Options

Irritating/Over-played Game Show Themes

woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
Forum Member
✭✭
This is a bit of a ranty thread, but does anyone else absolutely despise those annoying, loud, clunky themes that game/quiz shows play several hundred times an episode? My family (unfortunately) seem to love watching "The Chase" every afternoon and the moment I hear that high octane theme that they must play either before or after EVERY question forces me to leave the room. It's intrusive and just generally makes my shit itch. I can only assume they're trying to up the suspense ante, but does the same piece of action music need to be played every single time? Gah!

"Pointless" (which I find marginally less objectionable) does the same thing with a set musical piece that accompanies every question, as does/did The Weakest Link (although it mercifully limited the repetition to the end and beginning of rounds). When did this all start?

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The annoying thing about pointless is the countdown sound.

The worst part of WWTBAM was when the lights went down and there was that stupid music flourish which led to the background tension music.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

The worst part of WWTBAM was when the lights went down and there was that stupid music flourish which led to the background tension music.

Oh yes, WWTBAM may well have started the ridiculous trend of trying to drum up suspense via action film musical flourishes. I can't stand it in Pointless either - nor can I stand that they seem to draw it out as the pointer gets further down before revealing that ONE person apparently said the player's answer most of the time (yeah, and I'm the ex-Pope).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

When you see the recording they make you go along with the "tower noise" you have to go wooooo until it stops. You feel a bit silly.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Strike it Lucky theme was always blasting at intervals, and that was a good decade or two ago!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DU DU
    DU DU
    DUNUNUNUUU
    *punch*
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I agree that the music/sound that plays before and at the end of each round on the Chase is pretty annoying (and deafeningly loud) , though I think the show itself is good.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    I agree that the music/sound that plays before and at the end of each round on the Chase is pretty annoying (and deafeningly loud) , though I think the show itself is good.

I love The Chase, but have to agree the music does grate at times.