is a mini a good first car to buy?

kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
Forum Member
✭✭
hi im starting to learn to drive again soon, in the next month or so and while it's looking ahead a bit, i wondered if a mini would make a good first car? i've no previous driving experience, im female, 45 and would be looking at used cars as there is no way i could afford a brand new mini!!
any advice welcome
thanks in advance

Comments

• HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minis are desirable and therefore expensive.. they're also all quite powerful I think for their size and probably more to tax and insure.

Surely for a first car something like a Corsa, Fiesta, Clio, Pug 106 or something would be far cheaper to both buy and run?
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Minis are desirable and therefore expensive.. they're also all quite powerful I think for their size and probably more to tax and insure.

Surely for a first car something like a Corsa, Fiesta, Clio, Pug 106 or something would be far cheaper to both buy and run?

I'd agree with this, and certainly would cost you less in parts etc than you'd get with a mini. I also think it's probably more sensible to get used to a 'normal sized' car, minis are tiny, I've driven my friends a few times, and cant believe the spaces I can park in! Great for me, but when my friends driven my car, she's a wreck, it's a standard Peugeot but to her, it's a monster! Lol

Key things will be insurance although you're older so I think you'll pay a little less than an under 25?, but then at 45 money may be less an issue, probably best to test drive a few cars, get experience with different vehicles, you soon find what's most comfortable to drive, the aesthetics are less the issue, IMO.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Mini isn't really mini anymore. It's not far off the size of cars like the Corsa and Fiesta.

One of the women at work bought a 2nd hand Mini for about £5k and in the last year or so it's been in and out of the garage having the clutch done, the exhaust done and other bits and pieces. They can be quite expensive for parts and repairs.

They don't have a spare wheel either because they use run-flat tyres which are designed to allow you to drive to a garage to get your tyre changed. I might be wrong but I don't think these type of tyres can be repaired either so you end up buying a new one which is expensive compared to normal tyres.

Personally for a first car I'd go with a small car like a Fiesta, Corsa or other manufacturers equivalent sized car. But it's up to you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Mini isn't really mini anymore. It's not far off the size of cars like the Corsa and Fiesta.

One of the women at work bought a 2nd hand Mini for about £5k and in the last year or so it's been in and out of the garage having the clutch done, the exhaust done and other bits and pieces. They can be quite expensive for parts and repairs.

They don't have a spare wheel either because they use run-flat tyres which are designed to allow you to drive to a garage to get your tyre changed. I might be wrong but I don't think these type of tyres can be repaired either so you end up buying a new one which is expensive compared to normal tyres.

Personally for a first car I'd go with a small car like a Fiesta
    , Corsa or other manufacturers equivalent sized car. But it's up to you.

I would agree with that. Almost bulletproof.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fiesta 1.4 or 1.6TDCi. £20 a year tax, brilliant mpg and if you go for the diesel, will hold value better than the petrol. No idea how much your budget is but you won't go far wrong with the Fiesta.

My neighbour (female schoolteacher 5 years older than you!) bought one last year and is really pleased with it.

The BMW Mini actually is quite large. And they aren't 'proper' Mini's anyway......just a BMW creation with the Mini name stuck on! If you were talking 'proper' Mini, then we are into a totally different realm there and i could write you a book on those! But somehow i think you meant the BMW creation?
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Truth is, all modern cars are nice. Work out your budget, sit in a few different cars, and pick the one you can afford and like best.

In 10 years time, you will struggle to get more than a few hundred for anything, so if you pay say -8000 now, 10 years motoring will cost you 800 a year for the car bit.
  • andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    You get much better value in Corsas, Fiestas... etc, I would go for one of them as your first car but its your choice!
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowt wrong with Minis - my mate runs around in his, albeit rebuilt, 1963 model. No tax needed, parks in the smallest of parking spaces, and is great fun to drive!
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can also depend on your circumstances and how you're planning to use the car.
    The new Mini is only a 4 seater as there is no centre seat / seat belt in the back. So if you were a family with 3 kids it wouldn't work and the boot isn't that big in that situation either.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks everyone who has replied, always great to get feedback from experienced drivers!!
    i'm rethinking now and am looking at fiestas and i've seen a ford KA, which fits my budget and looks like a nice little car...
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with a Skoda Fabia!

