Options

Most stupid answer to a quiz question ever!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Whether the question was about a 'chronograph' or 'chronometer' is pretty much irrelevant as it's the 'chrono' bit that tells you the answer is 'time'.
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poshnosh wrote: »
    Disagree.

Everyone knows that Aled Jones recorded a song about the Abominable Snowman but he never recorded one about Big Foot. :)

I'd better go stand in the corner, I've heard of Aled Jones, but unlike everyone, who (apparently), knows he recorded a song about the Abominable Snowman, I didn't know.
  • Options
    Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whether the question was about a 'chronograph' or 'chronometer' is pretty much irrelevant as it's the 'chrono' bit that tells you the answer is 'time'.

but thats the point isnt it? if you dont know chrono relates to time then earthquakes is an acceptable guess and therefore not the most stupid answer to a quiz question ever
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I'd better go stand in the corner, I've heard of Aled Jones, but unlike everyone, who (apparently), knows he recorded a song about the Abominable Snowman, I didn't know.

The song was about a friendly snowman, although the snowman isn't actually mentioned in the lyrics of "Walking in the Air". :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    but thats the point isnt it? if you dont know chrono relates to time then earthquakes is an acceptable guess and therefore not the most stupid answer to a quiz question ever

Yeah, you're right. But I wasn't really commenting on whether it was the stupidest answer to a quiz question ever which it clearly isn't, although I did wrongly assume most people knew 'chrono' means time, I was responding to davads post as below.

See my post above. And - chronograph, chronometer...? At least one of these chortling posts hasn't even quoted the question accurately!
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So I suppose it all comes down to how stupid you judge it to be that somebody has somehow managed to avoid learning that chrono-something might be to do with time, and that they then put themselves in a position where their general knowledge or lack of it could be exposed on national television.

Anyway, my own personal favourite is from Pointless. When asked to name teams in the County Cricket Championship the contestant answered "Twickenham".

No doubt somebody will be along soon to say that was a reasonable guess if she wasn't interested in cricket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    So I suppose it all comes down to how stupid you judge it to be that somebody has somehow managed to avoid learning that chrono-something might be to do with time, and that they then put themselves in a position where their general knowledge or lack of it could be exposed on national television.

Anyway, my own personal favourite is from Pointless. When asked to name teams in the County Cricket Championship the contestant answered "Twickenham".

No doubt somebody will be along soon to say that was a reasonable guess if she wasn't interested in cricket.

No that is a stupid answer because Twickenham is not a county so in this context Rutland would be a reasonable guess even though its completely wrong and to most cricketers stupid.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member

Yep, I'd say that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you'd never heard of a seismograph or a seismometer either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if you'd never heard of a seismograph or a seismometer either.

which given the fact that they hadnt heard of a chronometer is not an unreasonable assumption.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wikipedia seems to think that chronograph is a perfectly suitable alternative to chronometer. Though of course, the 'graph' bit really means recording on some medium, such as a paper chart, rather than just measuring.

Greek O level really does help in these instances. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On 15 to 1 today:
    Which of the three Scottish banks that are authorised to issue banknotes shares its name with a heavy breed of draught horse?

Answer: NatWest.
  • Options
    methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    NatWest is a rational guess under pressure.

The National Westminster Bank Plc is wholly owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland who do issue bank notes.

How many people know that Clydesdale refers to both bank and a breed of horse?

Which quiz program was this? Was it on Scotland TV?
  • Options
    methyl_propylmethyl_propyl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    "Which European island country is known as the land of fire and ice?

I give up. What is the answer to the question as posed?
  • Options
    VanbastVanbast Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    On The Edge today.

"What is the name of earth's natural satellite... "

I really think the question could have stopped here but they ploughed on.

"... that is the brightest thing in the sky apart from the... "

The question was interrupted by the answer - "Venus"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    On 15 to 1 today:
    Which of the three Scottish banks that are authorised to issue banknotes shares its name with a heavy breed of draught horse?

Answer: NatWest.
    NatWest is a rational guess under pressure.

The National Westminster Bank Plc is wholly owned by the Royal Bank of Scotland who do issue bank notes.

How many people know that Clydesdale refers to both bank and a breed of horse?

Which quiz program was this? Was it on Scotland TV?

I think the clue is in the first line of my post. Yes, I am guessing it was on Scotland TV as well as the rest of the county.

And more people would know Clydesdale than think NatWest could possibly be a breed of horse! :)

This is a general knowledge quiz after all - not everyone is going to know everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Iceland. Plenty of volcanos and lots of ice.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Westeros
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/IWhich quiz program was this? Was it on Scotland TV?]

Scotland TV.....wtf.....I mean, really....?

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    Scotland TV.....wtf.....I mean, really....?

:D
    I refrained from commenting in my reply, but it's what you watch up there in Scottishland. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iceland. Plenty of volcanos and lots of ice.
    Even if somebody wasn't aware of the volcanoes - somehow missed all the kerfuffle over Eyjafjallajökull and was too young to remember John Noakes scrambling over Sertsey all those years ago - surely the key words "European island country" should narrow the field down enough to have a decent guess.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    I refrained from commenting in my reply, but it's what you watch up there in Scottishland. ;-)

I guess if you are from Engerland you could get confused but we prefer to call it Scotchland up here. ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Q - A jar of air and a person has been sold on what well known auction site?
    A - Google! :o
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She took a long time to get to that answer too...
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    It's possibly not the most stupid answer but given her position, I was astonished at that answer.