attack on a NATO country is considered an attack on NATO as a whole, so that brings everyone in. Anyway, NATO have now called an urgent meeting to discuss what's happening.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look to be a good situation right now but hopefully it will not result in anything worse than what's happened.
  • Options
    JunipertJunipert Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem to be escalating as well as into Lebanon.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doom on! Woohoo!
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said a world war is coming ,.....

I doubt that tbh.
  • Options
    steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Turks keep violating Syrian airspace. What do they expect? Turkey's record on "human rights" is far from admirable so why are they so concerned about Syria?
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I hope some restraint is shown but im not sure it will be, fingers crossed it dies down and people stay safe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I doubt that tbh.

We have had one of the longest periods of prosperity and uplift in living standards since WW2. History moves in cycles. It is inevitable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve781 wrote: »
    The Turks keep violating Syrian airspace. What do they expect? Turkey's record on "human rights" is far from admirable so why are they so concerned about Syria?

Erm...the thousands of refugees pouring in.n ot to mention that a leader of a country that is happy to bomb it's own citizens.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have had one of the longest periods of prosperity and uplift in living standards since WW2. History moves in cycles. It is inevitable.

Whilst there may be some correlation with times of economic crisis and global conflict, there is nothing inevitable about it. IMO.

When's World War 3 starting then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    I hope some restraint is shown but im not sure it will be, fingers crossed it dies down and people stay safe.

My thoughts too.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France has already surrendered, just in case
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, the civil war has enough conflict to keep both sides busy. Surprising that the government would want to complicate matters further. Or that this shows how much they resent their harbouring of Syrian refugees.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Syria's leader is power hungry? Hmm...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    The thing is, the civil war has enough conflict to keep both sides busy. Surprising that the government would want to complicate matters further. Or that this shows how much they resent their harbouring of Syrian refugees.

I don't think it is that but more Assad seems determined to stay in power at any cost. Also some of that mortar fire that landed in Turkey was aimed at the Syrian fighters in Syria.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Casual wrote: »
    France has already surrendered, just in case

:D:D:D
  • Options
    WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One more reason for Turkey not to be allowed to join the EU.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    plastik2k9 wrote: »
    So it seems things are kicking off on the border between Syria and Turkey this evening. Here's the BBC report on the attack on Turkey: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19822253

And now reports suggest that Turkey have fired back and are sending tanks etc. to the border.

Any chance of this escalating further? This is certainly far sooner than the Americans (particularly Obama) would like, given the election is within months.

I wondered how long it would be before this happened.

Could easily escalate. Hopefully Syria will now make every effort to ensure that nothing of theirs lands over the border.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's a Gadaffi-style screwball nutcase, he'll respond.

If he's a sane, calculating psychopath he'll casually cast the spat aside and focus on the rebels.

I'd wager the latter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    WhiteFang wrote: »
    One more reason for Turkey not to be allowed to join the EU.

Because they retaliated?.

I think there are other reasons to be fair, such as them having to improve their Human rights record and finding an acceptable settlement for their Kurdish "problem".
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if I was a leader of a country and a neighbouring country that was at war with itself lobbed a bomb at one of my towns killing my citizens then yes I'd be p*ssed. Turkey has every right to respond in any matter it sees fit and if that escalates the situation then fair enough, and if that means the UK's and the US' plans for installing a puppet into Syria goes belly up, tough cacka. Turkey has a duty to protect it's citizens
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he's a Gadaffi-style screwball nutcase, he'll respond.

If he's a sane, calculating psychopath he'll casually cast the spat aside and focus on the rebels.

I'd wager the latter.
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Well if I was a leader of a country and a neighbouring country that was at war with itself lobbed a bomb at one of my towns killing my citizens then yes I'd be p*ssed. Turkey has every right to respond in any matter it sees fit and if that escalates the situation then fair enough, and if that means the UK's and the US' plans for installing a puppet into Syria goes belly up, tough cacka. Turkey has a duty to protect it's citizens

Wow. If western armies go to a country it's wrong. If they don't it's wrong because they should. If they don't and someone thinks their governments are pulling strings that's wrong too. Viva the Chinese and Russians selling arms to the regime though. That's all good.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. If western armies go to a country it's wrong. If they don't it's wrong because they should. If they don't and someone thinks their governments are pulling strings that's wrong too. Viva the Chinese and Russians selling arms to the regime though. That's all good.

Stopping genocide is a good thing, removing a head of state or a country's leader because he doesn't toe the Wests line, then it's a bad thing.

The only people hoping this genocide does drag out is the arms dealers and the US/UK, China/Russia who are all profiting from it.