I think they'd be an ideal first car.
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly - no a Mini woudn't be a good choice:

If you're a learner you want something which has low insurance - the Mini doesn't owing to the fact it has a 1.6 engine and expensive (BMW) parts.

The best cars for a learner are superminis - the obvious choices would be a Fiesta or Corsa. The best superminis in terms of reliability and low costs though remain those of Japanese origin - I'd suggest looking at a Toyota Yaris, Nissan Micra or Mitsubishi Colt - all will be far more reliable than one of the European 'branded' cars.

And - to demonstrate - my wife has a Honda Jazz - this car is 10 years old this year and has done circa 60k miles. The only 'repair' we've had to have on this car in the last 3 years is a new exhaust. It has never failed its MOT in the 7 years we've had it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    Firstly - no a Mini woudn't be a good choice:

If you're a learner you want something which has low insurance - the Mini doesn't owing to the fact it has a 1.6 engine and expensive (BMW) parts.

The best cars for a learner are superminis - the obvious choices would be a Fiesta or Corsa. The best superminis in terms of reliability and low costs though remain those of Japanese origin - I'd suggest looking at a Toyota Yaris, Nissan Micra or Mitsubishi Colt - all will be far more reliable than one of the European 'branded' cars.

And - to demonstrate - my wife has a Honda Jazz - this car is 10 years old this year and has done circa 60k miles. The only 'repair' we've had to have on this car in the last 3 years is a new exhaust. It has never failed its MOT in the 7 years we've had it.

thanks alan, that sounds like a great recommendation!! Ideally i'd love to have one to have supervised practice in between lessons but its getting people to take me out on the road, everyone i know is so busy...anyway, i;ll just start my lessons, get the theory test out of the way and buy a car later on, hopefully in about 6-9 months or so, i should have enough saved by then, i just wanted a general idea but i'm very grateful for all the feedback!! :):)
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see you are looking at other cars now but just to add to what everyone else said don't get the mini. I did for my first car(not new), I was over 25 but it still cost a few thousand in insurance. After a year or so the clutch went and then once that was fixed the exhaust broke. When the mechanic picked it up after the clutch going he said he was continually replacing them on minis. I would go for something much cheaper. As much as I love mine/them I am quickly getting rid because it's just not worth the costs.
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    thanks everyone who has replied, always great to get feedback from experienced drivers!!
    i'm rethinking now and am looking at fiestas and i've seen a ford KA, which fits my budget and looks like a nice little car...

I had the original Ford KA and loved it to bits! Owned it for years and was relatively trouble-free. Not sure about the newer Fiat 500-inspired model but if Ford were still building the original KA I'd have another like a shot!
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had two Ford KAs, one after another. They are cheap to buy, tax and insure, easy to drive and park - but like all superminis they will usually come off worst in an accident. They are so small and their value so low that they can be written off easily. (I speak from experience! :() But they are very good first cars because they are inexpensive.

My current car is a Chevrolet Aveo - a 1.2, which is also cheap to run but more spacious and a bit more substansial than a KA. Worth a test drive - although the acceleration is slow.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your doing lots of miles, consider a diesel. If not, go for a petrol car.
    Truth is, there are no really bad cars anymore, just some are a bit better than others, and some are designed for more specific roles, eg people carriers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    If your doing lots of miles, consider a diesel. If not, go for a petrol car.
    Truth is, there are no really bad cars anymore, just some are a bit better than others, and some are designed for more specific roles, eg people carriers.

thanks david, i think initially it will just be for commuting/shopping but once i've had some experience, who knows!!
    :D
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    I had two Ford KAs, one after another. They are cheap to buy, tax and insure, easy to drive and park - but like all superminis they will usually come off worst in an accident. They are so small and their value so low that they can be written off easily. (I speak from experience! :() But they are very good first cars because they are inexpensive.

