Options

Beta software

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For those interested in recent postings the last software available for testing was Beta 3 or PGXTF10003 which has been available for a few weeks. Beta 2 from last November/december had at least one techncial problem that needed to be resolved for Beta 3 to do with the EPG navigation, as someone mentioned here previously.
I spotted one issue in beta 3 and so that will need to be fixed for the next round of beta testing.

I tested for and found the following bugs were fixed in the current beta:
Radio recording from standby bug
No sound on second recording bug
MP3 playback via digital optical out

I also noticed that the name of the recording in the schedule information does not change when adding padding to the beginning time.

The issue I reported to Humax was when in the Guide: if a scheduled recording starts you are sent out of the guide. Humax are currently working on the fixes for beta3 – I don’t know what they all are; the issue with MP3s downloading on the Humax and software changes to the MHEG engine. I don’t know what else they are working on. Hopefully a new version will be available in the next week or 2 as Humax want a software release for the PVR in February.

Probably wont be the only bug/issues fix release but it makes sense for them to release as many bug fixes as possible and then make them available, and then carry on with any remaining bug fixes for another release.

Bug/issues fixes are the priority however that doesn’t mean they don’t want to look at feature changes. I had recently provided a top 10 features wish list to Humax and comparing it to the one Humax compiled from their customer contact database they look almost the same. To be able to include these Humax will be working on several releases between February and May.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Thanks for this v informative post. Looking forward to hearing some news from Humax. It's a shame they don't throw some news this way occasionally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest the guide ought to be a top priority - bugs affect some lack of guide for 10-20 mins affects all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    To be honest the guide ought to be a top priority - bugs affect some lack of guide for 10-20 mins affects all.

say that again?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Hi marcdavis..where did u get the beta 3?...can u send it to me plz if it not on humax website?

Thankyou :)

calamero
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamero wrote:
    Hi marcdavis..where did u get the beta 3?...can u send it to me plz if it not on humax website?

Thankyou :)

calamero

Originally I was told I could not distribute Humax's own beta software or make it available publically. So I cant break the agreement, and as you can appreciate I wouldnt want to risk damaging some good communication lines.

Goody two shoes statement over; I received the beta software from Humax so I guess the best place to go is Humax. Steveh1 (hi steve!) got handed a copy of this software by Humax to resolve his no sound on 2nd recording issue but I am not clear on what the deal is with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    I also noticed that the name of the recording in the schedule information does not change when adding padding to the beginning time.
    Marc

Can you confirm that the name in the recording schedule AND the list of recorded programmes is correct (eg that from the EPG when OK pressed) even if the start is padded?

Paul
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm the first part but the second part is a no if my memory serves me right. I have forgotten about that one to tell you the truth so either it didnt work when I tested it and didnt bother doing more tests or someone else reported it doesn't work. ILet me set a couple of scheduled recordings up and pad the beginning times and see if Humax has made another change they didnt tell me about. I'll get back to you in the monring Paul on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul,
    Can confirm that the fix for retaining the name in the schedule list after padding the beginning time.

There is no change to th behaviour of the box with regards to taking the actual name of programme being recorded when recording starts for the subsiquent playlist entry.

I did about 4 tests last night and for example, I set a schedule from the EPG to record The Mighty Boosh. Then I edited the schedule for it to start recoding 5 minutes earlier. As proved, the name is not deleted in the schedule list after editing this. When recording started 5 minutes early it was still Newsnight and that is te entry in the playlist. I'll check with Humax to see if they have any plans to change this feature if you like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    There is no change to th behaviour of the box with regards to taking the actual name of programme being recorded when recording starts for the subsiquent playlist entry.

I'll check with Humax to see if they have any plans to change this feature if you like.
    Thanks Marc. Yes, please ask Humax if they will fix it.

This is so disappointing, I was counting on a fix in the next release. I must spend 15 minutes or more a week editing the programme names of recorded programmes so that other people can find the one they want to watch. The only alternative is not to pad and then miss the start of some programmes.

Humax obviously don't see this as a priority. Surely the fix can't be that difficult to implement?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I completely agree that box should be clever enough to attach the correct name if you pad the recording. However, I also find that programmes almost never start early (but often start late). I don't bother padding the beginning, but I always pad recordings by 3 minutes at the end. It is vastly more annoying to miss the last few minutes of a programme than to miss the first few!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfmf wrote:
    However, I also find that programmes almost never start early (but often start late). I don't bother padding the beginning, but I always pad recordings by 3 minutes at the end. It is vastly more annoying to miss the last few minutes of a programme than to miss the first few!
    *Cough* Channel 4 outside of primetime (and oftern the BBC and Sky Three). Most of the time it's just the catch up at the begining that I miss.
    say that again?
    I'm just sayng that I think that the guide not saving itself has more of a detrimental effect on use of the box than some of the bugs that have been reported.

Incidently, Marc, how do you get on the beta?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got an invite into it last year. I can only presume this was because I was active on this Humax forum. I guess a large part to do with the excellent comms Barry established with Humax and this board early on. I mentioned to another poster the other day to ask Humax if they are still taking in more beta testers. I am aware of some selection focussed on people who had specific and regualr problems due to the majority not experience a given issue. E.G if I or a number of testers as well as Humax cant replicate/capture an issue reported, it would be difficult to know if it was fixed after changing the software, unless they could enlist the help of some of those particularly affected to check it out. Steve reported on the no sound on 2nd recording thread; he reported his problem to Humax recently and they gave him beta software to try, and he found it did indeed solve that particular issue. This was only in the last week or so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    It sounds like the update we have all been patiently waiting for is not going to include auto-padding and EPG save to disk, which is very dissapointing, as these two issues cause us all a lot of irritation, and should both be simple to develop !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Hi Marc,

When you edit the recording times, does the 'reserved' icon still disappear from the EPG, or have they fixed that too?

