Options

Fawlty Towers, BBC2, 19.00

Comments

• Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This could be repeated forever, i would still watch it and also own the dvd's.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny that just the other day, I thought of the "my fault" bit, when I had a row with my sister, to whom I was pointing out that various things she had done had made my life difficult - yes, it was apparently all my own doing!

I suspect the Thought Police would be round these days about portraying Irish as bad builders and Stubbs would probably be Polish.
    LOL.....just wait until "The Germans" episode!

Wonderful memories of when life and living in this country was normal!
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    he did David Kelly, who was only in his mid 40s at the time but always seemed to be about 60something.

Also in Waking Ned one of my favourite films, my favourite episode of Fawlty Towers tonight love the show:D
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

You wouldn't get a show like this now. I can remember some PC fascist complaining to Points of View in the mid nineties when The Germans was repeated that the show should be banned for being racist.
    Thing was, Fawlty was shown up for being an incompetent idiot and upsetting his guests, who had no time for Hitler or the war.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    'If the Good Lord...'
    '..is mentioned once more I shall move you closer to him!' :D

Haha love that line :D You can't beat Fawlty Towers! I'm so glad the BBC are repeating it. I'll have to buy the DVDs sometime.

I hope they're repeating all the episodes every Sunday - one of my favourite episodes is when the woman who is deaf comes to stay.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    You wouldn't get a show like this now. I can remember some PC fascist complaining to Points of View in the mid nineties when The Germans was repeated that the show should be banned for being racist.
    Thing was, Fawlty was shown up for being an incompetent idiot and upsetting his guests, who had no time for Hitler or the war.

Possible that would be because of the bit when the Major was talking about taking a lady to see the West Indies at Lords and he used the racist N word and W word.

I wonder if that will be edited when it's shown on BBC2. Anyone know if that bit has been edited by Gold?
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,774
    Forum Member
    My favourite part of 'Waldorf Salad' is when the American says that Fawlty Towers is the worst hotel in England to which Major Gown pipes up 'No, I won't have that!. There's a place in Eastbourne...'.:D
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    My favourite part of 'Waldorf Salad' is when the American says that Fawlty Towers is the worst hotel in England to which Major Gown pipes up 'No, I won't have that!. There's a place in Eastbourne...'.:D

Classic, is there still a war on?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Americans are not known for self deprecating humour and even less so "non pc" humour, but there is an absolute gem out there made during the 70s by none other than Hanna-Barbera.

Yes.......a cartoon called Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. It's never been repeated on television since the 70s, and if you manage to get hold of some episodes you will see why......but have a damn good laugh too. It's hilarious.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    Possible that would be because of the bit when the Major was talking about taking a lady to see the West Indies at Lords and he used the racist N word and W word.

I wonder if that will be edited when it's shown on BBC2. Anyone know if that bit has been edited by Gold?

I bet it will be which is strange, seeing as though the whole thing was shown by the BBC originally. I've always just blank it out when I've watched that episode.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Haha love that line :D You can't beat Fawlty Towers! I'm so glad the BBC are repeating it. I'll have to buy the DVDs sometime.

I hope they're repeating all the episodes every Sunday - one of my favourite episodes is when the woman who is deaf comes to stay.

Yes, that's certainly one of the best episodes, I think. The deaf woman was wonderfully played by actor Joan Sanderson, who also played the part of headmistress in the "Please Sir" TV series.

Sadly, she is no longer with us.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah yes... Communication Problems!

"When I order a room with a sea view, I expect to see the sea."
    "You CAN see the sea; it's over there between he land and the sky."
    "I'd need a telescope to see that."
    "Then may I suggest you go to a hotel closer to the sea! Or preferably in it!"

Or...

"It would help if you turn it on."
    "What?!"
    "TURN... IT.... ON!!!!!"
  • Options
    LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    It may have been 37 years old but tonight's episode still made me laugh out aloud!
    Brilliant stuff!

I've got the box set but still watch it when its on tv
    so funny:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't think so all this pc is mad
    can remember seeing John Cleese being interviewed & he said he was in a German Airport & this huge German guy called out "Hey John don't mention the War" !! great stuff :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Yes, that's certainly one of the best episodes, I think. The deaf woman was wonderfully played by actor Joan Sanderson, who also played the part of headmistress in the "Please Sir" TV series.

Sadly, she is no longer with us.

I start laughing as soon as she walks into reception :D
    She was a wonderful comedy actress - Miss Ewell in Please Sir & the brides mother in a ep of Rising Damp:)
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LYNN(E) wrote: »
    I start laughing as soon as she walks into reception :D
    She was a wonderful comedy actress - Miss Ewell in Please Sir & the brides mother in a ep of Rising Damp:)
    ... and the grandmother in After Henry.
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed watching The Kipper And The Corpse on Sunday.

I'm intrigued by some of the small cuts they seem to have made to the script, though. Anyone know why they cut out Basil's line "Is it your legs?" when the guy asks if he can have breakfast in bed? :confused:
  • Options
    StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    cathrin wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoyed watching The Kipper And The Corpse on Sunday.

I'm intrigued by some of the small cuts they seem to have made to the script, though. Anyone know why they cut out Basil's line "Is it your legs?" when the guy asks if he can have breakfast in bed? :confused:

Pure guess here cathrin ... could it be interpreted today as a sleight on the disabled? ... or is it differently-abled ... Oh Dear ... I'd better get my coat! :eek:
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never get bored of watching them.
  • Options
    Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fawlty towers is such a classic comedy seen episodes a few times and own the boxset but I can still watch then again. Fav is the old lady staying "is this a bit of your brain" lol
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    Pure guess here cathrin ... could it be interpreted today as a sleight on the disabled? ... or is it differently-abled ... Oh Dear ... I'd better get my coat! :eek:

There's too much political correctness/sensitivity these days.
  • Options
    yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Americans are not known for self deprecating humour and even less so "non pc" humour, but there is an absolute gem out there made during the 70s by none other than Hanna-Barbera.

Yes.......a cartoon called Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. It's never been repeated on television since the 70s, and if you manage to get hold of some episodes you will see why......but have a damn good laugh too. It's hilarious.

It was based on All In the Family, itself based on Till Death Do Us Part. I remember it been shown on YTV on Saturday mornings, I found it very funny, though I suspect some of the more adult content may have gone over my head.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

oh please... get a grip.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    There's too much political correctness/sensitivity these days.

You've clearly never heard of a show called Little Britain
  • Options
    scragendscragend Posts: 423
    Forum Member

It wasn't Lord's, and it wasn't the West Indies.

"I knew a woman once. I took her to see India..."
    (Basil looks astonished)
    "...at the Oval!"