Options

House of cards

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    robot1000 wrote: »
    I think there's a thread in the US TV Shows
    I did wonder when I saw the thread title. I knew they made a US series with Spacey
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first one last night, but I'm not sure if I like it... Is it worth me giving it a chance?
  • Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an earlier thread about this where you'll find some comment. Not far away right now.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Can't say as it's overly impressing me - only 8 episodes in but the writing is often decidedly average, as is the story-telling. Great acting by Spacey (and up to a point Robin Wright) but overall I'm really struggling to maintain interest in it.

It does dip a little in the middle but the last few are terrific - stick with it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Brilliant. I love Kevin Spacey - I know he is evil but you can't help but like him. Claire Underwood is a weird character - weird as in interesting. On episode 8 now and can't believe there's only 13 episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's Daily Politics had Michael Dobbs (original author) on the US version of House of Cards
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qv272/Daily_Politics_12_02_2013/
    Starts 53mins in.
  • Options
    TiexenTiexen Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Today's Daily Politics had Michael Dobbs (original author) on the US version of House of Cards
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01qv272/Daily_Politics_12_02_2013/
    Starts 53mins in.

Interesting - I see Netflix has the original as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be lacking something but I'm not sure what it is. It just doesn't say 'quality TV' to me.

I'll stick with it just in case I'm missing something though...
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    I'm not interested in watching programmes on a computer and do not have an internet enabled TV (assuming such things exist :confused:).

Does anybody know if this will be released on DVD in due course?

Yes it's been put through the bbfc so is coming at some point. Cert 18 though... be careful kids. ;) Listed as coming soon on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/House-Cards-Season-DVD-Copy/dp/B00AWN5ACS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360696762&sr=8-1

I'm on episode 8, thought the scene where the wife gave the guy a hand job in the hospital was a bit jump the shark but apart from that it's been grand.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching. I paced myself an episode or two every couple of days. I really enjoyed it. As said before bit saggy in the middle. Loved Kevin Spacey evil but....:D I really liked Claire character, especially when she went to New York to see Adam (he's one of many smaller smart roles I really enjoyed) . Hard to like Zoe but, Kate Mara is a terrific actress. Last couple of episodes were great though I missed weak but sweet Peter Russo( even tho' I got him mixed up with doug stamper for the first couple of episodes!)
    Can't wait for the next series.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Yes it's been put through the bbfc so is coming at some point. Cert 18 though... be careful kids. ;)

The show has been rated by the BBFC for VOD (it's under the VOD section rather than their Video section). It'll inevitably appear on DVD eventually, but i think it'll be a while yet, possibly just before Season 2 appears on Netflix, i'd imagine that Netflix will want to to keep it exclusive for a while to increase subscribers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    The show has been rated by the BBFC for VOD (it's under the VOD section rather than their Video section). It'll inevitably appear on DVD eventually, but i think it'll be a while yet, possibly just before Season 2 appears on Netflix, i'd imagine that Netflix will want to to keep it exclusive for a while to increase subscribers.

I can tell you what got them the 18 in any case- I'd bet it was only for the single line about cutting wrists vertically not horizontally. Instant X rating that one. Rest of it would have been 15.

Now, no one kill yourself after watching please; the bbfc would be upset. ;)
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 15,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can tell you what got them the 18 in any case- I'd bet it was only for the single line about cutting wrists vertically not horizontally. Instant X rating that one. Rest of it would have been 15.

Now, no one kill yourself after watching please; the bbfc would be upset. ;)

Quite right. According to the BBFC, episode 5 contained suicide references which warranted a '18' classification.
  • Options
    Bob PaisleyBob Paisley Posts: 3,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen this yet - but I assume it'll eventually find its way on to 'conventional' television.

Just out of curiosity, have they reimagined the oedipal, 'I want to call you Daddy' thing between the Mattie Storin equivalent and Spacey's character? I sort of imagine that might be a bit near the knuckle for American TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IJust out of curiosity, have they reimagined the oedipal, 'I want to call you Daddy' thing between the Mattie Storin equivalent and Spacey's character? I sort of imagine that might be a bit near the knuckle for American TV.

No, it's more abusive in the US version.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it apart from one scene (with the blatant product placement for the PSVita) - I'll keep an eye open for s2.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CABINET wrote: »
    I'm not interested in watching programmes on a computer and do not have an internet enabled TV (assuming such things exist :confused:).

Does anybody know if this will be released on DVD in due course?

Season 1 is out on dvd/blu-ray in the UK on June 10th.
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've watched six episodes so far, and think its brilliant :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving it now, so glad I gave it a chance. :)

It's like The West Wing with sleeze! At first I was really iritated by Kevin Spacey's comments to the camera but now I look forward to those little moments, he's great! I love the sorded relationship between him and the young reporter too!! And his wife is an interesting one, quite a sad character I think... She sooo wanted babies!! Russo is another good character...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    I'm loving it now, so glad I gave it a chance. :)

It's like The West Wing with sleeze! At first I was really iritated by Kevin Spacey's comments to the camera but now I look forward to those little moments, he's great! I love the sorded relationship between him and the young reporter too!! And his wife is an interesting one, quite a sad character I think... She sooo wanted babies!! Russo is another good character...

Ian Richardson was better at doing the bits to camera methinks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylu3x72WHTs

The wife is interesting though, much better than in the UK version.
  • Options
    redandwhiterobredandwhiterob Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 episodes in and loving it so far, gritty, tense political thriller with some brilliant acting and characters

What more could a bloke want from a tv show;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Zoe she is just sell out with little morals it would seem. She is just being used for political gain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ian Richardson was better at doing the bits to camera methinks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylu3x72WHTs

The wife is interesting though, much better than in the UK version.

I'd never seen the origional before, but I watched a couple of episodes on NetFlix after getting into the new one. I didn't like it much at all. I much prefere the shiny, new US version!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like Zoe she is just sell out with little morals it would seem. She is just being used for political gain.

Those are the things I like about her!!
    I expected her to be the predictable, cute rookie reporter trying to make it in the cut throat world of tabloids :sleep:, but no, she's full of surprises!! :D I like how she shocks me.