• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Dell !!!

Your havin a laugh mate

Explain?

I know loads of folk with Dells and they don't have any issues with them.
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't compare Dell to an iMac

It's like comparing Burger King to the Ivy....
    A Beatle to a Bently....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't compare Dell to an iMac

It's like comparing Burger King to the Ivy....
    A Beatle to a Bently....

If you say so lol... They use the exact same components, Apple just charge more for them because there in a shiny aluminium case.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    This is true but it would be even worse if you can't replace things like the DVD drive, I know this as my iMac has a faulty drive and its difficult to replace.

Won't be a problem before long as optical drives are being phased out by OEM PC manufacturers. Apple started the trend now the latest HP AIO has no drive either.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    If you say so lol... They use the exact same components, Apple just charge more for them because there in a shiny aluminium case.
    a far better comparison would be with mid to high end Asus machines ... consumer end dells are not what they once were
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    consumer end dells are not what they once were

Lets be honest, they were always pants....

Optical Drives are so last year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets be honest, they were always pants....

Optical Drives are so last year

I better throw away all my 1080p BDs then :rolleyes:

No download currently comes close to matching them, also games are getting larger but download limits are not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really, I just watched a movie on Netflix that was 1080p quality with zero buffering and great picture quality.

I have also just joined Plusnet fibre optic and it has no download limit for under £20 a month

Hav it !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, I just watched a movie on Netflix that was 1080p quality with zero buffering and great picture quality.

I have also just joined Plusnet fibre optic and it has no download limit for under £20 a month

Hav it !!!!!!!

Netflix doesn't look anywhere near as good as Bluray, that's almost laughable.

Google for comparisons if you like, the Internet is full of them, I have even tried it myself.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    This guy knows the score. Get an iMac....here are a few reasons why he is clearly clueless.

iMacs run OSX. OSX has almost no gaming on it. What so ever.

You may then retort with "you can duel boot windows". In which case you will be paying WAY over the odds for something which you do not need.

Apple computers are made for people who have no idea about computers, its why they can get away charging way over the odds for what the very same thing if you just bought a normal PC. Look at any iMac, then go to a PC seller website and build a PC with the SAME hardware. Notice how its about half the price. Apple customers are gullible, hence why they are ripped off with a garbage OS and computer parts that never cost that much.

Why do they get such great reviews in the computer mags and online then ? I'm talking about professional reviewers with (presumably) no axe to grind.
    I'm not being sarcastic, it's a genuine question from someone who has been considering taking the iMac route..mainly because every other pc around seems to be bundled with Windows 8 which has had a poor reception.

I'm not a gamer by the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they get such great reviews in the computer mags and online then ? I'm talking about professional reviewers with (presumably) no axe to grind..
    sponsored reviews, editor loves everything apple, because high spec machines excite reviewers
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they get such great reviews in the computer mags and online then ? I'm talking about professional reviewers with (presumably) no axe to grind.
    I'm not being sarcastic, it's a genuine question from someone who has been considering taking the iMac route..mainly because every other pc around seems to be bundled with Windows 8 which has had a poor reception.

I'm not a gamer by the way.

I'm newly converted from Windows to Mac, still use WIndows at work but bought a Macbook Pro for home use.

Yes they are overpriced compared with the same spec WIndows equivalent but the quality is second to non, and if I can afford it then why not.

A simple analogy; using a PC or Mac is like driving Skoda or a BMW, both cars do the same thing but BMW gives you a better driving experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    sponsored reviews, editor loves everything apple, because high spec machines excite reviewers

Perhaps, but is the iMac such poor value for money ?
    It's an all-in-one and they are expensive, an AIO computer from Lenovo or HP with similar specs is going to come in at around £800/£900 and appearance/build quality must mean something ?..and you must admit the iMacs are sexy looking machines. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    I'm newly converted from Windows to Mac, still use WIndows at work but bought a Macbook Pro for home use.

Yes they are overpriced compared with the same spec WIndows equivalent but the quality is second to non, and if I can afford it then why not.

A simple analogy; using a PC or Mac is like driving Skoda or a BMW, both cars do the same thing but BMW gives you a better driving experience.

That's what I'm thinking really. If I continue with Windows it will be another bog standard computer, I'll just take the cheapest route available and save the money for somthing else.
    If I decide to splash out, this time it will be for something of real quality that will last and be a pleasure to use..not something that could be said of most of my PC's in the past.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Does having a Mac give the same stereotypical view of the owner as a BMW as well? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps, but is the iMac such poor value for money ?
    It's an all-in-one and they are expensive, an AIO computer from Lenovo or HP with similar specs is going to come in at around £800/£900 and appearance/build quality must mean something ?..and you must admit the iMacs are sexy looking machines. :)
    others can cost less, just as much or more ... and look near identical ... I always buy by specs, name on ouitside (as long as it's 1 of recognised top 10 brands) matters very little .... and am not into machine s.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    others can cost less, just as much or more ... and look near identical ... I always buy by specs, name on ouitside (as long as it's 1 of recognised top 10 brands) matters very little .... and am not into machine s.....

Specs can help narrow down a choice - but particularly with a laptop then build quality and feel come into it as well
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Does having a Mac give the same stereotypical view of the owner as a BMW as well? :D

Views are your own so do they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fair enough. But I think paulj's analogy with a car is a good one. Almost any car will get you from A to B, but if you get even the smallest amount of extra pleasure out of driving a top of the range model, it can be worth paying the extra.

I don't think you can completely dismiss appearances either. I suppose it depends where your computer will be kept (in the case of a desktop) If I was keeping it in an office, I probably wouldn't give a damn about appearances. But at home it is nice to have something aesthetically pleasing (if only to please my wife) rather than an ugly tower system with a nest full of wires.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Views are your own so do they?

I don't think I know anyone that owns either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough. But I think paulj's analogy with a car is a good one. Almost any car will get you from A to B, but if you get even the smallest amount of extra pleasure out of driving a top of the range model, it can be worth paying the extra.

I don't think you can completely dismiss appearances either. I suppose it depends where your computer will be kept (in the case of a desktop) If I was keeping it in an office, I probably wouldn't give a damn about appearances. But at home it is nice to have something aesthetically pleasing (if only to please my wife) rather than an ugly tower system with a nest full of wires.
    Yep ... went the 17 inch desktop replacement route to improve my experience, chose one with some macbook pro same/similar components (at the time) for £650 .... was willing to compromise a little & saw no need for highest spec out there
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Look at any iMac, then go to a PC seller website and build a PC with the SAME hardware. Notice how its about half the price. Apple customers are gullible, hence why they are ripped off with a garbage OS and computer parts that never cost that much.
    You are clearly clueless too:

The iMacs have a quality IPS monitor, whereas AIO PCs from other manufacturers usually have cheap TN panels built in which results in a really bad image. That's where the price difference comes from.

If you are doing any kind of graphical work and care about your eyes, you're better off with an iMac.

I wish the Windows-AIOs would save the costs on unnecessary touchscreen functionality and TV tuners, and instead give us customers a proper IPS monitor.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are clearly clueless too:

Welcome to DS. Nice first post :rolleyes: bump an old thread with an insult.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Welcome to DS. Nice first post :rolleyes: bump an old thread with an insult.
    Oh, 21 days ago is now considered old and stating that someone's clueless is an insult? :o:confused:

Hi.