• Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,266
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    too soon? :p

Haha! It's never too soon, I did wonder if this would get bumped! :D
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to be honest though there is a decent chance we'll get zero golds at sochi, don't get me wrong it'd be great if we did get a gold, but britain just isn't that good at winter sports, still I think the british team is the strongest it's ever been at winter sports so we might get a gold.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see if the Lottery funding has worked as well in the Winter sports as it has for the Summer ones. They're certainly talking a good game suggesting we could be in for a record medal haul.
  • Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    too soon? :p
    The time is now :D
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's see if we can't dump all the trolls in here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing's for sure though - Team GB will be getting 0 golds at the Commonwealths.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we've not won any more golds since late afternoon. So it's not like the summer olympics is it...:D
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    If you're a Brit, you've already won the gold medal of life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if the Scottish vote for independence, they can hand it back....

Only kidding!!!

***Loves Scotland***:p
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T72TopWbXJg
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    And if the Scottish vote for independence, they can hand it back....

Only kidding!!!

***Loves Scotland***:p

See I blame the Scots for the poor performance - they're the ones that actually get snow.

Now if we can get bog snorkling in then the English & Welsh can start to contribute - as that seems to be our only "winter sport"
  • Virtual PaulVirtual Paul Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the scots go for independence I'll really miss Team GB, it will probably be one of the biggest casualties of the separation.

No more union jack, no more punching above our weight in the tables, just another bunch of small countries that also ran.

Depressing when you look at the history and achievements of our unified nation.

Do the right thing Scotland, we're only great together.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,596
    Forum Member
    This was the best thread of the games without a doubt.

The sarcasm in here is flawless in every way.

Never has a thread failed more spectacularly so soon, the OP should have waited as there was a nailed on cert for Gold the following day in Bradley Wiggins, i just didn't expect GB to win Gold earlier that day.:D
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    If the scots go for independence I'll really miss Team GB, it will probably be one of the biggest casualties of the separation.

No more union jack, no more punching above our weight in the tables, just another bunch of small countries that also ran.

Depressing when you look at the history and achievements of our unified nation.

Do the right thing Scotland, we're only great together.

They can still call them Team GB if they wish, Team UK just does not have the same ring, though I'm sure we would get used to it.

Of course many sporting bodies may just choose to ignore the split giving Scottish athletes the option to compete for either GBR or SCO (If Scotland sets up it own Olympic Committee) similar to Ireland/NI where athletes born there can compete for either GBR or IRE.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    They can still call them Team GB if they wish, Team UK just does not have the same ring, though I'm sure we would get used to it.

Of course many sporting bodies may just choose to ignore the split giving Scottish athletes the option to compete for either GBR or SCO (If Scotland sets up it own Olympic Committee) similar to Ireland/NI where athletes born there can compete for either GBR or IRE.

I heard a rumour that anyone born in Scotland before Independence day will have the choice of either representing GB or Scotland where there is a choice.

So there could be an occasion where, say in Hockey, Scotland and GB are both represented at the Olympics, but team GB could well include Scottish players.

No way should a vote "yes" deprive Scottish sportsmen/women the chance of GB olympic glory.

But, happily for everyone, the polls right now suggest we're staying together.
  • SlapstickGandhiSlapstickGandhi Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    tiger2000 wrote: »

As I understand it the four nations together are The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and so Team UK (or Team UKoGBaNI) would be more accurate. However that aside, Great Britain is England Wales and Scotland, Britain is England and Wales and England is...well England.

This means that if Scotland vote yes then unless we do go for Team UK we should really go for Team B which doesn't really set the right tone IMHO. :D

Another reason I'd like the Scots to stay...please stay with us Scotland.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will we not get any golds this weekend? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread that will never die, looking forward to seeing it again in August next year!
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,283
    Forum Member
    Speaking of medals the Aussies clearly feel they are missing out on a couple!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33663036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »

Wow! Awesome new Whinging world record set there! Surely it will stand for decades.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33663036

Not a chance, can you imagine the can of worms that would open.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do medals at Kazan and Beijing count?
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be forgotten, and with little coverage we got 10 golds in Glasgow. On top of that Baku Medals.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medals Table Glasgow 2014 http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/2014/medals/countries The Isle of Man silver came in Cycling

On the other hand from the Medals Table for London 1948: we only got three golds. http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/olympics_1948/

And let us not forget http://www.bbc.co.uk/2012/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold Coast site up and running http://www.gc2018.com/