Options

Breaking Bad Season 4 (US Pace) [Spoilers MUST be in tags!]

dannyb0yukdannyb0yuk Posts: 2,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems people are so desperate to be the ones to start a thread that they'll start them almost five months ahead of time (Dexter- seriously?), so I figure the new Breaking Bad thread must be way overdue at this point in time.

July 17th is the day we're waiting for, a day shy of ten weeks to go. It's been a horrendous wait, but as always its not nearly so bad now that its almost over... Of course, we were left with an absolute git of a cliffhanger and while I guess it's fairly safe to assume Walter and Jesse will get through it, I still have next to no idea how!

Usual rules apply: All spoilers and spoiler discussion must be kept within tags until they have aired, and are of course no longer spoilers. This includes promos for the following episode. Please respect this rule so that all viewers are able to use this thread :) Speculative talk is perfectly welcome.

The only Season 4 promo I'm aware of thus far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_s3hzeXR7o

However, I have just discovered while looking for the link that there are now strong indications (from Vince Gilligan) that the fifth season will be the last! - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xic9xz_rencontre-avec-vince-gilligan-createur-de-breaking-bad-vo_shortfilms (Bryan Cranston/Breaking Bad talk starts just before the ten minute mark.)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd just like to add, I've been watching that Vince Gilligan interview over the course of the evening and would strongly recommend it to any fan of the show. It's quite an in-depth insight into the show, rather than being the more broad interview I had initially thought it to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    This is a brilliant show, can't wait for series 4 :)
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannyb0yuk wrote: »
    I'd just like to add, I've been watching that Vince Gilligan interview over the course of the evening and would strongly recommend it to any fan of the show. It's quite an in-depth insight into the show, rather than being the more broad interview I had initially thought it to be.

Yeah great interview,"we're gonna take Mr Chips and turn him into Scarface" brilliant.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New trailer released today: http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/05/breaking-bad-season-4-trailer-press.html

No spoilers on that page, despite the site in question! I don't think there's any new footage in the promo, but I may be mistaken... It's certainly raised my anticipation levels :D

Six weeks Sunday!
  • Options
    Gott Sei DankGott Sei Dank Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I won't forget the date, I'm having eight teeth filled and two removed on the Friday before, at least I now have something to look forward to as well :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Bryan Cranston - worthy of any award he gets.

I was annoyed that they are doing a remake of Total Recall. How could they mess with a classic?!

Then I heard Bryan Cranston was on board so I am now actually looking forward to this film on the sole aspect of this actor.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a good feeling everything is finally going to work out for our protagonists in this season. They'll finally achieve an adequate balance between their work and family lives, make a lot of money without any consequences, and retire to live happily ever after. Or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to rewatch Season 3 to get me in the mood for this new one. And of course Rescue Me comes back for it's final season on 12th July. So July is looking a very good month indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A brief synopsis for episode 1!!! Please keep all related discussion in spoiler tags, thanks :)
    Episode 4.01 - El Topo: The fallout of the last scene between Jesse and Gale is revealed. Mike informs Gus of the current situation while Walt is held at the lab.

Oh and wait, here's a crap-tonne (yes, I just came up with that one from somewhere or other) of new info! It's more an outlook at what's to come, rather than direct spoilerage- but still read at your own risk!
    Forty-seven days from now, things are going to get bad again. In a good way. On July 17, AMC’s Breaking Bad returns for a fourth season, and if this cunning drug-world drama went out with a bang last season — as Jesse appeared to have shot Gale per Walt’s instruction — one can only imagine what nefarious misdeeds are in store for us now. Says series creator Vince Gilligan: “We try very hard to make this show as exciting and as nail-biting as possible, and I think in season 4 we’ve done some of our best work yet along those lines. There are going to be twists and turns that people will be talking about for a while to come, I believe.” To get yourself ready, check out these character-by-character teases, courtesy of Gilligan and series stars Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul. (And for those who need a SPOILER ALERT, consider yourself warned….)

Walt (Bryan Cranston) Our chemistry-teacher-turned-meth-maker manages to get himself in even more trouble, if that’s even a mathematical possibility. “Walt will find himself less enchanted with the world of meth production than he currently does,” says Gilligan. “He journeys deeper into this criminal underworld, and then much of season 4 is Walt’s effort to get out from under and overcome in a very dangerous battle of wills.” In other words, brace yourself for an epic struggle between Walt and Gus (Giancarlo Esposito).

“In many ways [Walt and Gus] have great admiration and respect for each other, for their specific abilities, and yet they’re adversaries,” says Cranston. “As much as they attempted to become a union, they’re too much at odds, which is interesting because they’re very similar in many ways and yet in a few key ways, they’re very different. It’s going to be interesting to see how it plays out, and it is a match of wits all the way through the season.”

