unbranded phones on Ebay

Comments

• jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    b1ackb1rd wrote: »
    I have a Chinese Note2 with similar specs to OP, it cost £120 plus postage.
    Cracking phone, my only problem is the sheer size of it ... I wish I'd bought the S3 copy with MTK6588 quad core processor.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself haha. No phone has that processor yet. There is a good article here with a list of phones that will have the processor first next year/after tomorrow!

http://www.gizchina.com/2012/12/31/the-top-10-most-anticipated-quad-core-chinese-phones-of-2013/
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Getting a bit ahead of yourself haha. No phone has that processor yet. There is a good article here with a list of phones that will have the processor first next year/after tomorrow!

http://www.gizchina.com/2012/12/31/the-top-10-most-anticipated-quad-core-chinese-phones-of-2013/

I like the look if this phone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hOU_Zc6Ljc

1080 screen, quad code and a 13 megapixel camera with hardware HDR mmmm
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I like the look if this phone
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hOU_Zc6Ljc

1080 screen, quad code and a 13 megapixel camera with hardware HDR mmmm

It's an excellent phone but Oppo have always been a bit expensive even in China.

ZTE's offering is a bit better and i bet it'll sell more. But i can't wait for the low cost offerings with 1080p screen + 10-13mp from smaller brands like UMI who might have a £200 phone on the market this Q1 with those specs, and most importantly a removable battery and micro sd card support.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how do i find these phones on ebay. i want htc one x
  • Andrew_ReidAndrew_Reid Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    That's a very good phone you got. How'd you get it so cheap? Did you not pay for dhl shipping?

@OP, I agree with thine wonk, unless you know what you're doing with a chinese phone you might as well buy a used s3 or a brand new dual core phone. Should be able to get galaxy s2 for £200 on payg new if I remember correctly.

@John, sar ratings are not as bad as you think. 2 batteries is normal because they're cheap. My battery lasts longer than my previous htc one x. Plus all phones in the uk used to come with2 batteries a while back
    Yes that was with DHL,paid extra to get delivered within a week,or it would have been free shipping.
    Forum Member
    Yes that was with DHL,paid extra to get delivered within a week,or it would have been free shipping.
    Sorry my mistake,just checked my bank online and the full amount i paid was £119
    Forum Member
    I was also looking at this oneNewly I9300 S3 MTK6577 Android Phones 1.2GHz Dual Core OS 4.1 +Cortex A9 mini i9300 Smart phone,if the note is too big for me.for $60
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    does anyone know how easy these are to root. I am an Android novice, as I have an Iphone, but fancy a change. Only I noticed most of these ebay phones only have 2GB ROM, which I assume will fill instantly with Apps unless I root and move the apps to a 32gb sd card?
    Forum Member
    It's quite easy to root but it depends on the phone tbh. If you google the phone name you plan to buy then you'll see if it has a dev/user following or can be rooted.
    Forum Member
    thanks, I have been trying to google them, but there seems to be no data on most of them. I do not want to buy one, and not be able to use it fully.

As the OP, I do not want to commit to a 2 year contract, and cannot afford the £400 plus for a S3, or Note2, so one of these looks to fit the bill. Of course, I am not expecting the same quality, or build, but I just need to replace my old Iphone 3GS with something better
    Forum Member
    thanks, I have been trying to google them, but there seems to be no data on most of them. I do not want to buy one, and not be able to use it fully.

As the OP, I do not want to commit to a 2 year contract, and cannot afford the £400 plus for a S3, or Note2, so one of these looks to fit the bill. Of course, I am not expecting the same quality, or build, but I just need to replace my old Iphone 3GS with something better

OK, few questions then-

Budget?
    Screen size?
    Would you rather import from China or buy from a trusted seller in the UK? (This will impact price drastically)
    Any other requirements?
    Do you know how to root? or install CWM? Or flash a custom rom?
    Forum Member
    I have a budget of around £200

I would like at least the same as the S3, possibly Note 2 size.

I would prefer UK seller, who could possibly provide help, but will also import if much cheaper

The only main requirement, is a good camera, and must be on jelly bean

I have rooted my android tablet, but only the once, so no expert.
    Forum Member
    um i guess the Star N7100+ (5mp camera though) and the Star B92m/B94m and the Umi X1 are the best bets.

Only thing is that there are no UK sellers of these phones :/ and tbh there are not many with Jelly bean out there yet.

It's up to you if you want to wait for the quad core phones mentioned here in my other thread. Or if you want to go for one of these now. Be advised that the GPS on the Star B92m and Umi X1 is a little patchy.

btw can i recommend etotalk, they are a great site who cater for people who import by installing the english version etc... Ali Express are also good as well but only if you find the right seller (like ebay).

Google the phones above on youtube and you'll get an idea of how they perform. I'd say go for the B94m/Umi X1 if you want a 4.5/4.7inch screen, Then go for the N7100+ if you want the note style screen.
    Forum Member
    thanks for the tips, I will take a look. I am not bothered about quad core, as dual will do, but really want at least a 8m camera, and 4.1 jelly bean.
    Forum Member
    I'd probably recommend the Star B94m then.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU1G5NBI-Ks

If you want to order from etotalk, make sure you remove all the extras apart from the - ETOtalk mod rom and multi lang keyboard (keep any other ones you want as well) This costs about $6 extra but it makes etotalk install a new jellybean rom, root the phone and remove all chinese crap etc... make google play available etc...

Thats why i said etotalk is good because they provide a service for foreigners. I know friends who've used it before and it's good. With DHL shipping + MOD ROM + Phone it comes to $203ish. You can add a second battery for $20 which takes it to $223 which is £138 inc shipping (not inc import tax). Pay the extra $1 so they send it as a gift as well.

