What is your view of the Universe?

Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
Forum Member
Discuss.

Sorry, I'm bored. *Gets coat and leaves*

Comments

• 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I just look up at the night sky and there it is.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's OK............I suppose..........
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one's view is really worth listening to, except as a way to pass the time and keep ourselves entertained on this banal Saturday night. No-one knows why, when, if, how, what or where.
  • Burning BallsBurning Balls Posts: 4,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are all living inside a giant ball.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why, but I just happen to think the Universe is endless. There's no way we'll find out in my lifetime though, even if we did happen to travel at light speed - maybe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I just happen to think the Universe is endless. There's no way we'll find out in my lifetime though, even if we did happen to travel at light speed - maybe.

Science might be able to support you on that.

From what I've read, the Universe is of finite size, but it is also boundaryless.

So theoretically you could travel in a straight line for millions of years and end up where you started. (If I remember correctly).
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask David Tennant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,666
    Forum Member
    I want my money back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are hardly anything that matters in relation to it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is big and dark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member

From what I've read, the Universe is of finite size, but it is also boundaryless.

So theoretically you could travel in a straight line for millions of years and end up where you started. (If I remember correctly).

yes, a hypersphere(3sphere)

that's what I believe, or it's something like that.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're travelling in a straight line, then surely you're going away from where you started? I'd imagine that the only way you'd get back to where you started, would be if you were going in a circular motion.

Edit: I've just looked up what a hypersphere is, and that's a circular motion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're travelling in a straight line, then surely you're going away from where you started? I'd imagine that the only way you'd get back to where you started, would be if you were going in a circular motion.

I don't fully understand it myself. (I'm not a scientist).

Stephen Hawking used the analogy of the surface of the Earth.

Space-time is curved like the surface of a globe. So he said that if you went for millions of years in a straight line, you could end up where you started.

(At least, that's what I remember). :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member

Edit: I've just looked up what a hypersphere is, and that's a circular motion.

but that's a circle in the forth dimension, so it would still be a straight line, for us.
  • Skeet UlrichSkeet Ulrich Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    distant
  • Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I was sure this thread was going to die after 1 post. Glad to see I sparked a bit of a debate :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudnox wrote: »
    but that's a circle in the forth dimension, so it would still be a straight line, for us.

Also space-time is curved by gravity.

It's quite complex and it's not really my field of study, so forgive me if I'm getting something wrong. :p
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is vast and barren, and my left sock is lost within it.