Options

Artem joins DWTS (allegedly)

21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
Forum Member
PureDWTS seem to believe Artem Chigvintsev has joined the upcoming series of Dancing With The Stars as a troupe member.

Where do you think this leaves him as far as Strictly is concerned? As a troupe member he won't be coaching a Celeb, but there's a history of troupe members hopping over to becoming full time Pro's (Gleb, Tristan, Emma and this season Henry all started as Troupies)

I wonder if last series of Strictly might have been his last?

The good news (for us) is that Tristan is not taking part in DWTS this season in any form, so hopefully BBC decide to right the wrong of 2010 and hire him (he'd make a fantastic replacement!)

Comments

• Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They got the info from a tweet from someone who's well informed, so I don't doubt it's reliable, but they announce the cast formally tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't mean anything as far as his role on Strictly's concerned - just a good opportunity for him in the off-season.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PureDWTS seem to believe Artem Chigvintsev has joined the upcoming series of Dancing With The Stars as a troupe member.

Where do you think this leaves him as far as Strictly is concerned? As a troupe member he won't be coaching a Celeb, but there's a history of troupe members hopping over to becoming full time Pro's (Gleb, Tristan, Emma and this season Henry all started as Troupies)

The good news (for us) is that Tristan is not taking part in DWTS this season in any form, so hopefully BBC decide to right the wrong of 2010 and hire him (he'd make a fantastic replacement!)

Peta, Sharna and Sasha also came from the troupe it is seen as a stepping stone to become a full time pro. Would love Tristan to join SCD but would hate to lose Artem & his choreography
  • Options
    NYBritNYBrit Posts: 48
    Forum Member

It's all true 21st CenturyBoy

I watched the annoucement of the new season's line up of DWTS on ABCs Good Morning America today.

And Artem was featured dancing in the opening clip.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL9wKD0M2so
  • Options
    BelgoLiftBelgoLift Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DWTS is also trying something new this year, from the ABC website: "In a first for “Dancing with the Stars,” the competition will feature a new game changing twist called “The Switch Up.” This season, America will be given the power to vote and change celebrities and professional dance pairings. This new rule will affect all couples as they will be required to switch partners at a point in the season. Never before have dance partnerships been split up during the course of competition."

Source: http://abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars/cast-announcement

I hope we never go that way with SCD.
  • Options
    Dilly 1Dilly 1 Posts: 39,906
    Forum Member
    BelgoLift wrote: »
    DWTS is also trying something new this year, from the ABC website: "In a first for “Dancing with the Stars,” the competition will feature a new game changing twist called “The Switch Up.” This season, America will be given the power to vote and change celebrities and professional dance pairings. This new rule will affect all couples as they will be required to switch partners at a point in the season. Never before have dance partnerships been split up during the course of competition."

Can you imagine if your favourite pro had a good contender and then midway through the series ended up with a proper duffer! :o>:( ..... On the other hand if they started off with a duffer and ended with a potential winner it would be pretty funny ;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dilly 1 wrote: »
    Can you imagine if your favourite pro had a good contender and then midway through the series ended up with a proper duffer! :o>:( ..... On the other hand if they started off with a duffer and ended with a potential winner it would be pretty funny ;-):D

Definitely a funny or tragic twist depending on your point of view! The DwtS twist is just for one week though, after which the celeb will decide if they want to stay with the new pro or go back. I think it could be fun! (Dunno what happens if they're fighting over the same pro :confused:). In all seriousness, I do think a new .. er...'perspective' could be very interesting (or just disruptive!), but seeing as the public are deciding the switch, I suspect they'll aim for maximum mischief :D.
  • Options
    aimeeaimee1000aimeeaimee1000 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCD would not be the same for me if Artem was not in the show.His dancing and choreography far surpasses any of the present professionals, he would be sadly missed

I truly hope he returns to the UK
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget DWTS has two season a year while Strictly only does one series. It's a long time between Strictlys so it would make sense if Artem were fill in the time doing DWTS now and then do Strictly later in the year.

What's the current status of his relationship with Kara? If they're still together he might well choose to come back to do Strictly.
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    Don't forget DWTS has two season a year while Strictly only does one series. It's a long time between Strictlys so it would make sense if Artem were fill in the time doing DWTS now and then do Strictly later in the year.

What's the current status of his relationship with Kara? If they're still together he might well choose to come back to do Strictly.

I hope it's just a time-filling occupation. Dancers have to go where the work is and Artem doesn't have a touring show in the UK like many of the other pro dancers. He has been in the DWTS troupe before and was in a relationship with Carrie Ann Inaba, which I guess put paid to his chances of promotion to become a pro partner. Then he got the gig with Strictly.

As far as anyone knows, he's still with Kara. There were tabloid rumours of an impending split before Christmas, followed by pap photos of them out and about holding hands. *shrugs*

I don't know if his former relationship with CAI would still be a bar to his being a full pro partner on DWTS. Maybe there's been enough of a gap for it not to matter. The split was amicable by all accounts and they have nothing but good things to say about each other. Still, I'd be very sorry to lose him to the USA.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    I hope it's just a time-filling occupation. Dancers have to go where the work is and Artem doesn't have a touring show in the UK like many of the other pro dancers. He has been in the DWTS troupe before and was in a relationship with Carrie Ann Inaba, which I guess put paid to his chances of promotion to become a pro partner. Then he got the gig with Strictly.