Skyler (Anna Gunn) Walt’s relationship with his wife, Skyler, which has been in a downward spiral, will move in new directions this season. “Oddly enough, as his professional life gets darker, he and Skyler will come to some sort of an understanding,” says Gilligan. “We’ll see them partnered in a business, which will bring them together — and also cause a lot of friction. And the way they procure this business is a lot of fun…. It’s interesting that Walt has long felt that what he does, he does for his family, and in that sense he and Skyler share a trait. We will grow to, if not agree with many of her choices this season, respect her more this season for her mental toughness and pragmatism and desire to do right by her family.”

Adds Cranston: “Skyler sees capabilities in [Walt] that she’s never realized, and it changes her outlook. For the first time, she’s seeing her husband as a dangerous man — an intimidating, powerful man. And she gets involved, and she has some very good ideas and surprising ideas to Walt. So they become closer in at least one way.”

Jesse (Aaron Paul) Whatever happened when Walt’s partner, Jesse, fired his gun will have a profound impact on him. “It definitely echoes throughout the season,” says Paul. “Just him going up to that door and pulling the trigger, whether he killed Gayle or not, I see as definitely crossing that bridge, and now he’s living in a whole other world of just turmoil. All of last season, he was dealing with the loss of his girlfriend — he blamed himself, he had no idea that Walt had anything to do with it. So now Jesse is morphing into yet another person within himself, just struggling with his inner demons. It’s pretty intense.”

One way that manifests itself: Jesse distracts himself with debauchery. “Jesse’s going to have the party to end all parties,” says Gilligan. “We’re going to find out Jesse has some pretty amazing Hugh Hefner-ish genes, and he’s going to have the parties of all parties this season, but probably not one you would want to attend. Not after the first few days anyway.” He also finds himself with a new partner in crime in the form of a familiar face. “It’s a budding romance in the drug world,” hints Paul cryptically. “It’s a beautiful thing, and I know people will like it.”

Hank (Dean Norris) Everybody’s favorite DEA agent will unhappily embark on a difficult rehabilitation process after taking a few bullets in that chilling shootout. “Hank definitely has a very long road to recovery,” says Gilligan. “[But] even though things look pretty dire in the early going, he will get his mojo back as the season progresses in some fashion, although probably not in the fashion that you’d expect.”

Gus (Giancarlo Esposito) “People are going to have nightmares about Gus Fring,” declares Gilligan. Get set to see the full power of this drug lord in his battle with Walt and learn more about his empire and past. “This is a very interesting and complex character who is also very smart, and even when he scares us, we’ll always find ourselves respecting his intelligence and his will and his great ability to do the things that he does,” notes Gilligan.

Saul (Bob Odenkirk) Walt’s sleazy lawyer will be “pulled deeper and further into places he doesn’t want to go,” and he’ll work with a couple of new characters whom “we’re going to enjoy being around,” notes Gilligan. One is his new bodyguard, who is “exactly the kind of bodyguard you would expect Saul to hire.” And, of course, Mr. Goodman won’t disappoint in the fashion department. “We can expect more in the way of amazing, flamboyant and eye-piercing sartorial choices,” quips Gilligan. “Saul’s wardrobe could take the paint off of a fence.”

Marie (Betsy Brandt) Skyler’s klepto-sis may wind up stealing your heart this year. “She’s got her quirks and her peccadilloes, and we love her for that, but this season we’ll really respect her for personality traits that she had previously not revealed to us,” says Gilligan. “She works very hard to nurse her husband, whom she loves very much, back to health. And [through] that struggle, we’re going to appreciate her more because she’s a much more substantial person than some of us might have thought.”

Walt Jr. (RJ Mitte) Walt’s son turns the big 1-6, which means only one thing: He’s getting a car. “I’m looking forward to people seeing the car that he gets from his loving dad,” chuckles Gilligan. “It’s going to be one of the highlights this season.”

It just keeps coming :D
    Its time to get excited! One of the all-time greatest drama series to ever hit television returns this summer! First, Breaking Bad: Complete Third Season Blu-ray and DVD arrive next Tuesday, June 7th. Then the long-awaited Season 4 premiere of Breaking Bad hits on July 17th. We caught up with series' star Bryan Cranston today to talk about both Season 3 and Season 4, and he decided to drop a bombshell of a tease on us. On the Season 4 Premiere, one of the series' main characters is going to die! And it's anybody's guess as to who will be leaving the show.

Will Walt Jr. (RJ Mitte) finally succumb to the criminal life of his father? Will Hank (Dean Norris) not be able to survive a shoot out due to his Season 3 injuries? Has Walt had enough of Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk)? Or is Jesse (Aaron Paul) finally going to shake hands with the Destiny that was originally planned for him in Season 1 by series creator Vince Gilligan?