My current car is a Chevrolet Aveo - a 1.2, which is also cheap to run but more spacious and a bit more substansial than a KA. Worth a test drive - although the acceleration is slow.

I had 3 KAs consecutively and found them great little cars. Cheap to tax, insure and run and I literally never spent a penny between MOTs on any of them. Only not got one now as I wanted a convertible and the Street Ka is only 2 seats so not practical
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I had 3 KAs consecutively and found them great little cars. Cheap to tax, insure and run and I literally never spent a penny between MOTs on any of them. Only not got one now as I wanted a convertible and the Street Ka is only 2 seats so not practical

i really like the look of this car...it would be perfect for me re size and maneuverability, and i think it would be suitable for my budget, luckily i have a friend whose husband has kindly offered to look over any potential cars for me so thats a bonus as i wouldnt have a clue and they would see me coming a mile off!!:o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    A "Proper" Mini
  • phillip2phillip2 Posts: 1,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my first car was a mini, still got the same one, never looked back, briliant first car,much more inexpensive than people think, new shape not mr bean shape, (2003+) can be from £2000 used. have a look, and as for insurance was cheaper for me than 1996 1998 corsas and ka's.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really like the look of this car...it would be perfect for me re size and maneuverability, and i think it would be suitable for my budget, luckily i have a friend whose husband has kindly offered to look over any potential cars for me so thats a bonus as i wouldnt have a clue and they would see me coming a mile off!!:o:D

If you are looking to buy the earlier shape KA then you need to know that they suffer from serious corrosion problems and whomever looks at one that you may be looking to buy then they need to be aware of this fact.

They rot on the sills, especially under the doors and at the back near the wheel arch....inner sills as well, plus the door bottoms.
    Also the tops and bottoms of the wings, around the fuel filler, around the boot door handle and around the front of the bonnet.
    They also rot (as do Fiestas) under the driver's floor and jacking points both sides.
    Check the disc brakes are in good condition and the lower front suspension wishbones and top strut mounts are ok.
    If there are lots of rough looking points on the areas I mentioned on the bodywork, walk away!
    Make sure the power steering pipes are in good condition and not corroded....they cost around £500 to replace and are a very common problem.
    I see rotten Ford KAs on a regular basis in the course of my business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    If you are looking to buy the earlier shape KA then you need to know that they suffer from serious corrosion problems and whomever looks at one that you may be looking to buy then they need to be aware of this fact.

They rot on the sills, especially under the doors and at the back near the wheel arch....inner sills as well, plus the door bottoms.
    Also the tops and bottoms of the wings, around the fuel filler, around the boot door handle and around the front of the bonnet.
    They also rot (as do Fiestas) under the driver's floor and jacking points both sides.
    Check the disc brakes are in good condition and the lower front suspension wishbones and top strut mounts are ok.
    If there are lots of rough looking points on the areas I mentioned on the bodywork, walk away!
    Make sure the power steering pipes are in good condition and not corroded....they cost around £500 to replace and are a very common problem.
    I see rotten Ford KAs on a regular basis in the course of my business.

what would you recommend as a first car, and how much would you recommend spending? assuming as you say you know your stuff
    thanks ;-)
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what would you recommend as a first car, and how much would you recommend spending? assuming as you say you know your stuff
    thanks ;-)

I run a small car repair business and the most reliable cars I see are....as mentioned earlier by AlanO....the Yaris, the Honda Jazz, the Mitsubishi Colt, plus the Kia Picanto and the small Hyundais. The Polos are alright, but have a lot of media hype behind them and tend to be expensive because of that.

How much to spend is up to you, but if you are going to a dealer and obviously have no part exchange you must expect to get a good discount for not having a part exchange....make sure you are strong on that point...if one dealer won't give a good discount for no part ex then find one that will!