Options

Tesco Hudl...don't believe the hype

13»

Comments

• Options
    B-29B-29 Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having had a Tesco Hudl for over a month now, I have to say that I am generally disappointed.

I had to return the thing just a few days after purchase, as it kept cutting out. the tech desk in Tesco Stafford store argued that I was at fault, but after we stood our ground and demanded action they magically shuffled it into the back office, emerging ten minutes later having 'reset' it by poking a pen into a hole on the back...couldn't make it up, really!

clearly it had been sold in unsatisfactory state.

Since then, it has been sporadic at best. You are often unable to use the UTube app, and the Google search is less than reliable at busier times.

The machine has a clunky aura, like an old netbook I had seven years ago.

The worst part is how unresponsive it is to touch. You have to really jab it at least four times to get it to click onto something. all rather disappointing, not what I had expected.

I have to say that I find my powerful HP laptop is infinitely easier to use with my Plusnet broadband and never kicks me off, !like the tablet does.

I am interested to hear what others have found with their Hudl.

Mine is great ,prefer it to my wife's new nexus7 , for everyday use it is a fine piece of kit
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    My 2012 Nexus 7 has been working perfectly for years. Never one problem, even when it was being used by my youngest.

He stopped using my N7 when he got a Hudl. First one he had broke, replacement has been fine. The Hudl being used by my eldest - 5 months service, no problems at all. Runs pretty fast, screen is good and clear, so please stop spreading the FUD. You've just been unlucky.

The iPads are cheap devices, but Apple just charge one heck of a lot more for them. Devices like the N7 are genuine alternatives, built as well, interface is easily as good.

Well all I can say to that is, iPad may be cheap, but compared to an N7 and especially a Hudl, it is definitely much better built, does have a better screen and sound quality and a much better touch response, higher reliability and better apps. I kind of wish it had Android on and it ran as well as it does with iOS. But it doesn't, so I'll take that cheers. I really wanted to like the Nexus 7, I really, really did, but it was just an unreliable bit of kit. I don't doubt you can get a reliable one, but in my experience, as all three had issues, I'd say the chances are 50/50.

In the end, if you can afford better (and I'm genuinely not trying to show off here) then why would you take a 'lesser' device?

And please don't think I'm an Apple ****, because I've got a Nexus 5 and that kicks seven bells out of the iPhone 5S.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .In the end, if you can afford better (and I'm genuinely not trying to show off here) then why would you take a 'lesser' device?
    Cos it ain't lesser.
    There is no built in walled web limitations, no big black band for movie viewing and having GPS +HDMI+SD slot likely makes it more useful for holiday travel.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the end, if you can afford better (and I'm genuinely not trying to show off here) then why would you take a 'lesser' device?

Why settle for less? Because some of us are tight.

In reality the Hudl dose a fine job if you just want basic functionality. I quite often use mine for watching "free" films on Cartoons HD and connect it up to my plasma telly.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because you don't just want to blow money for no good reason, maybe?
    I have an iPad and a Hudl (needed the iPad for work purposes - testing) but I use my Hudl much more than the iPad.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Because you don't just want to blow money for no good reason, maybe?
    I have an iPad and a Hudl (needed the iPad for work purposes - testing) but I use my Hudl much more than the iPad.

Believe me if my nexus 7 hadn't been a glitchy POS then I wouldn't have had to spend more, but it was, so there. :p
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    In my experience cheap tablets are crap. I've had 3 (yes three) nexus 7s and all had infuriating glitches with the touch screen, stability issues, and build quality issues. It's annoying as my nexus phones have been spot on, but they cost more i guess. The iPad mini 2 I have now is a revelation compared. God only knows what the tesco tablet is like if the nexus 7 was as frustrating as it proved to be. I think some people are just blind to its faults. You can bang on all you want about how much of a rip off iPads are but my experience of it has been far more pleasant than any android tablet I've used.