As far as anyone knows, he's still with Kara. There were tabloid rumours of an impending split before Christmas, followed by pap photos of them out and about holding hands. *shrugs*

I don't know if his former relationship with CAI would still be a bar to his being a full pro partner on DWTS. Maybe there's been enough of a gap for it not to matter. The split was amicable by all accounts and they have nothing but good things to say about each other. Still, I'd be very sorry to lose him to the USA.

No he wasn't actually in the troupe before he did some guest spots like Aliona, Anya, Pasha and I think Iveta but he was never in the troupe. The troupe was introduced in season 12 - 2011 a year after Artem won with Kara. Guest spots were that they appeared a couple of time of dwts whereas the troupe used to be on nearly every result show before they changed the result show last season now the troupe dance in and out of ad breaks & does some pro group numbers not as many as they used to
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    kp2ni wrote: »
    No he wasn't actually in the troupe before he did some guest spots like Aliona, Anya, Pasha and I think Iveta but he was never in the troupe. The troupe was introduced in season 12 - 2011 a year after Artem won with Kara. Guest spots were that they appeared a couple of time of dwts whereas the troupe used to be on nearly every result show before they changed the result show last season now the troupe dance in and out of ad breaks & does some pro group numbers not as many as they used to

This is True and also, PROS on DWTS usually get opportunities to do a lot of other things. Between all of it they end up becoming millionaires or close to it. If the opportunity presents itself for Artem to stay he might. A dancer's career is not that long unless in demand and good health. The way they rotate now, you go into the Troop first before getting bumped to PRO on the show. Just because a dancer doesn't dance for a season on the show doesn't mean they are out, they usually end up doing other things for the show and the network. Ex; Kim Johnson and Maks weren't on last season but they are back this season.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't he Russian? Surely he is going to be banned from DWTS and SCD ... :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idetached wrote: »
    This is True and also, PROS on DWTS usually get opportunities to do a lot of other things. Between all of it they end up becoming millionaires or close to it. If the opportunity presents itself for Artem to stay he might. A dancer's career is not that long unless in demand and good health. The way they rotate now, you go into the Troop first before getting bumped to PRO on the show. Just because a dancer doesn't dance for a season on the show doesn't mean they are out, they usually end up doing other things for the show and the network. Ex; Kim Johnson and Maks weren't on last season but they are back this season.

Kym isn't back. I agree the troupe is used as the pool for new teaching pros, but they can be pretty ruthless in the way they dispense with the pros they no longer have use for. I also think that only a select bunch of their pros get to do their own thing and still be invited back. I'm not suggesting it isn't a good career/financial opportunity for any dancer, but it strikes me as shark infested water. (I'm sure Artem will be back, but I hope he keeps his bs detector on full gain ;-))
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BelgoLift wrote: »

I think in the past it's been suggested as a method of shaking things up temporarily.

Imagine the knotted knickers on here though if it were to be implemented....I can recall on past occasions the very act of saying "oh, it worked quite well when X filled in for Y when X was injured, didn';t it?" resulting in vociferous condemnation of the hapless poster, accusing them of being an advocate of dumping certain pros.....
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't miss him at all. Bon Voyage Artem x
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

Is he definitely not doing Strictly again? I certainly wouldn't miss him either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Is he definitely not doing Strictly again? I certainly wouldn't miss him either.

BIB - Until I hear something convincing to suggest otherwise, I'm expecting him back. I would miss him terribly!
  • Options
    Polly503Polly503 Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »

I don't think he will be back and I don't think him and kara are still together now.
  • Options
    AmSalt12AmSalt12 Posts: 4,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pure speculation nothing has been confirmed between Artem and Kara.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the cameramen are armed with polarising filters in case he bares his unnaturally white teeth in their direction and gives the the U S & A epileptic fits
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the cameramen are armed with polarising filters in case he bares his unnaturally white teeth in their direction and gives the the U S & A epileptic fits

Ach. Artem's teeth barely register ...... http://edgecast.metatube-files.buscafs.com/uploads/videos/image/image_228086_2.jpg :p
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Kym isn't back. I agree the troupe is used as the pool for new teaching pros, but they can be pretty ruthless in the way they dispense with the pros they no longer have use for. I also think that only a select bunch of their pros get to do their own thing and still be invited back. I'm not suggesting it isn't a good career/financial opportunity for any dancer, but it strikes me as shark infested water. (I'm sure Artem will be back, but I hope he keeps his bs detector on full gain ;-))

To be honest I don't think it's any different to any aspects in performing arts be it acting, musical theatre or dance. Any one performer can be dropped like a hot potato if it suits . Sad to say it's the nature of the beast
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »

Bright lights! Bright lights!

Keep that stored somewhere safe then if you are invaded by gremlins just flash that picture and they will soon drop down dead:D
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In UK he's a #1 wafter, in US he'd be just one of many
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, amen to that