Options

My clothes are being eaten

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
I think I have a moth problem.
Holes are appearing in my clothes and linen.
Is there anything I can use other than stinky moth balls?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An less stinky and more environmentally sound alternative is to use cedar balls. You can also get these in blocks that hang in your wardrobe, or as shavings that can be put into pouches and sprinkled with oils to perfume the area rather than honk it out with chemicals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh, thank you so much Macaroni! I'm going to go out and buy some now. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    are you sure it isnt your washing machine, our old one used to catch clothes in gap by the seal on the door and rip them, we needed a new type of seal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We bought a new washing machine about a month ago so I don't think it was that. Well I hope not, it cost enough!

The utility room where we keep the dryer and linen etc has an outside door where a lot of moths hang out together. They are my prime suspects.

Thank you for the suggestion though.
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are you sure it isnt your washing machine, our old one used to catch clothes in gap by the seal on the door and rip them, we needed a new type of seal

Do washing machines fly about in wardrobes without being noticed ?
  • Options
    mazeymazey Posts: 137,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sketcher wrote:
    I think I have a moth problem.
    Holes are appearing in my clothes and linen.
    Is there anything I can use other than stinky moth balls?

If the holes are small and appearing in natural fabrics (cotton, wool, silk) it is more likely to be biological washing powder/liquid causing the problem, if that is what you use. The enzymes that eat the stains also eat the fabric, if what I remember from a long explanation from a chemistry teacher who used to work for Lever is right.

Cedar balls, as recommended above, worked for me years ago when I found holes in woollen winter clothes stored in a wardrobe. At least it has not happened since then.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sketcher wrote:
    We bought a new washing machine about a month ago so I don't think it was that. Well I hope not, it cost enough!

The utility room where we keep the dryer and linen etc has an outside door where a lot of moths hang out together. They are my prime suspects.

Thank you for the suggestion though.

You keep the DRYER?. Eff it off and just hang your stuff up until it dries. My best clothes, that I wore, died in a tumble dryer. Loved them for 10 years, died in 1year in that over heated crp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've past experience of death by tumble dryer and only dry my undies and sheets in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazey wrote:
    If the holes are small and appearing in natural fabrics (cotton, wool, silk) it is more likely to be biological washing powder/liquid causing the problem, if that is what you use. The enzymes that eat the stains also eat the fabric, if what I remember from a long explanation from a chemistry teacher who used to work for Lever is right.

Cedar balls, as recommended above, worked for me years ago when I found holes in woollen winter clothes stored in a wardrobe. At least it has not happened since then.

Hmmm, there's a thought. I do use biological washing powder. I think a change of powder and ceder balls should do the trick. Thank you :)