I'm surprised. I got a 2013 Nexus 7 for Christmas (32GB model which cost £240) and it works fine. I don't use it as a replacement for my Macs and I rarely use it in the house except in bed, but I use it a lot when travelling or out and about. I take it to university with me as well. That's where it gets the most use. I carry it everywhere with me. Maybe you were just sold a lemon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hudl obviously lets you do what you actually want and can go as versatile as you want. On the other hand, other systems much of the time do what the system wants.

This review comment nicely sums up your alternative " But its greatest advantage over other email apps is that Apple still does not let you pick another default mail application."

That positivity no matter what means it is promoted as great even when it is shown as so so bad.
    The HUDL is in fact a decent PC, simple at the outset but can be made as accomplished/complicated as far you want to go.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's our 3 hudls now received the latest update. Are folk finding it better or much the same.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    That's our 3 hudls now received the latest update. Are folk finding it better or much the same.

What's the update?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Just got the update this morning. Actually first received the notification last week but was low on battery and just about to go out so left it to do when I got back only to find the notification had gone.

Also now seen that the Demand 5 app is now available so that completes the set of main catch up players which is my prime reason for using the Hudl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    What's the update?

I think the main one is that it has a reset screen in the display options. You basically lay it flat and press the button. Supposed to recalibrate it.
  • Options
    linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had mine since November, but recently the charger slips out easily from the connection port and charging the battery takes much longer than it used to.

I read a few reviews from other users encountering the same problems. I called up TESCO Tech help on Friday about it, and they've arranged to deliver a new tablet and charger on Tuesday to me.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Someone I know got one of these and was shouting from the roof tops about it having a HDMI connection as if it's exclusive.

I have an iPad which can do the same thing, all I need to do is buy a connecting lead.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The Hudl obviously lets you do what you actually want and can go as versatile as you want. On the other hand, other systems much of the time do what the system wants.

This review comment nicely sums up your alternative " But its greatest advantage over other email apps is that Apple still does not let you pick another default mail application."

That positivity no matter what means it is promoted as great even when it is shown as so so bad.
    The HUDL is in fact a decent PC, simple at the outset but can be made as accomplished/complicated as far you want to go.

Apple does let you use another email account as a default. I use the Gmail app.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    I've had mine since November, but recently the charger slips out easily from the connection port and charging the battery takes much longer than it used to.

I read a few reviews from other users encountering the same problems. I called up TESCO Tech help on Friday about it, and they've arranged to deliver a new tablet and charger on Tuesday to me.
    Ooh, I've got that too and phoned hudl tech support about it earlier!

They're swapping mine out next week :cool:

What incredible service, a replacement with no questions asked?

It's a weird phenomenon though because the micro usb used to fit really tightly so I can't work out if it's the charger or the port?

I didn't know others were having this problem but if it's been flagged-up as an issue, that's probably why they're taking no chances and doing these exchanges.

Had a really lovely chat with the tech guy who was assisting me and he tells me that as well as the hudl 2, there's going to be a hudl phone so it will be interesting to see that when it's released.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    Apple does let you use another email account as a default. I use the Gmail app.

So did they fix IOS 7 so that that where when you click a pic or anything anywhere else to send it always goes to the built in mail?
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    So did they fix IOS 7 so that that where when you click a pic or anything anywhere else to send it always goes to the built in mail?
    Currently Apple's own apps (such as Safari and Apple Mail etc.) always link/invoke their own apps, and the user cannot change the default behaviour.

The problem is there is no user definable default apps settings in vanilla iOS - however apps can invoke other apps instead of the default, which is how Google can have all their suite running on iOS pretty seamlessly if you want to stay in the Google eco-system. eg. Gmail/Chrome/Google Maps/Docs etc can all link to each other, and totally bypass the Apple defaults.

Apologies for going off-topic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I was trying to understand what James30 implied.
    Apple functionality usually headlines post fix, not pre-fix so I did slightly wonder if I missed seeing a headline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got our hudl with loose charge port changed today.