The Ratings Thread (Part 32)

Comments

• Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    We should rename this the "Eastenders Ratings Crisis Thread" given that seems to all anyone wants to talk about. Or perhaps "Eastenders Ratings Crisis (Tuesdays and Saturdays) thread". :rolleyes:

At least you have got it out of your systems now, because I suppose nobody will say a dickie bird tomorrow when tonight's
    overnights come out...

EastEnders Ratings Crisis Thread? What a great idea! I'll PM the mods now and get them to change it. ;):D
    derek500 wrote: »
    EE 8.153m

Emmerdale 7.544m. (+1 125k)

You were saying Robbie?? Just 0.6m between them again. Almost like the norm these days. ;)
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    Nazi Titanic: Revealed (New Series): 1.3m/5.3%
    Body of Proof (Season Finale): 1.4m/5.5%

Prisoners' Wives (Series Finale): 4.3m/17%
    The Fixer (Series Finale): 2.0m/8.3%
  • RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You were saying Robbie?? Just 0.6m between them again. Almost like the norm these days. ;)

Hm. As you say, "almost like the norm" - one is tempted to ask where's the suddenly emerging crisis?

The gap is of course bigger once you compare official consolidated ratings - and should one make a limited special exception to the anti-aggregation rule for soaps (on the basis the repeats have regular slots and committed viewers, particularly in EE's case, and each of the big 3 has a +1/+2 same night repeat so it's a level playing field), then it is bigger still.

EE is still the #2 show currently airing in the UK, comfortably, and has no major compelling storylines running - it is "having a breather", treading water, and will bounce back before long.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE is still the #2 show currently airing in the UK, comfortably, and has no major compelling storylines running - it is "having a breather", treading water, and will bounce back before long.
    Hah - you werent saying that when X Factor dipped. :rolleyes:
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Hm. As you say, "almost like the norm" - one is tempted to ask where's the suddenly emerging crisis?

The gap is of course bigger once you compare official consolidated ratings - and should one make a limited special exception to the anti-aggregation rule for soaps (on the basis the repeats have regular slots and committed viewers, particularly in EE's case, and each of the big 3 has a +1/+2 same night repeat so it's a level playing field), then it is bigger still.

How long before Countryfile outrates EE i wonder :D
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE last night was all about Lauren, not a reason to watch really. Apparently there is a juicier storyline next week. I haven't seen a football rating yet, I better go and peruse Twitter.

It seems BFGW won the 9pm slot, this would indicate that BCFC v Chelsea rated less than 4.5m. Awaiting official sources.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam Hodges claims 8.2m for EE. Also a very respectable 2.1m for the Nic & Lewis Hamilton doc at 10.35pm.

Gypsy Weddings got 4.48m.

4.3m for Prisoners' Wives.

A pitiful 3.4m for the FA Cup Replay on ITV1.

I forgot the football was on. That's why EE was a little below par. :rolleyes:

Holby City 5.0m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Hah - you werent saying that when X Factor dipped. :rolleyes:

Dipped?

:D

Is that bigger than a "dent" or worse?
  • BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    That's debatable. There's only so many ways to disguise that these are all basically the same show in ever so slightly different clothes.

To put it bluntly a lot of our soap stars aren't attractive enough to be successful in the US or at the very least don't have the right image. Not a problem the Australian soap stars have.

And in the UK it becomes very difficult for them to break away from their soap characters.
    Very true on all three accounts.
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Season one of Smash is indeed 15 episodes. Matching up with The Voice's run I believe. God knows what they're going to do with it creatively going forward though. Depends how quickly they burn through story this season I suppose.
    Probably repeat the same story cycle twice a year and forget the characters live in a real world around them. Well, it's worked for Glee.
    Dancc wrote: »
    Nazi Titanic: Revealed (New Series): 1.3m/5.3%
    So how did C5 link the Nazis to the Titanic then. Did Hitler plant the iceberg?
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member

So now you're using second showings to increase EE's ratings? Honestly Robbie you're going to have to write us all a list off rules when it comes to repeats and +1's as it getting too complicated these days. The fact is for March the figures are low. I personally wouldn't say crisis yet - but something needs to happen to reverse this decline.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goebbels et al made a propaganda film about Titanic showing the weakness of the UK. Hopefully it wasnt a prediction of how Fellowes' Titanic will be received. :D
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Very true on all three accounts.

Probably repeat the same story cycle twice a year and forget the characters live in a real world around them. Well, it's worked for Glee.

The Nazis decided to make a film about the sinking of the Titanic to portray the English class system and the (apparently) immoral behaviour of people who had bought shares in the White Star line hoping to make a huge profit.The idea was only the Nazis could rescue Britain from such depravity by invading. Unfortunately (despite being lent a real German battleship for some scenes) the film became hugely problematical, the director died in disputed circumstances after criticising the Nazis publicly (not a wise career move) and Goebbels, the propaganda chief, realised the sinking Titanic closely resembled the sinking German war effort by 1943.Actually it was quite a fascinating programme but Hitler only had a walk-on part.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand all the fuss about EastEnders being in crisis, just looking at the latest officials on Barb for the weekending 26th Feb the top episode of EastEnders had 9.11m and the lowest was at 8.03m and the top episode of Coronation Street had 9.25m and the lowest was at 7.95m, personally I don't think there is any crisis for any soap, they all fluctuate at different times, I think this thread is turning into The Sun for being a bit over the top with sensational crisis stories...utter rubbish!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Goebbels et al made a propaganda film about Titanic showing the weakness of the UK. Hopefully it wasnt a prediction of how Fellowes' Titanic will be received. :D

The Radio Times preview linked last night suggests the first hour is fairly pedestrian, all toffs Downtoning around aboard the ship, littered with corny references looking forward to the future (how little do they know what fate is about to befall them, but we do of course).

