Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 44)

Comments

• Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    There's a similar event biannually and even then, there isn't anywhere near as many hours of coverage as there was in the home Olympics.

But, that's fine. Just don't cry "foul" when the stats show a major y-o-y decline for BBC1 in 2013!

K

Why would I cry foul? It's obvious BBC is going to dip next year. :)
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    So are you going to strip out the Rugby World Cup on ITV or the World Cup on BBC and ITV from now on? That seems so silly.

I vote we strip out all the popular stuff on ITV, because really, once you discount Downton, TXF, BGT and Celeb, they're left with a slate of shows getting 1-4m, even drama and massively expensive football rights, so that's a more realistic measure of how the channel is doing once you get rid of these rare blips.....

See how silly this could get? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Daybreak's poor rating must have something to do with it too - 607k (14.7%) yesterday.

:eek: Daybreak just can't seem to get it right.

Should have stuck with Adrian and Christine and the modern set.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I vote we strip out all the popular stuff on ITV, because really, once you discount Downton, TXF, BGT and Celeb, they're left with a slate of shows getting 1-4m, even drama and massively expensive football rights, so that's a more realistic measure of how the channel is doing once you get rid of these rare blips.....

See how silly this could get? :rolleyes:

I do actually agree with your basic point here. What's the point in stripping anything out? Fact of the matter is, these events did air and therefore people did flock to BBC1 for them last year and therefore boosted BBC1's share, because BBC1 had the rights to them and produced and aired the coverage. Same goes for whenever ITV have a Rugby World Cup or any other events people care to mention. The point is they aired and the networks produced the coverage and therefore we shouldn't go stripping anything out because it's pointless.

Sure, BBC1's share will be down next year. But anyone with their head screwed on will know exactly why and therefore won't rush to dramatic conclusions about it.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Media Guardian:

EastEnders 8.4m/34.3%,
    Emmerdale 7.4m/33.2% & 7.2m/29.7%,
    Silent Witness 6.1m/25.1%,
    Waterloo Rd 3.7m/15.3%,
    Star Gazing Live 2.4m/10.1%
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    From Media Guardian:

EastEnders 8.4m/34.3%,
    Silent Witness 6.1m/25.1%,
    Waterloo Rd 3.7m/15.3%,
    Star Gazing Live 2.4m/10.1%

So much for the EE ''ratings crisis'' then ?
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Sure, BBC1's share will be down next year. But anyone with their head screwed on will know exactly why and therefore won't rush to dramatic conclusions about it.
    So, we won't get 20 pages of posts based on the DM headline next year:

"BBC1 suffers largest audience drop in 20 years"

good :D

K
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

I don't think anyone has claimed it's in crisis recently. When it was hovering around 7.5m with Emmerdale close behind just before Christmas it was fair to say there was a problem.
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

God how many more times are people going to say this line on this thread. :D:D
  • Options
    Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    BigBmad wrote: »

Are you referring to the 'Eastenders ratings crisis' ?

:p
  • Options
    BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you referring to the 'Eastenders ratings crisis' ?

:p

or 'so much for the Eastenders rating crisis'
    :D

I really should post here more but read often. Its just the same arguments day after day, year after year :p
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    From Media Guardian:
    7.8m for first Emmerdale in fact.:) Looks like they've excluded HD or something.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    According to my Radio Times, Yesterday+1 (should be Yesterday Once More in my book :D) and Dave Ja Vu are on Sky and Virgin only.
    Not on Freeview, but available on Freesat as well as Sky and Virgin, are ITV3+1, ITV4+1, 5*+1 and 5USA+1.
    Pick TV+1 and Quest+1 are only on Sky.

So proportionality +1s of free channels on pay only, perform much worse than if they're in all homes, even allowing for them only being available in 50% of homes.

e.g. ITV2 reach is 45.6% ITV2+1 18.1%

ITV3's is 27.5% but its non Freeview +1 only reaches 4.3%

ITV4 gets 22.2% but +1 only 2.4%.

Why?

More PVRs in pay homes, so less need for +1s.

Less choice on Freeview so more likely to watch.

BARB panel not representative enough of non-Freeview homes.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    So are you going to strip out the Rugby World Cup on ITV or the World Cup on BBC and ITV from now on? That seems so silly.

More amazing is the striping out of the finals of The Apprentice and The Voice from BBC1's share as they aired on the Jubilee weekend. As I said if you're not able to do the analysis properly, dont do it at all. Utter stupidity:rolleyes:
    KennyT wrote: »
    No, that's an annual event. FWIW, I agree with the point of the analysis. There were two exceptional events during the summer that are not going to happen again for a number of years and there are three ways to look at it,
    K

A British person in the final of Wimbledon is an annual event? Right:rolleyes:
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    More amazing is the striping out of the finals of The Apprentice and The Voice from BBC1's share as they aired on the Jubilee weekend. As I said if you're not able to do the analysis properly, dont do it at all. Utter stupidity:rolleyes:

Seriously did they do this? :eek: I guess if BGT or TXF is artificially boosted that does not matter. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 9pm in last place again with Restoration Man, it had 1.8mill, v the nearest competitor CBB 2.15mill, and that was with Restoration Man receiving its HIGHEST figures of the series.

C4 seems to have creatively run out of steam on the features or factual series front, or failing to attract an audience. I've seen some new dramas trailed that look like they could be good, but nothing for factual series or factual entertainment.

I wonder if Gypsy Weddings could have done another series - it would have pulled around 3mill easily, it was getting 7million 1st series - rather than the stuff they are pumping out now to 1.2-1.7mill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    A British person in the final of Wimbledon is an annual event? Right:rolleyes:
    first of a long sequence! :)

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously did they do this? :eek: I guess if BGT or TXF is artificially boosted that does not matter. :confused:
    You have to look at what makes a significant difference to the overall viewing figures for the year. Hour upon hour of coverage for days and days makes a difference, one or two hours here and there doesn't.

K
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any ratings for Waterloo road last night
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »

About as many times as the people who claimed there was a ratings crisis probably I would have thought.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any ratings for Waterloo road last night

3.69m 15.3%
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wat did Big Bang theory get last night not been posted yet:)
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tape checked soaps

BBC1
    13:45 Doctors - 1.58m (21.9%)
    19:30 Eastenders - 8.41m (36%)
    20:00 Waterloo Road - 3.69m (15.3%)

ITV1
    19:00 Emmerdale - 7.8m (34.8%)
    * +1 115k
    20:00 Emmerdale - 7.29m (30%)
    * +1 318k

Channel 4
    18:30 Hollyoaks - 1.09m (5.1%)
    * +1 123k

E4

19:00 Hollyoaks - 737k (3.3%)
    * +1 134k

Channel 5
    18:00 Home and Away - 667k (3.4%)

5*
    18:30 Home and Away - 477k (3.2%)

BBC3
    22:30 Eastenders - 587k (3.7%)
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wat did Big Bang theory get last night not been posted yet:)

1.66m (6.9%), +1: 391k (1.6%)
    * peak: 2.25m (9.3%) inc +1
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you back with us now then?

Hope so....

:)

No, I've got better things to do than engage with everything posted here. ;)
This discussion has been closed.