Etotalk are good for CS as well but then again do bear in mind you're importing so if you run into issues with the phone you have to send it back to China. So have you considered being a cheap used phone or maybe a phone like the Galaxy Ace 2 or something similar in this price range of £150.

http://etotalk.com/star-b94m-android41-dual-core-10ghz-dual-sim-45-inch-qhd-3g-wcdma_p3587.html#show
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    You can get the S3 for £15 a month as the phone is bassically obslete now.

It's hardly advertised has been superseded by about 6 different handsets. The S4 is due in he next 3-4 months the nexus 4 although a poor phone is a better choice and is very cheap direct from google.

I have a Nexus 4 an it's definately better than the S3 an at under £300 is a cheap phone. Infact a 8gb Nexus 4 is £230 so even with the awful depreciation of these phone you can't lose. I paid £270 for a 16gb.

I've just been discussing this with norris mcwerter and can now confirm that that is the most wrong anyone has ever been.

it is odd that you think your cheap phone is much better than the much better s3. oh hang on a a minute....

the nexus is a little cracker but it is not better than the s3.
    Forum Member

to be honest, non of them are 1.2GHz they just say that (you know how the Chinese are with their advertising)

The Mediatek MTK6577 processor is clocked at 1.0GHz
    The Mediatek MTK6577T is clocked at 1.2GHz

And there are only 3 phones (Jiayu G2S, Lenovo P770, Lenovo S980) that use this 1.2GHz processor.

So it doesn't matter which one you buy as they are all 1.0GHz phones.

With Android Jellybean the more ram the better. Thats not to say 512mb ram isn't good but i'd recommend at least 1GB. If you like to use apps a lot or maybe do two things at once then 1GB is for you. If you're just using it for calls/texts/occasional browsing/game then 512mb ram should do fine.

But i would recommend 1GB. The N7100+ like i said in my previous post does have 1GB but on the downside it's only a 5mp camera. I'll try and have a look and see if i can find another note type phone with 1GB ram. There are a few tbh but they are running ICS and not Jellybean.

Oh and btw the phone you linked to only has a resolution of 800x480, you want at least a 960x540 res screen so it doesn't look too pixellated.
    Forum Member
    what about this,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281045674770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

1GB ram, 4GB ROM.

as for resolution, that is not really an issue. I am not that bothered about that part.

But the one above does have 1280x720. UK seller to, and a good price
    Forum Member
    what about this,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281045674770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

1GB ram, 4GB ROM.

as for resolution, that is not really an issue. I am not that bothered about that part.

But the one above does have 1280x720. UK seller to, and a good price

Yep, this is the phone i have. (paid £30 less though :D )

It's good, the jellybean rom i'm using at the moment is very smooth and can be rooted. However, you'd have to root yourself and try and fix GPS because the GPS on this phone isn't very good tbh. They might have fixed it in the new batches but i'm not sure.

It's a very good phone though. I would ask the seller if 4.1 does come preinstalled because it's literally just come out this week so i'm very surprised they have a model available with Jellybean already.

You can read my review here-
    http://www.gizchina.com/2012/11/03/exclusive-complete-comprensive-star-b92m-hdc-galaxy-s3-ex-review/

bear in mind this is when the phone came out on ICS, the graphics issue has been fixed with jellybean and there is a GPS fix, but like i said. Patchy.
    Forum Member
    well, it says it has 4.1 in the ad. so I assume so. As for Rooting, i have asked them so will see

GPS is an issue, as I need a working GPS. I use my iphone to track my running via gps, and would need this to do the same:o
    Forum Member
    well, it says it has 4.1 in the ad. so I assume so. As for Rooting, i have asked them so will see

GPS is an issue, as I need a working GPS. I use my iphone to track my running via gps, and would need this to do the same:o

GPS might be the downfall on this phone tbh. The fix i have allows me to get GPS in one location but it's useless as a satnav because it keeps dropping the location like every time i move at a speed.

Yeh they do rooting according to the discription (which i should have read :P) Oh and just so you know, you cannot get a 12mp camera on MT6577 processor. Only up to 8mp max. This one is actually 8mp even though it says 12mp. I knew this before buying so doesn't matter. But just want to let you know as well.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have recently been to Istanbul and there are 100s of clone phones on the market there. Some are even badged as Samsung or Apple products but are too cheap to be the real thing. Not all are from China. I saw one very convincing looking Samsung Galaxy S3 clone with dual SIM slots from Viet-Nam!

It looked OK and felt real enough but I'm not sure how long it would last or how it would cope with multitasking etc compared to the genuine product.

There must be a big market for such products. Biggest selling copied design I have seen lately is the Beats Audio headphones but the sound quality of those is very poor compared to the originals.
    Forum Member
    I have recently been to Istanbul and there are 100s of clone phones on the market there. Some are even badged as Samsung or Apple products but are too cheap to be the real thing. Not all are from China. I saw one very convincing looking Samsung Galaxy S3 clone with dual SIM slots from Viet-Nam!

It looked OK and felt real enough but I'm not sure how long it would last or how it would cope with multitasking etc compared to the genuine product.

There must be a big market for such products. Biggest selling copied design I have seen lately is the Beats Audio headphones but the sound quality of those is very poor compared to the originals.

Yip, i just spent a month in abu Dhabi, and the local shop was selling a massive range of BEATS. The cheapest were £29, and even bluetooth ones were only £50. They looked the part, but sound was not up to scratch. However, they were still ok for £50 headphones.

That is what I am applying to these cheap phones.I know I am not buying a Galaxy s3, or Note2, and dont expect the same, but I am happy with just a working phone, that has GPS
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1

what is your opinion on this

has 1.4ghz dual, 2gb Rom, no idea how much ram, and resolution looks low
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170967761818?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649