Sounds like a period episode of old style Casualty...

At least Cameron's epic had drama, tension, and got on with the sinking for the most part. The impression I get is that in the Fellowes version, the sinking is fairly incidental to the period toffery - probably saved them some budget too...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    CheekyTV wrote: »
    I don't understand all the fuss about EastEnders being in crisis, just looking at the latest officials on Barb for the weekending 26th Feb the top episode of EastEnders had 9.11m and the lowest was at 8.03m and the top episode of Coronation Street had 9.25m and the lowest was at 7.95m, personally I don't think there is any crisis for any soap, they all fluctuate at different times, I think this thread is turning into The Sun for being a bit over the top with sensational crisis stories...utter rubbish!!

I agree. There's no denying that EE needs to improve it's quality and the ratings are mediocre for this time of year.

Unfortunately, some people love to dive on EE when it's going through a bad patch yet when other soaps go through less than stellar periods, there is hardly a word spoken. EE is one of those shows that is popular to bash for some reason.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has been a lot of Eastenders debate recently, so thought it would be timely to post up some figures. I only have them back to the beginning of 2009 though.

Anyway if we delve into the figures it seems to be Mondays that dropped the most in comparison to recent years. I think that because Monday is generally the big "headline rating" for the soaps that probably does make Eastenders decline look slightly worse than it is. However I do think that on the whole Eastenders is in poor ratings shape for the time of year. Assuming it does not pick up in the next two months with stronger storylines, then it could well lead to very difficult summer for Eastenders. BGT week, Euros, Olympics, Wimbledon are all major players which could accumulate to weaken the show further. For the time being though I'd say it's one to keep an eye on, as some have mentioned there are some big storylines in the next month, so we should see some improvement hopefully.

Eastenders ratings - overnights, for first showings:
    Monthly averages - viewers (overnights)
           Jan     Feb    Mar
    2012   8.96   8.24   7.98
    2011   9.65   8.70   8.68
    2010   10.37  10.34  9.23
    2009   8.57   8.69   8.27

Monthly averages - shares (overnights)
           Jan     Feb    Mar
    2012   36.9   34.9   34.3
    2011   38.6   36.2   37.0
    2010   40.2   41.3   38.6
    2009   36.0   36.2   36.3

January viewers - day averages (overnights)
           Mon     Tue   Thur   Fri
    2012   9.22   8.77   9.03   8.58
    2011   10.00  9.70   9.83   9.16
    2010   10.62  10.45  10.13  10.31   
    2009   9.48   6.69   9.01   8.82

February viewers - day averages (overnights)
           Mon     Tue   Thur   Fri
    2012   8.51   8.35   7.80   8.31
    2011   9.32   8.57   8.82   8.08
    2010   10.58  10.06  9.77   10.89   
    2009   9.76   7.29   9.21   8.49

March viewers - day averages (overnights)
           Mon     Tue   Thur   Fri
    2012   8.12   8.15   7.64   8.00
    2011   9.30   8.77   8.46   8.16
    2010   9.70   9.18   9.07   8.72   
    2009   9.32   6.92   8.51   8.48

• GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dipped?

:D

Is that bigger than a "dent" or worse?

I dont know. I'll defer to an expert on pedantry and nit picking :D
  • ThinkofanameThinkofaname Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    CheekyTV wrote: »

BBC figures on BARB have HD incorporated into the Top Ten whereas ITV1 don't. You'd have to go to that chart and then total the two tables together to get the true number of viewers of Corrie
  • MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 4 (inc+1)
    Hollyoaks - 1.3m
    Supersize vs. Superskinny - 2.5m
    Big Fat Gypsy Weddings - 5.2m
    Shameless - 2.1m

E4 (inc+1)
    Big Bang Theory - 860,000
    Hollyoaks - 780,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    I dont know. I'll defer to an expert on pedantry and nit picking :D

I'm good on tautologies too... ;)
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,666
    Forum Member
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Very interesting and shocking doc about a propaganda film they made about the disaster. The ship they used to make the film was later sunk for real with many Jews from concentration camps on board, with the Nazis shooting anybody they could who tried to escape from drowning. There were few survivors, but a couple of them featured in the programme to help tell the story.

One of C5's best factual strands, as well as longest running. Great to have it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what the ratings for One Tree Hill were Monday 5th on E4? I'd be ever so grateful!
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,055
    Forum Member
    Eastenders' ratings seem ok to me, certainly not bad for a relatively cheap to make show which is 26 years old. Of course its ratings will decline over time, as ratings generally head downwards. Am sure in another 5 years time its figures will be closer to a regular 6 million.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Callum. wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the ratings for One Tree Hill were Monday 5th on E4? I'd be ever so grateful!

For some reason Monday's E4 info hasn't been released. Even C4 sales don't have indepth info. It's all very strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    For some reason Monday's E4 info hasn't been released. Even C4 sales don't have indepth info. It's all very strange.

Typical :( thanks anyways! :)
This discussion has been closed.