Cheers,
    Pete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could check it tonight Pete. I suspect Humax will release some software as they fix things and then again when more is fixed and so on; rather than holing on to everything until such a time as all is included in one. But when I get another beta I will check if there have been any more bunged in and keep reporting here. I know a lot of people are interested hense why I asked permission to make it a little more transparant to DS users.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    I could check it tonight Pete. I suspect Humax will release some software as they fix things and then again when more is fixed and so on; rather than holing on to everything until such a time as all is included in one.
    The downside of that approach is that you have to run a full release test plan for each one that's generally released. I'd have thought it was in Humax's interest to maybe keep drip feeding "betas" to a few selected testers but wait until the majority of what theyt want to fix/change is ready before going for the "big release". Did I mention April by the way? :p

(in fact if their betas don't have the "new" features like drive based EPG, auto pad, chaseplay at this stage then an April release looks less and less likely - maybe I should say June?)

Cliff
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Well the 9200 is about 3 months old now and the decemeber update that sounds like it will be out in feb does sound like it is mainly a fix of the serious problems/bugs some users get.

For me only saving the epg, more timers and keeping the recording icon/name after padding would be nice and these are only really simple features to make it more user friendly. So not a high priority for Humax.

Apart from the odd HDD error (which is probably a faulty HDD in my unit and i can't be bothered getting it swapped just yet) it works fine and i'm sure this the same with the majority of owners.
    All this talk of software upgrades and wish lists does get everyone's hopes up for a improved and more polished 9200 but i think the future updates will be few and far and just focused on recognised bugs, not cosmetic improvements.

So i guess the 9200 is what it is and getting it to work for everyone will happen at some point this year. But getting a polished PVR that everyone is happy with is just a dream, at least for this generation of PVR's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of like you in that I just want all the wishlist stuff in, unless you suffer from specific bugs or issues you will probably feel the same. But there is no way Humax will go for those first and doing any bugs work first is only proper.

fbz1501s attitude is probably the best approach. Lower the expections completely and then if things happen to the timescales Humax are aiming for then be pleasantly suprised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pete I had a look last night and it does go away. It seems to do this if you change the recording time and then it no longer the same match as the item in the EPG. I guess if it did this it would have the icon in the previous programme listing or the next as well, which would be confusing, when thats not really what you are wanting to record.

As it stands at the moment, if you just go ahead and select what you want to record the box will tell you straight away if you already have 2 recordings and choose.

It would be nice if there was a visual way of knowing off the graphical EPG the contents of the seporate scheduled timer list, which is accessed within the EPG by the yellow button. Like a red line underlined under any or part programme blocks accordingly.
    Will suggest to Humax to look at this, especially if when autopadding is going to start being used - if all programmes selected via the EPG are automatically padded you would never see any indications of reserved recordings at all anyway. Something they need to think about I think at the same time as the autopadding work.
  • Options
    Adrian_KAdrian_K Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    that'd be nice.
    marcdavis wrote:
    It would be nice if there was a visual way of knowing off the graphical EPG the contents of the seporate scheduled timer list. Like a red line underlined under any or part programme blocks accordingly.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CJL wrote:
    The downside of that approach is that you have to run a full release test plan for each one that's generally released. I'd have thought it was in Humax's interest to maybe keep drip feeding "betas" to a few selected testers but wait until the majority of what theyt want to fix/change is ready before going for the "big release".

It seems to me that fixing bugs will be highest priority for Humax. Consumers probably have a right to a refund if the product does not work as advertised but consumers have no rights if a box does not have a particular function that was never advertised.

It also seems to me there are two levels of wider release: to the enthusiasts via the Humax web site and to the masses via an over the air update. I would have thought it wise to release bug fix and feature enhancement versions via the web site (as a public beta and with due warnings)after issues found in a limited distribuion beta have been fixed but without necessarily going through a full release test plan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    It would be nice if there was a visual way of knowing off the graphical EPG the contents of the seporate scheduled timer list, which is accessed within the EPG by the yellow button. Like a red line underlined under any or part programme blocks accordingly.

This is a great idea, and probably much easier to implement than a scheme that has to decide whether you've just padded a recording by a few minutes, or have changed the recording times to record two consecutive programmes in a single recording. You'd still want the EPG to show if a recording is set to repeat daily or weekly, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    marcdavis wrote:
    Will suggest to Humax to look at this, especially if when autopadding is going to start being used - if all programmes selected via the EPG are automatically padded you would never see any indications of reserved recordings at all anyway. Something they need to think about I think at the same time as the autopadding work.

Thanks Marc,

I agree there needs to be some sort of indication in the EPG. I think in the meantime, I might try an alternative padding method: reserving the programme after as well as the one I want. This is quicker than editing the scheduled times anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PeteL wrote:
    I think in the meantime, I might try an alternative padding method: reserving the programme after as well as the one I want. This is quicker than editing the scheduled times anyway!

I bet you run out of timer slots! You can only reserve 20 recordings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I got this from Humax Tech Support: -

Hi Steven,

We intend to increase the Timer limit to 50 in a future update.
    We are aware of issues with the E-Linker software not doing any error checking when transferring the information to a PC, this is something that will be addressed in the future.

Thanks

This was in response to two questions I raised when I was e-mailed the recent beta software.

Notice no time frames!