Here is what Bryan Cranston had to say about the demise of a key player less than ten minutes into the Emmy-winning AMC series' return.

"There is always a chance that (Aaron Paul) may not make it. Without giving away too many details, there is a character on our show that will not survive the first episode. How about that for a teaser?"

When asked if it was one of the key players, Bryan Cranston confirmed that one of the more beloved characters would not be coming back, further giving us an update on the show.

"Yeah. I will give you a little nugget there. A little tease. (This has) been a great season. This will be the first season that we have wrapped completely. We will be done and gone from New Mexico by the time the first episode airs. There will be some distance from what we are seeing. Again, Season 4 has been masterfully written by Vince Gilligan and his writing staff. To churn out the agony and the ecstasy of these characters? It's like a well-crafted tragedy. It keeps getting tighter and tighter. This life that Walter White has chosen is fraught with complications and tension. And its so exciting to watch it all play out."
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I got season 3 on DVD(region1) last week. A great series. The 3rd season was the best yet. I can't wait for the 4th season. Shame that in the UK it doesn't get much attention. I wonder how long the 4th season will take to get to the UK? I suspect I am going to have to get the DVD from the States, again. Or use other means! :D
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did the 3rd season ever show in the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!

Cannot wait.
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
    at fricking last!
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking forward to this for ages. Shame UK has not even had Season 3 yet. Shambles.
  • Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's the night indeed, lucky Americans! :D

Tomorrow is my birthday, and what better present for the early part of the day than what sounds like one of the best Breaking Bad eps yet?

I have a feeling Sky Atlantic will pick this up sooner or later. Like with Rescue Me, it continues to surprise me that this show didn't stay where it was originally. I know the reasons, but worse shows that are surely expensive first run get aired in the country regularly! Poorly treated by Five US then FX airs the first season again and that's it? Probably to burn it off. :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is surely one of the best shows on US TV at the moment. It's a rich summer indeed with this, Rescue Me, Damages, True Blood and Curb Your Enthusiasm all filling the cold and dark summer months along with some lesser sci-fi oriented programming from more obscure cable channels.

But you're right. Nobody watches it in the UK. Surely another candidate for Sky Atlantic. Though it should have found an audience on BBC Four or More4.
  • Options
    nainznainz Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brutal :D
  • Options
    kcirtapeimajkcirtapeimaj Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Brutal is an understatement. I'll have nightmares tonight for sure!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so deeply engrossed that I was shocked when it ended, I could've sworn it had been less than 47 minutes!!! The entire lab scene was just pure, unadulterated, gripping television. I had a feeling that he who died was indeed the one that was on his way out. You kinda got the feeling of that as soon as he got himself spotted...

Jesse was unnervingly composed in the aftermath but you get the impression that he's been put past a point now... I think he's seen so much that he would never have imagined he'd see and is becoming desensitized to such brutality. I'm fascinated to see what comes next, as this can only go one way now- Walt or Gus. The end shot may well be the sign of things to come...
  • Options
    Nate SeinfeldNate Seinfeld Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, just watched it, stunning. It really just gets grimmer as things go on! Brutal, very dark humour at times, and amazing acting. And it just flew in too, engrossing is the word, what an amazing show. I hope like with The Wire, it reaches a bigger audience here soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The episode opens with a flashback of how Gale started the meth operation up for Gus. There is a close up of a Stanley knife he is using to open the crates. The same one Gus uses to slash Victor's throat at the end? Now we know why the ep is called Box Cutter.

When first viewed it's just a knife. On second viewing the close up shot of the knife means so much more. Little things like this are what make this show so special.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was such a good episode - all the way through this series has been one of the hidden gems of modern television!

Just imagine something of this calibre being produced in the UK - could it ever happen where amorality wins?
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it. The show always seems to have me on the edge of my seat more than any other show. If the season continues like that its going to be a brilliant season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Superb opener. THAT scene was intense, with Bryan Cranston yet again proving that he's one of the best actors on TV (the bit where he was attempting to bargain for his and Jesse's life by saying that they need him was excellent). I was shocked at the violence, for an episode that was somehow rated TV-14 i felt that wouldn't have been out of place in a HBO show! Brutal!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Superb opener. THAT scene was intense, with Bryan Cranston yet again proving that he's one of the best actors on TV (the bit where he was attempting to bargain for his and Jesse's life by saying that they need him was excellent). I was shocked at the violence, for an episode that was somehow rated TV-14 i felt that wouldn't have been out of place in a HBO show! Brutal!:eek:

When Victor told Mike he had been seen at the crime scene I thought - bad idea. Just lie. I wonder if Gus meant to kill him as soon as he entered the ''factory''. Or was Gus going to kill Walt and Jesse, and Walt's reasoning changed his mind?